#1 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

There was a two stage product available for cleaning the vanes on the diesel PD turbo - can anyone remember the name of it? Also what's the best price people have seen for it as well?

My plan is to get the vanes cleaned up and report back with my initial findings [Y]

#2 therealdeal0_5

therealdeal0_5

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

try searching for innotec and please do report back if you decide to try it with your findings as my turbo has just started sticking!!

#3 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

Thanks! For future reference the link to the stuff is Innotec Turbo Clean Set.

Hopefully getting the work done on Saturday so will report back after then.

#4 goldbora135bhp

goldbora135bhp

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

so did you ever get round to cleaning the vanes then if so any improvement cheers

#5 Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:57 AM

I'm pretty sure Neil Birkitt used this on his GTI and ran an article in VW Driver - might be worth asking him if it was much cop?

#6 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

so did you ever get round to cleaning the vanes then if so any improvement cheers

Should be getting done this Saturday. Will report back.

#7 Del-Gti

Del-Gti

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

How much does that product cost?

Is there a lot of work involved ?

Cheers

Del

#8 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

It's about £30, waiting on an email back from them confirming the price.

A guide on how to perform the clean was posted in this topic. Looks pretty straight forward although as I've got no way of getting under the car I'm taking it to PSI Tuning.

#9 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Price is £36.15 including VAT and delivery btw. Just ordered.

No. if you want to give them a call is 01722 411 744.

#10 sainte86

sainte86

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

will this product work on turbo petrols?

#11 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Possibly yes, but as petrol engines burn a lot cleaner theres probably not much point. Also pretrol turbos don't use the same variable vane technology that the PD turbos use, so again it's not really as necessary to clean.

#12 cctuning

cctuning

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

IMO this will be good for a preventive, but if your turbo has all ready started to stick then chances are the vanes will be distorted and will continue to stick unless you replace them.

#13 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the info [Y]

When you stay 'stick' does that infer it doesn't come on boost intermittently?

#14 IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7930 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

How do I know if my vanes are sticking? Wha would I notice?

Dan

#15 therealdeal0_5

therealdeal0_5

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

you would get the dreaded limp mode occasionally when the vanes stick causing overboosting and then the turbo shutting down and loss of power until the ignition is switched off and back on again.

#16 wellsy

wellsy

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

I think Marks is displaying the same symptoms as my PD150.  Sometimes in 1st and 2nd with your foot down, it doesn't always feel like it's boosting.  Feels like the boost is escaping.

Higher up the gears it always seems to work.

If it works Mark, let me know and I'll try it on mine.   I need to go to PSI soon anyway to get my suspension fitted.

#17 rscott4563

rscott4563

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

I've still not done mine yet even though I got the kit a couple of months ago.  The new car is in getting some work done at the moment so I've asked my mechanic to try the Innotec kit out on the turbo while he's got it up on the ramps.  So I should be able to report back by the weekend too.

#18 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

I think Marks is displaying the same symptoms as my PD150.  Sometimes in 1st and 2nd with your foot down, it doesn't always feel like it's boosting.  Feels like the boost is escaping.

If it works Mark, let me know and I'll try it on mine.   I need to go to PSI soon anyway to get my suspension fitted.

Yes this is what mine is doing, it doesn't come on boost in second gear, although sometimes it will come in occasionaly after peak power has been passed i.e. 3.5k rpm. Very strange and does catch me out. I'm hoping it's a sticking actuator more than the vanes being stuck.

#19 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Interested to see how this goes.  How much labour are PSI charging to do it if you dont mind?  I have handed the instructions on it to a local garage who are going to get back to me with a price.  The guy looked at it with a bit of a raised eyebrow and looked as confused as ever when I mentioned sticking turbo vanes!  I may shop around!!

VW driver ran an article on it but I dont think it was on one of their cars.

Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#20 Sem

Sem

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2990 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

Yes this is what mine is doing, it doesn't come on boost in second gear, although sometimes it will come in occasionaly after peak power has been passed i.e. 3.5k rpm. Very strange and does catch me out. I'm hoping it's a sticking actuator more than the vanes being stuck.

The vanes only stick if you granny the car around which i'm sure you don't.  It might be worth checking the actuator first before using this stuff. 

Get yourself under the car with a can of WD40 and excercise the actuator rod for 5 mins whilst giving it a regular squirt, i'd also recommend removing the vacuum line from the actuator to the N75 and inspect it.  It gets very warm around that area and the rubber pipe can get damaged.  I remember mine was in a bad way so I replaced it with silicone tube from Forge.

#21 adz2k6

adz2k6

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4054 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

nice tip there Sem, ill be keeping my eyes out on the results too..

#22 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

There is also a way of testing the operation of the actuator rod using vag com with the engine running.  Cant remember exactly how though.  I searched and found the procedure and Ray (aRd) tried it out & it worked.  The actuator can be seen to move up and down from the engine bay during the test.

Found the vag com test procedure half way down this thread courtesy of austin21:-

http://uk-mkivs.net/...77.aspx#1170377

Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#23 Pat

Pat

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7467 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

my mate Joseph tried that Innotec stuff and it worked okay for a few days but the problem returned :(

you can do that procedure with the actuator test on Vag-com but on a PD150 you need to be under the car to see it move - I think 115 and 130's can be viewed from above

#24 Sem

Sem

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2990 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

Yep, Pat's right - you won't be able to see the actuator move with the vag-com test.

Another tip - slip an piece of rubber hose over your thumb for protection before you start excercising the actuator 'cos it really starts to hurt after a while [;)]

#25 Roger Irrelevant

Roger Irrelevant

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Good thread [Y] i've been thinking about trying the innotec kit for a while now too since getting mine remapped (ALH = VNT turbo) so interested to hear peoples results

#26 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:55 AM

Interested to see how this goes.  How much labour are PSI charging to do it if you dont mind?  I have handed the instructions on it to a local garage who are going to get back to me with a price.  The guy looked at it with a bit of a raised eyebrow and looked as confused as ever when I mentioned sticking turbo vanes!  I may shop around!!

VW driver ran an article on it but I dont think it was on one of their cars.

Not sure until they do the work, although from looking at the instructions it shouldn't be more than an hour really as a lot of it is waiting for the 1st stage cleaner to work.

Sem - Thanks for the heads up I'll get them to check the vac line. They going to lube up my actuator anyway [:DD]

#27 therealdeal0_5

therealdeal0_5

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

I bought a 2nd hand turbo off bazmmcc (off here) a few months back and it worked fine up until the last week or two. Getting the dreaded limp mode now once i start to leather the car through the gears upto 3500 revs. So i spent a few hours today stripping and cleaning my old turbo ready to swap them over again. I should really have cleaned the replacement turbo before fitting it but i thought take the easy option and just do a straight swap. Anyway to cut a long story short its a simple enough job to do and very satisfying. The vnt mechanism is so smoothly operating now compared to before the clean.  Just wondering if anyone would be interested in paying me to strip and clean the turbo for them?? I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have a lovely large workshop at home to do the job proffesionally if anyone's ineterested please pm me.

#28 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Back from PSI Tuning! and the results are very good indeed.My turbo wasn't too badly sooted up but there was a build up that has now been removed. On the drive back I've noted there is a noticeable difference in spool up. It now builds boost a lot quicker and also holds it for longer as well. I also noticed a couple of extra MPG on the way home, too.

Labour worked out at 1hr which is about £45'ish at PSI. Andy at PSI mentioned that he may able to get the Innotec stuff direct from the supplier so anyone looking to get this done at PSI it might be worth letting them know so they can get a price etc.

All in all well worth it, car is certainly a lot less laggy. I'll update once I've done the monday morning commute to work and report on the fuel economy a little more.

#29 wellsy

wellsy

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

That's good news.  Did they massage the actuator too?

#30 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:38 AM

Yes they gave it a good rubbing, which I'm sure has helped to further give the turbo a new lease of life.

Do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users