Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

How to repair a broken window regulator mechanism (Edited 27/9/2009).

203K views 202 replies 74 participants last post by  YuE3jbCB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I guess it had to happen to me in the end, about to leave work to go home a few nights ago, put the drivers window down to wipe the door mirror, push the switch to put the window up to which it responds by making an expensive grinding sound and stopping halfway up.DOH!!!!!!!!!!
So I pull the car into the workshop and whip the doorcard off to see what's happened. The rearmost clamp that holds the bottom of the glass in place is nowhere to be seen, the front is still there but is one of the original plastic ones that normally break sooner rather than later.

For those that don't know, all VW's made in the late 90's had this same problem as they all came with these very weak plastic clips, which would all break at the most inconvenient of times,normally allowing the glass to suddenly disappear down into the door. VW agreed to replace them under warranty on all cars less than six years old.
My passenger door had already been done before I bought the car, so it was only a matter of time before the other side went. I managed to get the window up by loosening the one remaining clamp bolt and left the switch disconnected just in case I forgot in the middle of a downpour.

You can normally get away with just a repair kit that costs about £35 inc vat, this consists of a couple of new cables and much stronger all metal clamps. If more damage has occurred, you may need to replace the whole inner door skin which costs about £80 inc VAT. Below is a guide to how you can DIY this job and save yourself some money.

TOOLS YOU'LL NEED FOR THE JOB

Torx T20 driver

No.2 Pozi driver (long)

No.2 Pozi driver (stubby)

Torx T30 driver or socket

XZN M8 socket

10mm socket

3/8 drive ratchet

Small flat bladed screwdriver

Large flat bladed screwdriver or trim tool

Pointed nose pliers

THE FUN BIT

1.Undo the three Torx T20 screws along the bottom edge of the door card.

regrepair100.jpg

2.Undo the #2 Pozi head screw at the top front corner of the door card.

regrepair101.jpg

3.Remove the hand grip, I use a soft non damaging trim removal tool pushed into the top of it, you can also use a flat bladed screwdriver pushed into the bottom of it where any damage won't show. If you've got strong hands you can even just grip it tightly and pull it off.

regrepair102.jpg

4.The switch panel is clipped in place, I use my trim tool to start it moving at the back edge, or you can use a flat bladed screwdriver with cardboard wrapped around it to prevent damage to the trim.

regrepair103.jpg

5.Unplug the switch module by squeezing the release tab inwards.

regrepair104.jpg

6.Undo the three screws a shown with a #2 Pozi driver.

regrepair105.jpg

7.The door card can now be unclipped, the front corner of the pocket should give you the best grip to get it started. Don't be scared to pull hard as the clips that hold in place are VERY tough. The mirror adjuster, puddle light and alarm LED will have to be unplugged, and the Bowden cable to the inner handle handle is easy to unclip.

regrepair106.jpg

8.If the window can still be moved, lower it until any remaining bolts are visible through the removable rubber grommets and undo them with a 10mm socket.

regrepair107.jpg

9.Lift the back edge of the glass to the angle shown and lift it out carefully. If you've never handled glass before please be aware of what temperature differentials can do to it, if the glass is warm from being in the sun and you put it down on the cold ground, it can shatter, so make sure you put it down on something like a blanket if you're not sure.

regrepair108.jpg

10.Undo the two bolts that hold the lock mechanism into the door.These are very specifically M8 XZN or Triplesquare, you will not be able to undo these with any Torx bits or any other sort of 12 point spline bits, you will damage the head of the bolt if you try to do this and will do a LOT of damage that will make the bolts near impossible to get out.

regrepair109.jpg

11.Remove the plastic cap to the right of the above bolts, if you look into the hole you'll see a large headed screw with a Torx T20 hole in it. Use your Torx driver to turn it anti-clockwise, it will need a dozen or so turns but do be careful that you don't undo it too far as you can split the casting it's screwed into.

regrepair110.jpg

12.This takes a bit of practice, but you will need to pull the handle to the open position and grip and pull the lock and barrel while gently wiggling it all with one hand while you slowly undo the locking screw with the other hand, as soon as you can pull the barrel out stop turning the screw.

regrepair111.jpg

13.Place a small flat bladed screwdriver into the slot as shown and lever out the small black plastic piece that has a cable coming out of it.

regrepair112.jpg

14.If you don't have the XZN tool to remove the lock, you can skip the last four steps and push out the pin in the middle of the two plastic rivets shown here with a pin punch or small screwdriver, this will let the lock mechanism stay in the door when you remove the inner skin.

regrepair113.jpg

15.Unplug the multiplex module by sliding the locking bar downwards, also unplug all the other things such as tweeter, bass speaker and electric mirror and pull all the wiring loom anchor points gently away from the inner skin until the loom is completely clear, and undo the eleven 10mm bolts that hold the inner skin in place.

regrepair114.jpg

regrepair115.jpg

16.If the inner skin has never been off before you will need to carefully push a flat bladed screwdriver under the edge of it to get it started, possibly at several places around it. When it's completely free, pull the bottom edge away from the door by a couple of inches and slide it downwards and towards the front of the car to clear the top of the regulator and lock mechanism.

regrepair116.jpg

17.Unplug the connector to the central locking unit, if it's very tight you may need to use small pliers to move the locking tab. Remove the grommet and separate the wiring loom from the inner skin,which can now be totally removed and placed on the ground to inspect the damage.

regrepair117.jpg

18.This is the cause of mine and many thousands of peoples problems, the metal bracket that clamps the bottom of the window glass is merely clipped into the very weak plastic runner, meaning it's not a case of if,but when it will break.

regrepair118.jpg

19.This is good news as it's only one clip that has broken, sometimes the cables and pulleys can get damaged as well which will mean the whole inner skin with a new regulator mechanism costing about £80 will be needed.

regrepair119.jpg

20.Using a Torx T30 driver or socket undo the three screws that hold the window motor in place.

regrepair120.jpg

21.Use a flat bladed screwdriver to carefully lever out the metal at the closest point to the roller to give you enough room to get the cables out.

regrepair121.jpg

22.You can leave the long centre cable in place if you want to as we'll be re-using it, but if you haven't done this job before you can remove it as does make attaching and routing the cables a little bit easier.

regrepair123.jpg

23.This is what the repair kit consists of, notice the much, much stronger all metal cast clamp assembly.

regrepair122.jpg

24.Push the new cable drum assembly into it's respective holes until you hear them click when they will be sort of locked into place. DO NOT CUT THE CABLETIES AND REMOVE THE RETAINING BAR AT THIS STAGE.

regrepair124.jpg

25.The cable end fittings will sit like this when you first put them in, don't worry as they all sort straighten themselves out later.

regrepair125.jpg

26.Push the cable's end nipples into the slots in the clamp as shown, you'll see from looking at it which one goes in first.

regrepair126.jpg

27.Clip the clamp onto the runner near the top with it at 90 deg to the runner like this, and then push it down until it's fully seated and slides smoothly up and down the runner, making sure the cables stay where they're supposed to be. Repeat with the other clamp assembly.

regrepair127.jpg

28.You can now start threading the cable round the pulleys, the first three you should be able to quite easily by hand, the last one is a little bit more difficult. Turn the pulley until the cam shaped bit on the top is in a position to allow the cable to be slipped over it (you may need to use a flat bladed screwdriver to ease it on), and then put the same screwdriver into one of the slots near the tip of the cam lobe, and turn it in either direction where it will force the cable into the slot in the pulley without damaging it.

regrepair129.jpg

29.This is how it should look now, do a final check to make sure the cable has gone into the groove around the pulleys and hasn't slipped underneath it as can happen quite easily.

regrepair130.jpg

30.You can now cut the cableties and remove the retaining bar, you should be able to slide either of the clamps up and down the runner EASILY by hand and have the other one follow it in exactly the same position.

regrepair128.jpg

31.It would be a good idea to test it at this stage before bolting it all back together. Plut the main plug back into the multiplex module, the small plug back into the switch panel, turn the ignition and check that it goes all the way up and down nice and smoothly, if it does put some grease on the runners and pulleys and bend the metal around the pulleys back down again by tapping with a hammer.

regrepair131.jpg

regrepair132.jpg

32.Re-assembly is the reverse of taking it apart, if the lock mechanism is till attached the inner skin that should be put in first, followed by the top of the regulator, there are a couple of locating pins that the inner skin should find it's way onto, and when replacing the bolts don't overtighten them as it's not that difficult to strip the thread.

33.Tilt the window glass forward at about 45 deg and lower it carefully into place, making sure it goes into and slides down the front runner (or slot if you like). Now lower the back edge in and make sure it goes into the rear runner, when the top of the glass is level push it down until the bottom of it is in the two clamps that you will have positioned so that they are visible through the grommeted holes.
The clamp bolts have been replaced with Torx T30 on the new ones, these should be nipped up loosely and no more, so not really tight and not really loose, put the window all the way to the top which should push it into place. Lower it again until the clamp bolts are visible and tighten them up, be very careful not to over-tighten them as the rubber grips the glass tightly enough to be safe. Lower the window all the way to the bottom and then up again, if it's smooth and travels properly all the way then all is good, if not repeat the above procedure of loosening off the clamp bolts again until it works properly.

34.When you reattach this part don't be tempted to have it in this position just so the door is easier to open, this is with my old lock that was very worn and the cable would have stretched, the new second hand lock I now have in there has that almost at the other end of that slot. Putting it like this with a newer lock can mean the door won't shut properly, and can put unnecessary strain on the lock and cable, meaning you may run out of adjustment when the lock starts to wear.

regrepair139.jpg

35.Pull the handle to the open position to let the lock barrel slide back in, and then turn the Torx T20 screw clockwise inside the door until it's locked in place, but do be sure not to overtighten it as the it'll mean a complete stripdown again of you crack the assembly it's screwed into

36.When everything except the door card is back togther and plugged in, you'll need to reset the one touch feature. It doesn't matter where you start either up, down or in the middle, unplug the big plug with the sliding locking bar from the multiplex module, leave it for five to ten seconds and plug it in again. Turn the ignition on and pull the switch up to raise the window, keep it held when it gets to the top for about five seconds and then let go. Repeat this for going down, again holding for about five seconds when it's got to the bottom, now the one touch should work in both directions, if it doesn't just repeat the last few steps until it does.

37.The doorcard can now go back on, reconnect the electric mirror switch, door handle cable, puddle light and alarm LED and make sure the loom and connector for the locking and window switch panel is reachable when the doorcard is clipped in place, replace all the screws that came out and check everything one last time.
And finally locate the nearest bin where allegedly you'll find lots of VAG parts………

regrepair138.jpg

Whilst I had it all in pieces I also did a job I've been meaning to do since I bought the car three years ago, which is to put some sound deadening mat ion the inside of the outer skin.

I think Dynamat and similar branded products are all overpriced by about 500%, so thought I'd try what a lot of other people are using instead, in this case Screwfix Direct "No Nonsense" (drum roll please!) flashing tape.

38.A scraper first followed by thinners or white spirit and a rag to get it all perfectly clean, dry and free of any wax type anti-corrosion treatments.

regrepair138.jpg

39.If it's a cold day, then it's good idea to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the panel and get rid of any condensation that can form very quickly.

regrepair135.jpg

40.Cut the flashing tape to size, peel the backing off and stick it where it's needed, use a wallpaper roller to get rid of air bubbles and make sure it's all stuck down properly. This stuff is about half the weight of the equivalent Dynamat etc, so you will need more layers to get the same effect. I put six layers immediately behind the where the midbass speaker is, and three to four everywhere else.

regrepair137.jpg

41.I ran out of light before I could do the inner skin, but I need to make some proper MDF or plywood spacers to mount my 8in DLS midbass speakers, so will finish it off when they go in.
The roll I used was 225mm X 10M, I used about two thirds of it, and at a cost of about £13 for the whole roll that's a very cheap bit of sound deadening. The door now sounds a lot more expensive or solid when it shuts, and the midbass may just have slightly more snap to it, but I need to fully do both doors to get the real benefits from it.

Chris.

See less See more
#7 ·
Sounds good to me Chris

How long do you reccomend to break in subwoofers? or do you think breaking them in is all a myth, Ive read different things all over the web.

Thanks
Errrrmmmmm......I recommend not breaking them in on a thread about repairing your window regulator[:p].

Anyway,it's not an urban myth but any speaker and not just bass ones will be stiff when they're new and won't have loosened up and give their full performance until they've been used gently for a period of time.
In general subwoofers about 15 to 20 hours,the higher the power handling the longer it will take,you'll hear it when it's ready.

Chris.

#10 ·
have you managed to finish sound deadening your doors now? if so have you noticed much of a difference using this material?

and how would you compare it to the likes of the very expensive dynamat stuff?

thanks rob
Yes both inner skins are now also done,the difference isn't massive but the midbass definately has more snap to it and the doors close with a nicer sounding clunk now.
All things considered I reckon it's still cheaper to soundproof this way even though you need a lot more of it,some people use the more expensive gear because it sounds cool to tell everyone they used "Extreme this" and "Turbo super mega thick" etc etc. I've still got quite a bit left over which I reckon means it's cost me about £20 to do both front doors.

Chris.

#13 ·
Hi there,

Encountered a bit of a problem while trying to fol;ow you guide. Was winding my window up one day and it suddendly fell inside the door so after consulting the forum I soon learnt that this was a common problem due to the plastic clips failing over time.

I'm currently trying to remove the inner skin however after removing all the bolts the panel still seems to be fixed to the window. Am I being stupid? Do any of the rivets need to be removed first?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm stuck without my car until I get this fixed and would rather do it myself than take it to the dealers.

Thanks.

Martin

#16 ·
Yeah thanks, after a lot of effort and profanity I managed to get the window high enough to undo the clips. I had to get someone to press the up/down button again and again whilst I pulled the window up.

I've found the broken clip. A small piece of plastic has broken off one of them. Enough to make the cable slip out and window drop!

Gonna order the part now. Cheers for the help and D.I.Y. guide though. Don't know what I'd do without it!

Martin

#17 ·
Yeah thanks, after a lot of effort and profanity I managed to get the window high enough to undo the clips. I had to get someone to press the up/down button again and again whilst I pulled the window up.

I've found the broken clip. A small piece of plastic has broken off one of them. Enough to make the cable slip out and window drop!

Gonna order the part now. Cheers for the help and D.I.Y. guide though. Don't know what I'd do without it!

Martin
Martin - did you manage to get it all repaired then? How difficult did you find it? As you were stripping the door did you leave the door lock in or remove that too?

My passenger one has just broken - although weirdly my window didn't "fall". After I heard the snap and tried to get the window up it started to lower itself electronically. Pushing the up button stopped it. So at the moment it's not totally wound down - there's still a few inches left. Last thing we needed tbh.

#19 ·
Will it be instantly noticable if there is more damage than just broken clips? Also - is the job much more difficult if the door lock is left in? As I'm not sure why you put it in the instructions if it's possible to do it without removing it.... Always assumed it's just because it makes the job a bit easier.

#20 ·
It will be broken clips without any doubt,more often than not that is all the damage there will be,if the centre cable is damaged in any way then it will need a whole new regulator I'm afraid.

The only reason the lock is held to the inner skin by those two plastic rivets is to make it easier and quicker to assemble the door when it's on the production line,one operation instead of two to assemble the inner skin and the lock.

I always put it back as close to original with both the rivets if possible,not for mechanical reasons but because it's "right",so yes all the handle and lock can stay in place without compromising anything.

Chris.

#21 ·
Ah.. So what you're saying is - opting for the method without removing the door lock mechanism, if say in future I had to strip the door down again, I wouldn't have to push the pin in the middle of the two rivets?

As the window is at the moment, because I don't have the time to repair this myself, or the money to pay for it to be repaired - would it be possible for me to get the window back to the top - perhaps pushing the up button on the switch and giving the window a helping hand? My window was able to stay quite high after it broke before I pushed the switch to try to get it higher, at which point it started lowering itself.

Thanks for all the help.

#22 ·
Yes,it can be put back together with the plastic bracket and those two rivets without any problems as they aren't needed for mechanical sturdiness,just as an assembly aid.
If you can get it to a position where the clamps are visible through the two large plastic grommets,you could undo them and lift it up by hand and then tape it in place,I doubt if it would be secure doing it any other way.

Chris.

#23 ·
Yes,it can be put back together with the plastic bracket and those two rivets without any problems as they aren't needed for mechanical sturdiness,just as an assembly aid.
If you can get it to a position where the clamps are visible through the two large plastic grommets,you could undo them and lift it up by hand and then tape it in place,I doubt if it would be secure doing it any other way.

Chris.
That's a point - let's say I remove the door card, remove the grommets to access the clamps - and the bolts are not in line, and I can't easily move the window - what happens then? Should the window in its current state be movable by hand? How do I go about getting the clamps through the grommet "windows" ?

#24 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. Used it this weekend to change my n/s window regulator clips. Window hadn't dropped but was struggling to close. Sure enough when I took the old regulator out, one of the clamps and snapped.

I really struggled getting the new cable threaded around the pulleys though. When I finally managed it, it was really tight. All working ok though so I guess that's how it should be.

#25 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. Used it this weekend to change my n/s window regulator clips. Window hadn't dropped but was struggling to close. Sure enough when I took the old regulator out, one of the clamps and snapped.

I really struggled getting the new cable threaded around the pulleys though. When I finally managed it, it was really tight. All working ok though so I guess that's how it should be.
Nice job [Y] Think I may just give this a go afterall. How long did it take you? And did you leave the door locking mech attached or remove that too?

#26 ·
Nice job
Think I may just give this a go afterall. How long did it take you? And did you leave the door locking mech attached or remove that too?
Took about 2 hours.

I left the door lock mech attached to the door. Punched out the rivets. As I said, the only bit I struggled with was getting the new cable around the pullies. I ended up having to put the cable around one pulley properly and then the other three around the cam and then turn them individually until the cam pops the cable on. The last one was a pig to turn and was really tight. I guess the cable will stretch a bit over time but all seems to be working ok.

Give it a go and then give yourself a pat on the back for not spending a fortune paying VW to do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.