bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have only took the one picture since getting it home as its pretty minging from the drive home as the weather has turned shat again.

IMAG1688-1_zpsedd84062.jpg

IMAG1732_zps6b91f37a.jpg

Initial thoughts are its awesome to drive, although I can't get used to not slowing down for speed bumps new-chuckle.gif

The interior is MINT no marks, or wear on the full leathers, and even the buttons are mint which for an Audi is rare as they usually wear badly. It has a fantastic service history with two new tyres, new pads all round, and rear discs changed for the last MOT at the end of November so it runs sweet as a nut. Also it seems faster than the Bora was as standard so I'm planning on getting it on a dyno at some point to see if its been mapped, but I'm only the 3rd owner. The first one was a woman as a company car, then the old dude I bought it off so I doubt it, but it would be nice to know for insurance purposes.

At the minute my only dislike is the full leather seats, I know that sounds backwards and arsey, but I much prefer 1/2 leathers. I'm going to give it a month to see how I get on with them, then if I still feel the same I'll either buy some 1/2 leathers, or find someone with a set that wants to swap me.

As it stands I'm now flat broke so there will be no mods for a month or so, but as a Brucey bonus it came with a private plate that I've had valued at £700, so I'll sell that and buy some coilovers emotion-2.gif

#2 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Anglesey, Wales
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

money incoming soon I'm almost paid :P

lovely car btw

#3 Wigandill

Wigandill

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Another convert lmfao, lovely to driver arnt they pal, mine needs slamming now lol, which engine you got

#4 JD The Wheel Whore

JD The Wheel Whore

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 6264 posts
  • Crewe
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Lovely man how much did that set you back? I might be in the market for one soon.

#5 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

money incoming soon I'm almost paid :P

lovely car btw

Ha ha cheers Jay

Another convert lmfao, lovely to driver arnt they pal, mine needs slamming now lol, which engine you got

Yeah its a nice drive, but as soon as the plate sells the coilovers are being ordered. Its the 130pd mate, stick to what you know as they say Chuckle

Lovely man how much did that set you back? I might be in the market for one soon.

PM'd mate

#6 w-all-ace

w-all-ace

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

looks good matei

#7 izzy1

izzy1

Sleeping

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Bora Sport 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

love these cars.

#8 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Cheers lads I'm loving it at the minute, but I still keep slowing down for speed bumps Chuckle

#9 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Right even though I'm on the bones of my arse I figured I've got loads of tins of beans in the cupbord, and bread is only a quid so I'll be ok for my dinners at work all month  LOL

I've still not took any pictures as I gave it a good clean on Sunday afternoon, but then we went to Southport on Monday and it's now full of sand inside, and full of bugs, sand, and general shiznit on the outside.
Oh and hound snot on the rear windows thanks to mans best friend aka Bailey

Just a couple of pics of stuff like the heater trim without wear, which doesn't sound that exciting, but it is literally the only one I've seen on my hunt for one of these

The cup holder which tbh is useless compared to the Mk4/Bora one, so I found a good use for it

Anyway I purchased a few bits for it today, nothing expensive or exiting, but this helps me keep track of stuff

Sidelights

Silver indicators

Main beam, and dipped beam
I got the two packs for £40 from my local motor factors as they didn't have the standard night breakers

Fogs (you can't get night breakers in H11)

Audi TT black rear view as mine came with a grey one

#10 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Anglesey, Wales
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

And so begins the modding adventure of the Audi 

i do a lot of valeting in work and sand is my worst enemy

not only is it near impossible to get out but you get it In the eyes trying to Hoover it up

on and kudos on the heaters quite rare to see them not worn

#11 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I've been hovering over buy it now on THESE all day, but unfortunatly I have to feed my son all month LOL

#12 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Well I had a bit of a bad weekend

Got home from work at 7am Saturday and couldn't get to sleep for ages and I had to get up at 1pm as I had a busy afternoon planned of taking stuff off the Bora. Also I had someone coming round for some bits and for me to have a look over their car and scan it with vag-com as they had just bought it and knew nothing about diesels.

My side light bulbs didn't turn up so I didn't fit my bulbs this weekend as I wanted to do them all at once as you have to remove the light cluster to swap the bulbs out and I can't be arsed doing it twice in a few days.

My TT mirror came Friday so I thought right everything for Gaz is off now so I'll fit that. Took the grey one off, opened up the APC bag and the fecking thing had been pulled off instead of twisted off. Not only was the tab that should be attached to the screen stuck in the mirror base, the bit in the mirror that clips to the base had been broken by pulling it off so I couldn't even use it with my base.
At this point I was as you can imagine rather ticked off due to being tired and having my time and money wasted. Then when putting the old mirror back on I knocked it off the base and as I was angry and tired I just pushed it onto the base which was attached to the screen, and you guessed it I've cracked the screen. It isn't the end of the world as it had a few small stone chips in it so I'll wait a few weeks then claim one through my insurance.

On a brighter note my side light bulbs finally turned up today, and I got a full refund for the TT mirror so I'll order another one. Also my old man has made me a pair of blanking plates so I can delete the pipe form the exhaust manifold to the EGR.

#13 izzy1

izzy1

Sleeping

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Bora Sport 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

shame about things not going to plan mate. things can only get better now.

#14 JD The Wheel Whore

JD The Wheel Whore

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 6264 posts
  • Crewe
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Gutted man, oh btw I saw Marcus today and the wheels are on and I have photos :)

#15 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

To be honest I'm not overly bothered about the screen as there are a couple of little chips in it, I'm more annoyed at myself for not taking the base back off the screen before reattaching the mirror, but shiz happens

Pm me them jd, or pm me a link to his build if he has one

#16 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

Right my seats from the Bora have sold so my coilover fund has just been replenished after I bought an iPhone with it the other day.

The lad is coming from Sheffield next Sunday for me to fit, and wire them in. I've got a couple of other things I want to order though like a service kit, and some polyurethane so they might have to wait until payday, but things are finally looking down for the Audi

#17 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Right Tuesday I got a bit of time to myself so I set aboutchanging all of my bulbs, bar the fogs as they were that fused i snapped my T20bit so I've sprayed them with a bucket load of WD40 to soak, and I will try toget them swapped at the weekend if I have time.

Here is a little comparison shot of the standard and nightbreaker bulbs next to each other
IMAG1847_zps19fd297a.jpg

mmmmmmmm look at those sexy golden bits
IMAG1848_zps3cbbfe34.jpg
IMAG1850_zps97962346.jpg

Right down to the nitty gritty, and before you start if your planning on doing this in front of the car because your lazy and can't be bothered walking all the way to the kitchen table get a nice big piece of cardboard.

There are 4 Torx bolts/screws holding each light unit inplace.
There are two on top that are clearly visible
IMAG1834_zps3d16fc42.jpg

One down the left hand side by the radiator hose
IMAG1836_zps734a8160.jpg
IMAG1839_zps6e062e5d.jpg

One down by the power steering reservoir
IMAG1838_zpsd1ef6859.jpg
IMAG1840_zps0558d649.jpg

The two on the top need to come out completely, but the twoat the bottom only need to be loosened off.
There is a little plug that holds part of the loom to theunit that you have to pull out also that is on the inside
48ea8387-6fe9-4e87-9024-262db1accd0c_zps

Once this has been done the unit will slide out a few inchesto allow better access to the main loom plug.
Once out a few inches you can then get a flat headedscrewdriver into the release hole for the loom which needs to be pulled off theunit to fully pull it out
IMAG1851_zps411383bf.jpg

The drivers side involves a little bit more as you have toremove the cold air feed pipe, but this is only a case of removing two screwsthat you can see below. Once these have been removed you simply pull the twopieces of plastic pipe up, and the top piece just clips into the air box.
IMAG1864_zps6bae1fcc.jpg

Also be mindful of the bonnet release cable whenremoving/refitting the drivers side as it passes along the top of the lightunit
IMAG1860_zps1e63aff1.jpg

Then there are two on top again
IMAG1858_zpsf5f8ff16.jpg

One on the inside where you can also see the small loom plugneeds to be pulled out
IMAG1856_zps2773672a.jpg

And one down the back near the air box
IMAG1857_zps5c79baa1.jpg

Now remember that piece of card I spoke of earlier well thisis where you use it. Stick it on the floor so you can put the light unit downwithout damaging it.

There are two metal clips that need to be popped open so youcan remove the plastic covers. You can use your fingers so don't be tempted touse a screwdriver, or similar as you will most likely break them.
IMAG1841_zps27324389.jpg
IMAG1842_zps4f28e863.jpg

The indicator bulb holders simply twist then pull out. It'sat this point that you need to put a clean pair of gloves on as the oil, dirt,and grease on the gloves you have on will just damage your nice new bulbs.
IMAG1843_zpsc276cd79.jpg
IMAG1844_zpseb8961c2.jpg

When you take the plastic covers off you will notice thatthe sidelight holder is hidden behind the leveling motor, but it simply twistsout of the way
IMAG1846_zps2c67d6ab.jpg
IMAG1845_zps7bca45f1.jpg

Once you have replaced the bulbs its time to fit the lightunits back into the car which is pretty easy you simply push them back in sothat the clips sit into the bottom of the light and around the lower screws.
IMAG1861_zps7883013c.jpg
IMAG1863_zpsf564b91c.jpg

If the lights won't simply push in with minimal effort thenthey aren't lined up properly, so don't force them just pull them back out abit and try again. Once in you just have to push the loom plug back on until itclicks, and clip the little loom back onto the side.

Then sit back and enjoy no more orange in your headlights,and much better light output.

30375F2B-8121-4E0B-AFDF-FA6515912C3A_zps

IMAG1865_zpsee516398.jpg

#18 2Crooky

2Crooky

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Nice motor!....nicer dog though :)

#19 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

nice man - good to see some more Avants popping up :) 

#20 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nice motor!....nicer dog though :)

Cheers he's available for stud if your interested Chuckle

#21 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

nice man - good to see some more Avants popping up :) 

Cheers can't beat an Avant I've wanted one for a while now

#22 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Looks a good'un...I just bought a 130 tdi sport avant with sat nav (no leather tho)....nice to get 650 miles out of a tank again........from a 4Motion its a welcome change from 340 miles to a tank!!!

Looking at getting the later lower bumper parts and tail-gate spoiler and maybe S4 interior when funds allow.

Getting to know the odd quirks of the Audi's....like unplugging fuse 15 after a dead battery to get the fuel gauge working again...whats that all about ?!

Loving the suspension artwork, LOADS of moving parts to go wrong there, but its a smooth drive none the less.

I'll be honest I don't like the full leather, I much prefer the 1/2 leathers I had in my Bora, but I couldn't turn this car down on that basis ha ha

The GMBH body kit isn't that easy to come by mate as they only fitted it to the cars made in the last 12 months before the facelift. I looked quite a lot whilst searching for a car in case I came across a good sport model that didn't have it fitted, but I couldn't find any parts.

I'll bear the fuse 15 thing in mind should I ever get a flat battery

#23 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Managed to get a couple of hours to my self yesterday after fitting, and wiring in the seats from my Bora into their new owners car. So I got a few jobs done with the intention of finishing off today, but the monsoon weather that came in last night has put a stop to those ideas.

I picked some parts, and stuff up from Manchester Audi (the one near heaven, oh sorry Old Trafford) on my dinner the other day, and I don't have a bad word to say about their service and parts department as they were very helpful, and even ordered the parts they didn't have in stock to be there the next morning. It is normally a 2day wait on parts and these were here in less than 24hrs.

I also got a full service kit of MAN filters from GSF, as they are the same spec as Audi ones, but half the price

#24 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Air filter change

Firstly you need to remove the cold air feed pipe. It is actually two pieces that clip together, and they come out pretty easy

Remove the two screws that you can see above the headlight, then it simply pulls up and out as the top piece just clips into the top of the air box

And out the way they go

There are three little clips that hold the MAF sensor wire to the box that just pull out, two on the left, and one on the rear

Once the wire is free unclip the MAF sensor, and unscrew the clamp that holds the TIP onto the box

Once all these are off undo the two screws on the box itself, then the top is free to pull up and out. Got to like the fact that Audi actually bothered to put a heat shield on there too

Note which way it was when you removed it so that you put it back in the right way

Old versus new

Once out remove all the dirt, bugs, leaves, etc left in the housing (the wifes hoover is good for the little bits)

Before you seat the new filter it is a good idea to clean all around the area to avoid any debris getting into the new filter when you fit it.

Make sure you seat the filter correctly so that it seals when the lid is put back on. Then slide the top back down into the hole carefully trying not to get anything on the filter as you go.

Then you screw the two screws back in and reconnect all the clips, pipes, etc and jobs a gooden.

#25 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Pollen filter change

You need to remove this cover which is there to prevent rain water getting into the pollen filter housing.

The front edge simply pops out from under the seal, or you can pull that bit of the seal off

Then it simply pulls outwards towards you to reveal the hosing

You simply press the two clips you can see to unlock it, then lift the front edge up and pull it out towards you.

You will however come across a little obstruction in the form of the terminal cover

Easy resolve to this though you simply unclip it like so

Once out you will see the filter that just lifts up, and out. Take note of which way it is seated in case you forget when you come to fit the new one.

As you can see it needed changing

When you come to fit the housing top, and cover make sure you seat them properly as if they aren’t water gets into the filter causing steamy windows.

#26 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

New covers

Firstly I can’t believe Audi decided to cost cut and stop putting these covers on as standard on the later models, the fools!

Here is a pic of how it comes out of the factory (iPhone 4s and speakers not included)

The parts needed to do the job are cheaper to buy from Audi than eGay so don’t bother looking on there:

Battery cover – 8E2 819 422 A 01C - £5.71

Scuttle cover – 8E2 819 447 01C - £13.94

The job takes all of 10mins to do as there are no screws, bolt, etc to do so no tools are needed.

1. Unlock car, and pop bonnet
  2. pull the seal that runs across the engine bay (you can see it removed in the above picture)
  3. pull the pollen filter rain cover towards you
  4. Line up the scuttle cover with it’s fixing groove below the wipers, then push it in
  5. Put seal back on to hold the front edge down
  6. drop the battery cover into the grooves on the scuttle cover, then slide it in the opposite direction of the arrows on it until it clips/locks into place

I like the fact that the battery cover is in the crackle finish like part of the engine cover

Finished picture, and how it should be from the factory

#27 Norv

Norv

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Lovely avant you have there. Very clean.

Thinking of getting one for the mrs, quite fancy a quattro sport 130, anything in particular I should look out for?

#28 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Cheers mate, I wanted a quattro tbh, but I never came across a good one that wasn't overpriced.

The usual service things such as belts, pumps, correct oil, and listen out for the DMF rattling as thats an expensive one.

Suspension knocks and bangs as there are loads of moving parts on these

If your near any hills give it some beans up it in 3rd and 4th to look for excess smoke, and more importantly limp mode.

The front wings rot on these, but that will be obvious once you start looking at them

Buttons wear on the inside

Broken/jammed can holder and credit card holder

The heating elements in the rear side windows not working

#29 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Gonna be grabbing the covers too, the B7 doesn't have them either - thanks for the part numbers and write up  Big Smile

#30 bigjim-85

bigjim-85

Pro tinkerer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts
  • Manchester
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

They stopped putting them on from 03reg on the B6 for cost saving, so the B7 never got them. I got the part numbers from Olly's thread so we should be thanking him really ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users