74 replies to this topic

#61 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Interesting do you happen to know when the software update was released? I've had the problem you describe from new (july 08) and have so far been informed they all do that... Confused

I'll get as much info from them as I can on Tuesday and report back. We have two Golfs, both with DSG and around the same age. One is silky smooth and this one is not so they are not able to tell me that they all do that!

If I were a passenger in the car with a blindfold on, i'd say that the person driving is poor with his choice of gears and is not smooth when slowing down in low speeds. It's hard to describe the sensation and it's not unbearable but I think it could be a better experience.

#62 aks001

aks001

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

The other thing is that when you are moving slowly, say like you are in a multi story carpark, the car cannot drive at say 5mph without surging on the power - it's almost like kangarooing.

Any ideas? Is it just a quirk of the car or a sign of bigger issues?

Interesting.   I took our  07 TDi DSG in last Thurs with exactly the same symptons.  My wife even calls the car 'Skippy' because of how it drives at slow speed.   The technician told me during the test drive that it was the worst DSG he had driven after almost not being able to get it out of the car park because of the kangaroo motion.

They kept it to run diagnostics and I understand have forwarded information to VW -  we await a response with what they plan to do with it. 

#63 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

The other thing is that when you are moving slowly, say like you are in a multi story carpark, the car cannot drive at say 5mph without surging on the power - it's almost like kangarooing.

Any ideas? Is it just a quirk of the car or a sign of bigger issues?

Interesting.   I took our  07 TDi DSG in last Thurs with exactly the same symptons.  My wife even calls the car 'Skippy' because of how it drives at slow speed.   The technician told me during the test drive that it was the worst DSG he had driven after almost not being able to get it out of the car park because of the kangaroo motion.

They kept it to run diagnostics and I understand have forwarded information to VW -  we await a response with what they plan to do with it. 

Aks001, thanks for posting. Let me know how this goes - i'll report back tomorrow with what they tell me. As I understand it the DSG box has it's own ECU that decides when to change gear and I guess how the clutch itself is used. I imagine that it would be doing the equivalant of dipping the clutch to smooth out the ride.

#64 aks001

aks001

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Enigma1992, ours is now going back in tomorrow (Wed) for a 'software update'.  I'll let you know how it gets on and look forward to hearing if yours has improved at all.

#65 enigma1992

enigma1992

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

Enigma1992, ours is now going back in tomorrow (Wed) for a 'software update'.  I'll let you know how it gets on and look forward to hearing if yours has improved at all.

I'm back from my s/w upgrade and I have noticed an immediate improvement. It doesn't shunt the car in the same way as it did before. It's only a short drive back from the dealer so i'm going to try it out for a couple of hours tonight to see how it is.

The dealer was quite helpful and they have done this process a few times with DSG equipped cars with good results.

Good luck with your trip to the dealer.

#66 JohnZS

JohnZS

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi, newbie here, have often read the forums, but this is my first post

I am sorry to hear those of you have had problems with your DSG cars, I am not sure if your issues that you have experienced are related to the Recall which is occurring over the pond in the USA?

http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/08/28/news/recalls-tsbs/volkswagen-recalls-53300-new-vehicles-announces-service-program-to-address-dsg-complaints/

I wonder if we are going to see a similar recall here?

So far I am happy with my 2008 Golf GTi DSG, however it is a worry that one day the DSG might stop working.

Just thought I would post this to keep the thread updated.

Good Luck fo all those who have had DSG issues, I hope your replacement boxes are working fine,

John

#67 neilybealy

neilybealy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

nice spot! i really doubt VAG UK are going to offer the same

#68 JohnZS

JohnZS

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

I hope they do, do something for all those people who have had DSG problems with cars built between 2007-2009 and also show very generous good will (60%+ discount on parts+labour) to those who have defective mechatronic units on cars with less than 100K miles

I must admit being a DSG owner of a Year 2008 GTi I am rather worried, I believe my build date is December 07 too.

Got a service next Month and having them look at a few minor things for me. I will mention the DSG before booking it in, in case my car is effected.

John

#69 knobbie

knobbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear you have been having problems with your DSG box. I have a Mk5 R32 to a DSG box and am terrified of the box breaking and costing me thousands now out of VW warranty.

Not sure if you guys are aware but VW of America have increased their customer DSG warranty to 10 years / 100,000 miles, a group of us have setup a new website to register DSG faults so we can approach VW/Audi UK about offering the same warranty extension. If this fails we can always go to watch dog wink

The website we have set is www.DSGwoes.co.uk, your support would be really appreciated, if you can sign up and register any faults you have had.

Cheers 

Dave.

#70 herc

herc

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

I hope this is the correct to post i have just come back from an independant garage and my gf's vw tdi gt dsg auto 80k sounds like a train when cold, if i shift the box into neutral no noise if if shift into park no noise anything else it clatters... two points could this be a faulty gearbox or just a plate/housing??

And does anyone know how much new box is roughly with labour?

thnx in advance

#71 Morgan92

Morgan92

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

ops wrong thread?!

#72 Liam1122

Liam1122

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

I have had an experience like this, on my mk 5 r32 ive noticed that when I see to put it in S it seems tight, and has a few times displayed on the dash flashing all gear selections, I have had no power loss it drives just fine, I was thinking it could be the selector or something?

#73 Skye

Skye

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Wigan
  • Golf V Sport 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

oops, i've just bought a car with this problem, tow it backwards though and turn it off and then on again it goes back into gear , my selection light flashes 8 out of 10 times that i drive the car, does anybody know which part, circuit board etc the fault is actually on, mine has only done 63k :/

Golf MK 5, 1.9 TDI (105ps apparently... although 0-60=7s) Comfort line DSG BKC engine and many nice toys

#74 dr_razazain

dr_razazain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS DSG

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

My 2005 car has done 75k miles and the mechatronixs has started acting up. Vw has quoted me a price of £2870 to get it fixed! Anyone got any ideas? Would be grateful if someone could share their past experiences with regards this issue with the vw dsg

#75 Ltown

Ltown

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Dublin
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

I've an issue with a DSG on a 1.9 TDI. Had a nightmare with it the past year. Timing belt snapped and got a new engine. They it seemed to rev really high before changing gear. Mechanic said it was gearbox. Got the clutch replaced but same issue, they said it was down on power so needed new airflow meter. 

Replaced AFM but same issue with gear change and power. Then had a leaky turbo replaced which sorted it out a small bit. 

Left with having to drive in in manual mode. Is this a mechatronic box issue or is it due to the engine being down on power, and that's why it's changing late? 

Had an issue about a year back where it seemed to clunk while changing down a gear, I stopped in traffic, then it wouldn't go back into any gear and left me blocking a motorway until it just started working again 20 minutes later. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users