• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 ludwig

ludwig

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

gtitdi140, sorry to hear about your problems.

<They said everything was ok >

Did they do a road test?

If not, it makes me very cross.

Was it a case of " computer says no..."?

I had a similar problem with the ESP module in my Golf MkIV about 4 years ago.

It went in twice for them to say "computer says ok".  It wasn't.

On the third visit they found the fault and replaced the module - 250 I recall.  It was under warranty.

Sorry to witter on but it does get me mad.

I hope you get it sorted out very soon.

ludwig

#32 Thirtytwo

Thirtytwo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this site site so please excuse the untidy signature stuff, my forum computing skills are very basic, but I'm sure they will get better.

Anyhow just to say that this particular post, is quite worrying, as I also have DSG.

Came by it by way of a 3 month old Audi S line fitted with DSG, thought the car was superb especially the gearbox, only did about 10k miles before the missus persuaded to return to the BMW fold, last July.  No problems with that car

In October I treated myself to a MK V R32 with DSG, I just love driving the car and the gearbox is the icing on the cake for me.

I have an extended warranty which is either 5 or 6 years, I'm going to check, but normally only keep a car for about 3years, so I should be covered.

If I encounter any problems gearbox wise I will refer to this thread. 

I was also aware of the display problems Audi had, and the dashboard replacement issues.

#33 neg

neg

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Although there are and will be problems with this box I dont think we should all get too worried, its likely (fingers crossed) that you wont have any problems - there must be loads of these gearboxes out there by now and some high mileage one's at that.

#34 gttdi140

gttdi140

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi ludwig,

Thanks for your message.  Sorry to everyone interested in my DSG saga for not posting sooner.  As I mentioned previously, I seeked legal advice on this matter and I didn't get far.  I have to prove that VW sold me a defective car and provide evidence when my car was seen by the dealers regarding issues with the DSG.  As I reported over the years to the dealers about power loss issues and changing down gears not making any difference, they (the dealers) couldn't fault the DSG.  The faults with the DSG were very intermittent and spread out of the years that everytime I turn off the engine the fault has cleared.  So taking the car to the dealer and parking up before entering the showroom, the fault probably has cleared. So when the technicians look at my car during the day they can't find any faults.  They will test drive the car and all seems OK.  As they looked at and carried out the work under warranty, I never received any paperwork to confirm what the dealers have done to my car during the time that my car was with them.  They enter the info on their computers and produce a worksheet for the technicians to work on my car, but at the end of the day when I collect my car they just tell me to sign the worksheet to sign off any work that they have done and I get my keys back.  I never have received a copy of the worksheet at all.  Make sure you get a copy of any work carried out under warranty (lesson learnt).

I have now agreed to pay the 1250 (40%) for a replacement DSG as VW Technical will only contribute 60% towards the cost of parts, labour and VAT.  By the time I have spent money on hiring cars, public transport and also the idea of having an independant garage look at my car (including the need to hire a flat-bed truck to take and collect my car from the independant garage), I will have probably spent around 600.  This would be half the cost VW are asking for the replacement DSG.  Being without a car is so painful and inconvenient.  The dealer who knows I have reported DSG issues and they couldn't find any faults will not help with any contributions as they keep saying my car is out of warranty now.  VW Customer Care will not help either.  So much for VW loyalty and customer service.  This will be the last ever time I will buy any normal VAG group car from Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi.  Forgetting Bugatti and Lamborghini just in case anyone is trying to be a smarty pants.  Joking.  I used to have a MK4 Golf 1.6 and I suffered from the dreaded ignition coil problem.  Two VW cars with manufacturing defects is two too many.

Legally, I do have a strong case with evidence from diary entries when I took my car to the dealers for them to look at.  As I don't have written evidence (hard copy) of the work done, it's my word against theirs.  I don't think the dealers will provide the info I require to back up my case against them.  Also, if I got an independant report faulting the DSG, VW/dealer have to agree to the findings of the report to confirm what has caused the DSG to fail.  Without the info from VW I feel that there so much stacked against me, I don't feel that I can win against VW.  It will take 7-10 days to have a new DSG built, delivered to the dealer and half to one day to fit.  I will also get a two year warranty on the DSG should anything else happen.

For all you owners of DSG equipped VAG cars under warranty, any small issues with the DSG get it looked at promptly before it's too late including clunking noises etc as mine does that too.. Also get a copy of the work done.  I take this as a very expensive lesson for not getting written hard copy evidence to say that the DSG was looked at and no faults were found.  I still feel that their is a huge fundamental design flaw/fault of some sort with the DSG and will never buy a VAG group car again and any car with any twin-clutch automatic gearbox.  The technology is still too new for all the bugs to be ironed out.  Stick to normal automatics and manuals.

Thank you to you all for your messages and replies.  If I get any more news I will let you all know

gttdi140

#35 neg

neg

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Are the dealer saying its 100% the gearbox or the Mech unit ?  Are they replacing both parts.

Sorry if I missed it above, just trying to see what 'exactly' the problems with yours is or is it the fact it keeps failing but there is no answer and to resolve you are having it replaced?

#36 gttdi140

gttdi140

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi neg,

I did explain it in the above posts.  The tech who has been working on my car isn't in until some time this week.  The service desk guy only could tell me that they have been in contact with VW Technical and there is some electrical fault.  They produced some kind of troubleshooting list and VW technical says that the whole DSG needs replacing.  The DSG keeps on failing and going into limp mode.  This can happen at anytime without warning.

gttdi140

#37 Hurdy

Hurdy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

GTTDI140 - that is a terrible story.

I have now had 3 cars with DSG and one did require the ECU controller replacing as the car suffered from sporadic cutting out from a standing start. My other two cars have been fine and I hope my present one will continue to be for a long time.

Have you tried getting hold of the dealers records that they hold on your car?. The details they hold on you and your car should be available on request under the data protection act surely?

#38 diesel4

diesel4

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

Mine is 110K with no issues, (touching wood repeatedly)

#39 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Have you tried getting hold of the dealers records that they hold on your car?. The details they hold on you and your car should be available on request under the data protection act surely?

The dealer will try and keep this from you for reasons already explained. I had the same issue when my MK4 V6 4motion was recovered to my local dealer for investigation, photos, issues of risk of fire etc etc. The keys were handed back to me without a shread of paper, when asked for the worksheet, they refused and said that it's their own record not mine. When I demanded to see the service manager (it's my bloody car and if you have worked on it, I will have the record from you!) they then appeared with the sheet of paper photocopied. The service receptionist gave me the kind of look you give someone who is being a sharp pin and left me to it.

#40 gttdi140

gttdi140

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi enigma1992,

I was just going through some old Auto Express mags I had lying around and there was an article about a guy who was buying a car.  He wanted to know that cars previous service/warranty history for the car and the dealer would not give it to him.  Even the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) wouldn't help.  The data protection act will only covers personal information such as name, address etc.  Data that isn't linked to individuals such as car sevice/warranty histories is not covered under that act.

I am still currently carless and I told the dealer to go ahead with ordering a new DSG.  They said it will take 7-10 days to get the DSG.  I found out that they ordered the wrong DSG, how I don't know with computerised part numbers etc.  By the end of this week, It will be a month without my car.  The dealer told me that the part that has failed in the DSG is the valve control unit which controls the oil flow to the clutches and gears.  According to them, the unit is sealed as a whole unit and the whole DSG needs to be replaced.  I personally think that the part can be replaced, but feel that VW know something about the failures and instead of repeat failures are replacing the whole gearbox.

I have also read that people in the USA have had DSG failures and had replacement boxes.  The dealers that carried out the work damaged all sorts of things such as axles and driveshafts.  They also need to replace the mounting bolts as I have heard that they can only be used once.  I don't think the stealers give a damn as they can damage other parts to make more money.  I think I will get rid of the car soon after I get it repaired and vow not to get another VAG group car again or any car with a fancy twin-clutch gearbox.

gttdi140

#41 gttdi140

gttdi140

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

Hi to you all,

Just a quick note to say that a new DSG has been fitted and all is well now (also 1200 out of pocket. [:@]).  I did have a small problem with the mounting bolts which caused some clunking/knocking noises under the car, but this has been sorted out now.  The car feels different and sluggish at times.  I am told that it's the DSG learning my driving style.  I find it better to change gear manually using the paddles or the gear lever so I dictate when the gearbox changes gear and have the response I need.  In Drive Mode, the DSG changes to 2nd gear and the revs drop relying on the torque of the engine to pull the car along.  I feel this is dangerous, specially at a roundabout.  I have had enough of taking my car back to the dealers and I'm trying to settle back into driving my car again.

Thanks to you all for your replies and comments.

gttdi140

#42 m4tthall

m4tthall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

My 2.0 VW Golf TDI DSG broke down on Thursday on the M25. The gears suddenly wouldn't change. The car has 31K on the clock and is a 56 reg. It went into the VW garage on Friday and I have subsequently found out it needs a new gearbox. Fortunately it is under warranty, but now I am concerned about whether this is likely to happen again, especially as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

#43 neg

neg

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Have they given a reason for the failure?

Replacing the complete gearbox just seems like a extreme fix, surely something failed and that bit needs replacing.

#44 fastismycopilot

fastismycopilot

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

My 2.0 VW Golf TDI DSG broke down on Thursday on the M25. The gears suddenly wouldn't change. The car has 31K on the clock and is a 56 reg. It went into the VW garage on Friday and I have subsequently found out it needs a new gearbox. Fortunately it is under warranty, but now I am concerned about whether this is likely to happen again, especially as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Worrying. It's persuading me to go for the extended warranty when the 3 years are up, that's for sure. Best of luck with getting it all sorted in a satisfactory manner.

#45 m4tthall

m4tthall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

Also, got told by the garage that you cannot get DSG gear boxes off the shelf, they need to be ordered in from Germany so I have at least a 10 day wait. No doubt that will drag on for weeks. [:(]

#46 Lean

Lean

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

Worrying. It's persuading me to go for the extended warranty when the 3 years are up, that's for sure. Best of luck with getting it all sorted in a satisfactory manner.

Does the extended warranty cover the dsg gearbox ? Also how much is that costing? I will definatly be going for the extended warranty too.

#47 neg

neg

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

Around £400 per year upto 15k miles

#48 coupechamp

coupechamp

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hi all, i have DSG on an Edition 30 and touch wood no probs.  Part of the reason for me getting DSG was that as an instructor at Silverstone we had the Audi TT with DSG, they where driven hard by us and by every Joe Blogsschumacker that turned up at the gates.... we never had box problems with our fleet.  Good luck to all.

Doug

#49 fastismycopilot

fastismycopilot

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hi all, i have DSG on an Edition 30 and touch wood no probs.  Part of the reason for me getting DSG was that as an instructor at Silverstone we had the Audi TT with DSG, they where driven hard by us and by every Joe Blogsschumacker that turned up at the gates.... we never had box problems with our fleet.  Good luck to all.

Doug

Cheers for that Doug, nice to have some reassurance on the matter. I won't worry quite as much as I was now. Only a little bit. [:)]

#50 Jlo

Jlo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi All,

I have a 55 plate GTI DSG which is 4oo miles off 60K.

Dropped in the car on Friday to dealer to have the VW badge replaced (on the tailgate as its corroded) and mentioned that recently the gear box has not been as smooth and sometimes jumps in to the wrong gear. Also a couple of times when slowing down and pulling off its reved up and then clunked and lurched forward.

I thought It may need new oil however the technician drove it and confimred its faulty. new DSG gearbox on order. cost £3k however as just in warranty will be FOC.

Cheers

Jlo

#51 Lean

Lean

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

hmm mine jumps forwardand clunks heavily when pulling off - has done for a little while [*-)]

#52 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

Our 07 TDI DSG box has some quirks - does anyone identify with them?

When slowing down, the car seems to want to hold a higher gear and not be as smooth with the clutch, so when you are slowing down to join a line of traffic, the car seems to want to drive against your braking.

The other thing is that when you are moving slowly, say like you are in a multi story carpark, the car cannot drive at say 5mph without surging on the power - it's almost like kangarooing.

Any ideas? Is it just a quirk of the car or a sign of bigger issues?

#53 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:15 AM

I also run a TDI DSG box (38K) but have not experienced either of what you describe.

No ideas why you're getting this.

#54 Lean

Lean

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

id get any issues with your DSG box looked at asap if only to have it on record that issues may or may not be happening, under warranty it won't cost you anything for it to be looked at.

#55 DenisS

DenisS

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

I have a 54 VW Touran 2.0Tdi Sport.  It has about 69,000 miles on the clock.

It sometimes stalls either when idling or tying to pull off when the engine is cold.  It occurs more frequently when it is a hot day and the climate control is on.

I mentioned it to the VW dealer when it was being serviced.  I was told that it was due to a disintigrating DSG drive plate which needs replacing.  Price £1,300.

As it is something which I had prevoiusly reported when under warranty and was told that they could not find anything wrong I have asked them to take it up with VW.  They have still not heard anything back despite it being over 3 weeks ago.

Is anybody aware of this being a generic problem with the DSG gearbox, and should one be expecting such a major repair at what is not a particularily high mileage?

Also I had been thinking of getting a tow bar fitted.  Is this to be recommended on a DSG gearbox.  Many thanks,

DenisS

#56 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Whilst waiting in a supermarket car park recently I was chatting to man with the same engine Touran (SE model) about a year old coming up to first service.

He had his DSG pack up soon after getting the car when towing his correct weight caravan which left him in a dodgy road position. Didn't say why it packed up but the complete box was replaced under warranty by VW but he is perhaps understandably considering a different make on replacement.

He still tows a few times a year with the new DSG box.

I've run two DSG cars (Golfs) without any issues by the way.

#57 Bora Bora Bora!

Bora Bora Bora!

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Is this actually a failing with the dsg box or as it sounds to me more like a dual mass flywheel failure? I think they may be shafting you. I would pursue this with VW directly as it strikes me they are not in your corner.

#58 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

Our 07 TDI DSG box has some quirks - does anyone identify with them?

When slowing down, the car seems to want to hold a higher gear and not be as smooth with the clutch, so when you are slowing down to join a line of traffic, the car seems to want to drive against your braking.

The other thing is that when you are moving slowly, say like you are in a multi story carpark, the car cannot drive at say 5mph without surging on the power - it's almost like kangarooing.

Any ideas? Is it just a quirk of the car or a sign of bigger issues?

Change of dealer and a change of view. There is apparantly a software upgrade for the DSG's ECU that removes such problems. The car is in on Tuesday so i'll post back with any news.

#59 neilybealy

neilybealy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

cool cheers for this

#60 b0rk

b0rk

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Interesting do you happen to know when the software update was released? I've had the problem you describe from new (july 08) and have so far been informed they all do that... [8-)]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users