Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Mrbadger - New Wheels On, Now Just Need Lows...

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  MrBadger 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As my beautiful anthracite 130 is now long gone, I kinda feel that the new workhorse deserves its own thread and the old stealth wagon deserves to rest in peace.

So;

Sold the grey one and bought a Volvo S40 2.0d. Yes. I know. Stop it. Seriously, don't! It seemed like a good idea as I need to soak up about 140 miles a day, but in reality, well, I did catch it on fire at one point and contemplated walking away.

Skip forward 20,000 miles to Sept 2013 and I managed to get shot of the V-vo and decided to head back to familiar territory...... That and I'm still in a complicated legal battle to take on my mortgage solo from previously being joint with my ex. So I needed to free up some cash to fund the legal machine, and also was quite looking forward to enjoying my commute each day again.

Looked at a couple of mk5's and just didn't take to them. Nope, I'm a mk4 kinda guy. Found this about 30 miles away and busted down to have a shoofty......

IMAG0362_zps6fb79c44.jpg

2003 PD150 with FSH on 134k, cams done, belts done, and 9 month's ticket at a very fair price. Needless to say it came home with me the next day :D

It had been a family car for some years, and has spent too much time in Devon lanes! so first up was a few passes with the DA

IMAG0363_zps4ec338f8.jpg

A couple of passes

IMAG0365_zps3d69b667.jpg

The usual rear bumper scuffage!

IMAG0430_zpsb6358634.jpg

Be gone (ish)!

IMAG0432_zps3ecc32db.jpg

I know this isn't any pro standard of correction, but the paint is poor in some areas and will be properly fixed up or sprayed at some point, so I just wanted to shine it up and get some protection on.

IMAG0409_zps24d8a7bc.jpg

Did the boot light upgrade that I had put in my last one. Soooooooooooo much better! :Y:

IMAG0387_zpsfe8b40dc.jpg

That was all done in the first week or so, then kinda chilled over Xmas.

Have some performance and economy concerns at the minute, but no faults on vagcom, so thinking I either have a small leak or it's just coked to death after 147k?

More to follow over the weekend..... It's good to be back :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome back dude!!! Like the boot upgrade, details please as I am still a FNG to VW

aaron
Cheers chap

Details are most likely in my old thread, but straight forward 2 x 40cm (I think) 12v LED strips from eBay, some speaker wire, and then ran the wiring from the back of the existing 501 fitment boot light along under the boot carpet to nearside, and up through the tail light housing to the nearside. Strips are stuck up either side of the sidey-bits for the parcel shelf. Am still tempted to get some more and run along the inside edge so it lights it inwards.... B)

You can get better LED strips now with flush SMDs and 3M tape on the back. These are oldskool and held on with no more nails :eek:

If you haven't yet, do the number plate LEDs too, they make it look so much crisper in my opinion :Y:

#4 ·
Forgot to mention - I replaced the number plates as soon as I could. Old plates REALLY let a car down and am always amazed at how much fresher new ones make it look.

Also have a work in progress on some accidentally purchased rims..... bought in the dark :(

IMAG0571_zps86cd2dc0.jpg

Well, I do enjoy a challenge and my old green/pink/black ones are still on the bench too!!

IMAG0561_zpsd9b3b4eb.jpg

I really need to get these acid dipped

#5 ·
Dark purchsing is risky!! My old man bought a 205gti in the dark and rain, not his best choice ever!!!

I have used pristine wheels, but need to get mine done and going to use pureklass in coventry next I think.

good work so far and loving the old school attachments.

I woll.do the leds soone enough and new number plate makes big difference I agree.

#6 ·
They were cheap and I knew they would need some lip action (?) but still horrific to find rot!!!

Have been offered a really good price down here for strip, prep and powdercoat, but I had a brilliant time refurbing the RS4s a couple of years ago, and just like to see my handywork pay off. Admittedly, they were nowhere near professional finish, but always got nice comments :D the fact that everything in my garage from my snowboards to my tumble dryer ended up with a green sheen to them was a bonus :unsure:

The new ones have already had an hour each of some scotchbrite, sanding down through to 1200 and then some electric drill-powered polishing action!! Again, not pro show wheels and definitely not mirror finished, but good enough to run through the next few months in these conditions.

#10 ·
Coming along very nicely!!

If you don't mind me asking how did you do the interior?
Cheers dude.

Door cards off, melt or grind away the tabs holding the cloth part on, then spray adhesive and four-way stretch lycra type fabric from good old eBay!

Refit is pretty much revers, just need to get the tabs lined up and either glue or (very short) screw them.

It got sworn at a lot and isn't the best job, but putting off my second attempt until I regain some patience!! Chuffed with the look though as really stands out quit enicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.