ChuffGTTDI

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8309 posts
  • MKII Models

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

I know what it is....

Dash cam? That so you dont drive into a vectra that was minding his own business again...
11254599615_a4f26f04b3_n.jpg

#3333 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

Still no one has guessed correct haha

How do you know?

#3334 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

Hope I'm not hyping this up too much.

People may be disappoint

Oh yes Dan, I may have mentioned which car im getting to a couple of forum members a few months ago ..

After a tattoo appointment tomorrow I am off to the dealer again to do some final paperwork signing, wish it wasn't a 45 minute journey each time !
Driving my mother-in-law's Citroen C1 on the motorway in the pouring rain through standing water is a nerve wracking experience to say the least !
27786273210_6ebcc383ef.jpg

Keep up with my photo's on instagram:  @_baz

#3335 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

And due to the fact that I'm very bored I have worked it out but won't spoil it. Good choice baz! 🏻

#3336 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

I know what it is....

Dash cam? That so you dont drive into a vectra that was minding his own business again...

Lol.

If his business was parking his bonnet inside my car.

#3337 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

And due to the fact that I'm very bored I have worked it out but won't spoil it. Good choice baz! 🏻

Hmmm ... some detective work ?

Ruling out all of the other choices and guesses ?

But thanks :) !

#3338 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

Some detective work had to be done but didn't take long at all :) definitely not hyping it up too much!

#3339 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2619 posts
  • Barking (Home) Leyton (Modding) Edmonton (Broken)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

If it's a Scirocco and you put mud flaps on it, I will take them off and force you to eat them. They look hideous.

I'm going to guess it's a VW Down,

If you do that, record it on his new dashcam and post it up on here 😜

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#3340 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Saw the actual car today ! Sat inside and touched it and took a few pics ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3341 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

#3342 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the guesses !

I had decided I wanted a new car with warranty and had seen a few decent deals for new the Octavia VRS and thought that I could probably sort my finances out to get one if I sold the A4 and used that cash as a deposit.

I wanted a 2.0T petrol as I hardly do any miles and would like to spend them with a smile on my face.

So I test drove a TDI VRS at the local Skoda dealer as they had no petrols in stock and it felt nice but not great. It ticked all the boxes on price and space and practicality but it just didn't seem special enough for a car I would be owning for at least 3 years, it felt very similar to the Audi TBH.
Which led me to call my local Seat dealership who had a nearly new Leon Cupra 280 on the lot, I went straight from Skoda over to Seat and jumped in the Cupra and took it for a spin - wow, those things are fast as hell (if I buy this car then I WILL get speeding tickets.no doubt) and I was pretty much sold, but this one was a manual and after driving the courtesy B8 with S-tronic gearbox (after the B7 accident) I was deffo leaning towards a DSG for the next car.
After sleeping on it and thinking long and hard about what I wanted I decided to go into the website Carwow and get some quotes from dealers to see the best prices I could get for a 5dr DSG Cupra or even the ST (estate). The discounts were pretty damn good but there was always the niggle in my mind that the interior of he Leon was pretty basic and plasticky - I may have been spoiled by driving an Audi for the last 3 years but it still played on my mind. Will it start to squeak and rattle after a year or so ?

Eventually, after ruling it out as too expensive I decided to ask for a Carwow quote for a Golf GTI. Both of the other cars were basically a golf GTI behind the badges and bodywork and on the MQB platform anyway. Turns out, after a few dealers best discounts there was literally only about a grands difference between a Leon Cupra, a VRS estate and a 5dr GTI.

I arranged for a test drive in a DSG GTI at my local VW (Listers Nuneaton) but after telling him the prices I'd got from other dealers the salesman straight up refused to take me out in one ! He was totally honest about it. They can't beat those prices so he isn't going to waste his time with a "dealer experience" if I was just going to buy elsewhere ! He wouldn't get anything out of it, so told me to sod off basically ! Sorry for trying to get myself a better deal Mr cheap suit!

So the next closest dealer who'd given me a decent discount, (not the best, but still about 9% off RRP) was Leicester VW (about 1hr drive away) so I called them up and they had a 3 door DSG GTI in stock. I went along and spoke about my budget and I told them about the awful service from my local dealer and he was genuinely amazed at the attitude of Mr cheap suit in Nuneaton.

As soon as I sat in the Golf I had made my mind up. Interior quality was amazing - better than my Audi, miles ahead of the Leon and the Skoda. Test drive confirmed that the DSG is the box for me. Forget about it in traffic then stick it in sports mode out in the twisties and use the paddles and have a whale of a time - basically two cars in one. Sensible practical family car and a cheeky hot hatch when it wants to be. The sound of the engine, the pops when shifting, the whole package impressed me so much that I signed up there and then and placed an order for 5 door with only 3 options:
DSG
App-Connect (Apple car play on the Nav screen)
Pure White Paint (yes, anything other than black is not free !)

Turns out I didn't need to tick any other boxes as the 2016 models got a lots of kit bundled in as standard on top of the normal amount of kit the GTI gets.

Winter pack
Convenience pack
Front/rear parking sensors
Adaptive Cruise Control
Xenon headlights
LED fogs and tail lights
6.5" MIB2 with Sat Nav
Keyless entry and start
Drive mode select

They said that it wouldn't be ready until February due to build times at Wolfsburg etc etc (at this point it was September 28th) it was fine with me as it gave me time to sell the B7 or even break it back to standard and PX.

After a change of heart after seeing so many white cars about and always having dark cars I called up and changed the colour. Even though it cost a little more for metallic. I'm glad I made that choice.

Car eventually got built in December and arrived at the dealer on New Year's Eve.

SO.. eventually after all that waffle and boring the hell out of you ..

This is the new car which I shall be collecting on Monday:

MK7 Golf GTI TSI 220
DSG
5 Door
Carbon Steel Grey Metallic

c3f5b429224bf985d6a266d3c9125b33.jpg

164b8e5114b59fd7842964123f37b656.jpg

c5b98410f369ceab9a083d99b203829d.jpg

Yes, I have said previously that I would only buy estate's but the GTI doesn't come as one (I assume to keep the original Hot Hatch ideal) the R estate would have been awesome but too pricey. A 5 door hatchback should do nicely.

#3343 TWONK FEATURES

TWONK FEATURES

Royce

• Moderators
  • 6202 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

now THAT was worth the wait! good choice bazzmeister

#3344 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

now THAT was worth the wait! good choice bazzmeister

Thanks dude ! It's been a long wait and I really can't wait until Monday when I can actually drive it home the long way !

Gonna take it easily for the first 1k mikes despite the salesman saying there's no need to break it in and to "give it the beans!" From the get-go ! Lol

#3345 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts
  • telford
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Nice choice!
I love the new golf

#3346 JackL15

JackL15

Can normally be found on the A3.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

Very nice! Good decision going with the GTi. Enjoy the drive home!

#3347 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

I was looking g round one of these in this colour yesterday, and it's really nice. I like the way they've carried the red strip through the headlights.

#3348 Thai-wronghorse

Thai-wronghorse

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Sweet, I think VW have really pulled their socks up with the mk7.
I looked at these last month at the local dealership and was very impressed tbh...and left disheartened I couldn't afford one. :-(

Best colour as well.

#3349 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

I was looking g round one of these in this colour yesterday, and it's really nice. I like the way they've carried the red strip through the headlights.

Yeah I love the Mk7 styling and the angles.
The lights really make them stand out from the standard Golf's.
Shame that on the GTI only one of the U shaped DRLs actually illuminates. You need to buy the R to get both to light up !

#3350 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Sweet, I think VW have really pulled their socks up with the mk7.
I looked at these last month at the local dealership and was very impressed tbh...and left disheartened I couldn't afford one. :-(

Best colour as well.

Compared to the MK6 I think it looks loads better.

Have you tried going through Carwow ? I would imagine they would be offering even more discounts since the whole diesel gate thing ?

Thanks, I love the colour too.
Exclusive to the GTI/GTD and also similar to my old Bora's Graphite Blue Pearl which I really loved.

#3351 Thai-wronghorse

Thai-wronghorse

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

Is that down to having different clusters or simply a function that needs coding in to activate?

#3352 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Whole unit is different I believe. Deffo not a feature that can be enabled with VCDS. Some have managed to fit a bulb in there after lots of cutting but most seem to just buy replica R lights if they want the look.

#3353 davemk

davemk

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 8601 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Beautiful. How come you didn't go for the Performance package?

Surprised by Listers. Pretty sure they offered good prices through carwow when I looked.

uk-audis-banner2.gif

A3 Sport 2.0TDI 170

#3354 Simon_anni

Simon_anni

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Great choice Baz!

Always liked the idea of a new new car.

Si

Sig_anni_zpsacat0kbl.jpg

My Anni build (0615): http://uk-mkivs.net/...k4-anniversary/

#3355 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

Well played..... well played....  :clap:

sigzort.jpg

#3356 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

BTW... best run in method is twazzok the shoot out of it  (once fully warmed up) and then change the oil at about 2000miles.

sigzort.jpg

#3357 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

Beautiful. How come you didn't go for the Performance package?

Surprised by Listers. Pretty sure they offered good prices through carwow when I looked.

Performance Package is a bargain of a deal if you need it but as I'd pushed my budget to the limit then the extra grand just wasn't attainable. I just tell myself that I don't need big brakes and a limited slip diff on my commute to work and it makes me feel better :)

Apparently it was another department in Listers that can offer those good discounted prices. But apparently to get those prices you don't get to test drive a car or get a cup of coffee in the showroom. I suppose if you've driven one elsewhere before hand then Listers could order your car for you .. But deliver it round the back of the building away from the shiny stuff. Weird way of doing things but their "dealer experience" must cost them down the line and when taking it away they can pass the saving on. Kinda.
I was just unimpressed by the whole thing and the way the salesman dealt with a potential customer.

#3358 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

BTW... best run in method is twazzok the shoot out of it (once fully warmed up) and then change the oil at about 2000miles.

I was planning on changing the oil at around that time for sure, but taking it easy and not giving it full revs for a few hundred miles then increasing slowly. I read that turning off the start/stop and not using cruise control at first is a good idea too.

Your way sounds more fun though ! Brakes and tyres will need to bed in first of course and launch control needs to be avoided for a good old while. (I even read that using it can void the gearbox warranty !?)

#3359 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

It more about load that max rpm. If you dont put the engine under load then the piston rings wont wear into the bores are well as they could do. So think full boost but keep up sub 5k.

Or twazzok it... it will be fine :-) 

sigzort.jpg

#3360 madkat

madkat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Bucharest, Romania
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Great choice! Sat in a Leon (latest model) several months ago, and was very dissapointed. Same cheap cars... Sadder compared even to skodas'.

Pics!

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users