Tom-uk

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Leeds
  • Golf VI SE TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hi guys

I have just got a 1.6 mk6 tdi and am looking to do some upgrades. I'd quite like some more braking power and have heard people suggesting 312mm front discs off a gti however I am unclear if I will need to change my hubs to take these discs. Can anyone confirm this? I have 18s so will be able fit them underneath.
I've also heard people have good increases in performance when using stainless steel lines, what are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

(Ps, i am aware that the 1.6 tdi is not a high performance car but I want to do the conversion for the look and for the experience of it: no trolling please)

#2 Antix

Antix

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I don't know much about brakes, tbh

But I know that 312mm GTI brakes are also standard on the GT models, so that should increase availability.

As for 'the look' of GT/GTI brakes - why bother? Standard (312mm) brakes on my GT-TSI 160 are way too powerful as it is (almost 'dangerous' sometimes, following drivers sometimes get a shock!)

If you don't need the brake upgrade then it's a pointless expenditure. Save for the GTI grille or bumper, or LED rear lights  ;-)

#3 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3093 posts
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure about the MK6 but on my Mk5 1.9TDI 105PS ( and on the low power models) the callipers are bolted directly to the hub carriers, On the more powerful models the calliper bolts to a carrier which is then bolted to the hub carrier. Upgrades on these simply require you to acquire the carriers/callipers and larger discs and bolt them to the hub existing hub carriers and hub, The hub itself does not need changing they are the same on all models. On the base models you need to acquire and change the hub carriers first to allow a "bolt-on" calliper and disc swap

Given that the Mk6 is fundamentally a re-engineered 5 (reducing high build cost was the main driver for the Mk6) it is possible that the basic brakes were carried over too. Check by jacking up a front wheel, remove the tyre and check if the calliper is bolted directly to the hub carrier

Unless you existing hoses are faulty stainless hoses alone will not improve the brakes, that depends on the type and condition of the rest of the components. Hoses simply contain the fluid and transfer the hydraulic pressure. If you were to change hoses only then under heavy brake pressure you might notice the pedal is a little less "soft" or "spongy"but the brake performance will otherwise be unchanged. This is due to the hoses stretching or "ballooning" slightly when under high pressure. Assuming quality components in both  cases the stainless braided hose will generally stretch or balloon less but normally any change would be barely visible and would not affect the braking effort. Good quality and wider tyres, then discs and pads are a far better investment if looking to improve braking.

Ultimately braking depends on the grip between tyre and road and normally the wheel will lock and'or ABS kick in long before the brake system itself is found wanting

Personally I do not find my standard brakes deficient

#4 Tom-uk

Tom-uk

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Leeds
  • Golf VI SE TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

My standard discs just look tiny under my bbs 18s is all.
I have seen a set of gti discs carriers and pads on eBay for £150 whereas a set of redstuff pads is £70, I feel like I might as well get the big brakes.
So will I just need to make sure I get the carriers with the calipers to ensure they'll fit?

#5 mustard

mustard

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • West Susssex
  • Golf VI GTI 2.0 210PS

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

According to my Haynes manual the 1.6 TDI has 288mm discs and the carriers are bolted on, so it should be possible to replace the carriers and discs to upgrade to 312mm discs.

#6 Vdub-A1

Vdub-A1

MK6 Dubber

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • North London
  • Golf VI S 1.4 80PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

was this mod ever done?, did the gti hub carrier fit as a replacement on a car that has the direct caliper fitting? and does the coilover and drive shaft all fit?

???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users