Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

MK4 Golf and Bora Speedo \ Instrument Cluster

642K views 1K replies 243 participants last post by  FacuLNG 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are three styles of cluster fitted to the MK4 Golf and Bora range, the two main ones being the standard none sport cluster:

standardgolf.jpg

And the Bora Sport style of cluster which is also fitted as standard into the Golf 25th Anniversary edition:

cluster.jpg

The third type is the cluster as fitted into the R32:

r32.jpg

In the centre of the cluster is the driver information display but on the more basic models this did not include the multifunction computer.

basic.jpg

The computer display is available in two versions, the more common MFA:

cluster2.jpg

MFA stands for Multifunction Anzeige, or Multi-Function Indicator. The MFA cluster has an LCD screen backlit by red LEDs. It takes up the bottom half of the box in the middle of the cluster, and the top half has the warning lights

And the FIS version which normally came in vehicles with satellite navigation fitted from the factory or in conjuncion with the multi function steering wheel:

fullfis.jpg

FIS stands for Fahrerinformationsystem, or Driver Information System. The FIS cluster has an LCD screen backlit by red LEDs in the middle of the cluster, which takes up the whole rectangular area where most VWs have the warning lights.

Both FIS and half MFA came in standard and Bora Sport style clocks.

Manufacturer

The clusters were manufactured by two companies VDO who made Bora Sport style gauges as well as standard and Bosch Motometer who just made the standard gauges.

Immobiliser (Immo)

There are two versions on the MK4 paltform these being Immo 2 and Immo 3, earlier models came as Immobiliser 2 and in early 2001 VW introduced Immobiliser 3 with the vehicle immobiliser being integrated into the cluster.

clusterimmo.png

You can tell which version you have from the part number of your cluster by the last numerical digit, 5 being immo 2 and 6 being immo 3.

EG: 1J0 920 926 C - immo 3 cluster / 1J0 920 925 C - immo 2 cluster (anything except a 6 is immo 2 ;))

Also as a general rule, on immo2 cars the immobiliser symbol
immosymbol.png
is in the rev counter and on immo3 cars it is in the speedo.

I Want to swap my cluster, can I do it?

The general answer is yes, but there is always a condition:

clusterswap.png

· You can put an immo 3 cluster into an immo 2 car (upgrade) but not an immo 2 cluster into an immo 3 car (downgrade)

· If yor car is can bus based (920) then the swap to immo 3 clocks will enable miles to empty to work and the mpg functions will work, but if the car was none can then the functions will not work

· If you put an immo 3 cluster into an older immo 2 car that was none can bus communication you will get an air bag light on, this can be coded out with Vag-com and the bags will still work.

Can Miles to empty be enabled on my cluster?

Yes it can if you have an immobiliser 3 cluster made by VDO or the RB8 cluster by Bosch with half or full FIS dislpay, but immobiliser 2 clusters can not have this function regardless of manufacturer.

Can illuminated needles be enabled on my cluster?

Yes it can if you have an immobiliser 3 cluster made by VDO but it can't be enabled on the clusters made by Bosch Motometer or immobiliser 2 clusters

clustermods.png

Can illuminated needles and miles to empty be enabled with Vag-Com?

No, Vag-Com can not be used to enable these functions.

My car doesn't have a multi function display, can I fit a set of clock with the display?

Yes you can but you will need a new wiper stalk (4B0 953 503 H) with the computer controls on it and then it will need wiring into the green multi plug connector on the rear of the rear of the clocks. Also if you currently don't have the outside temperature probe that is located in the bumper you will need to install one and wire it back to the green connector (pin 26) for the cluster to display the outside temperature.

My car only has the half height display, will a set of clocks with the full height display work?

Yes the clocks will work. They will display the radio station only if you have the VW head unit installed with the extra wiring loom to the clocks from the radio, also they display navigation directions when used with the VW navigation system and the extra wiring loom.

Where can I find the part number of my clocks?

There are two ways to do this:

1. Take the dash cluster out following this guide and look at the sticker on the rear of the cluster

sticker.jpg

2. Connect up VAGCom and open channel 17 (instruments), you will get this screen with the part number and manufacturer details displayed. In the below example RB8 signifying a Bosch \ Motometer cluster if the cluster was VDO then VDO would be in the manufacturers field.

cluster.jpg

What part numbers do I need for:

Bora sport style immo 3 Cluster:

Half Fis

1J5 920 926 C - Diesel

1J5 920 926 A - Petrol

Full FIS

1J5 920 946 C - Diesel

1J5 920 946 A - Petrol

R32 sport style immo 3 Cluster:

1J0 920 926 JX - Half FIS

1J0 920 946 FX - Full FIS

How do I code in my new clocks:

Follow these instructions from Ross Tech, you will need VAGCom and your SKC , also see this post for the cluster soft coding :Y:

How do I get my SKC (Secret Key Code)

The dealers can't provide the SKC as they no longer have access to it.

If you have an earlier golf that came with the plastic tag on the spare keys the SKC may be printed on there.

The SKC can be retrieved with third part pieces of software such as Vag tacho, see the Miles to empty guide for more info :Y:

HTH

Neil

See less See more
#4 ·
This is a great guide but I have one thing to add which may help others out, I hope you dont mind neil.

A quick way to tell which Immo you have is:

If you cluster is Immo2 then the Immobiliser light will be in the rev counter, if the cluster has the immobiliser light in the speedo then it is Immo3.

(Credit to Kalu for that)

There are also 4 warning symbols above the MFD on Immo3 clusters and only 2 on the Immo2's.

Hope this helps.

Joe

#5 ·
my clocks have the immo in the rev counter but all my mfa readings are displayed in the lcd panel in the rev counter like the old mk3. the centre part only has warning lights n no display panel :(. would of thought a GTI would have the higher spec clocks.

can i upgrade to the immo2 clocks with out any hassel?

#6 ·
Excelent...

I have a problem. I have a broken MOTOMETER (1J0920805J) and im swapping with a new one (1J0920805BX) immo 2, 2001 golf...

I have ONLY both instrument clusters but not the car,, not the key, not the PIN (Im not even sure if the PIN is needed) the car is 2,000 kms from here. I have to send only the new cluster ready to be installed. I can ask for the key if needed.

What would be the best solution here? Is it possible to open the new cluster and swap (solder) the old clusters EEPROM?

Can the VAG TACHO read the PIN from this Bosch cluster? I read it can be done so how can I make the swap??

HELPPP!!!! thank you.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum

What version of Vagtacho do you have as the later versions (2.x) can read the SKC from Bosch clusters but it takes ages (hour plus sometimes). You only need the SKC of the new cluster to do the swap.
Oh old_n07 thanks for your answer! I have 2.2 and 2.5... As for the SKC, its ok I will only check for the new one but I still need the CAN code from the old one isnt it? And to have that I shoud connect it to a VAg-COM, am I right? Thanks for your help.

#10 ·
Yes, just connect vagcom and note the value in the soft coding field but you will also need the instrument soft coding from the old cluster ideally, if you can't get it then vagcom tells you how to work it out.

Neil
OK thank you guys! Thought the problem was worse than you describe it. I dont have the old cluster (nor the soft code) and the dealer couldnt code the new one (I dont have the SKC, the instrument cluster didnt came with one, and they say they couldt get it with the GEKO). But I will try what you say first getting SKC from the VAGTACHO (this is an immo 2 cluster) and then "making" a soft code with the VAG-COM (VCDS), am I correct? [:cool:]

#15 ·
firstly they can all be changed....updated, but not down graded....

any idea which yours are, immo type?? style??

then is it CAN based....take the code from the back of the clocks 919/920??

then find some one really nice and friendly...like Neil(old_no7) or Ray(aRd)....to held you recode them.....

they you may need new stalkes and a temp sensor?? (part numbers above)

#25 ·
Forget that US sport poverty cluster, £150 for foils basically.