sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

I'm building a budget Track/drag car, with handling/track being the primary focus. But It will probably be doing time at Santa Pod with the VWDRC next year, If things go well.

So what is it? It's an early MK1 Audi A3. Known for the moment simply as 'The A3'. It's a tatty looking S reg (1998) 1.8T and it cost me a whopping £150.

20150321_084828_zpszpc3iqpe.jpg

20150321_084838_zpsakvbfw26.jpg

20150321_084851_zpssozumuzr.jpg

20150321_084903_zpskaa2sidz.jpg

20150321_084914_zpshobfvxsm.jpg

The first port of call for any race car... it went on a diet!

20150321_092208_zpsnlumxjwu.jpg

20150321_092215_zpslusb0wbi.jpg

I stripped out the seats and quite a lot of the trim, but the dash, carpets, headlining and boot trim are still fitted... for now.

Then I started crossing off faults one by one, starting with what I through was a knackered gearbox mount... Turns out someone has sheered 2/3 of the gearbox bolts, so it was wobbling around on one loose bolt :o

Drilled through them suckers though and nut/bolted it. Job's a goodun. :Y:

20150321_163714_zpsplrsiuuq.jpg

(excuse dem photog skills yo)

20150321_163719_zpsakxgrcod.jpg

general grubby engine shot.

20150321_163730_zpshhsg91se.jpg

So there you have it, the first instalment of the race car. There is much to do, may parts to buy, and a lot to learn, but basically this will be a budget track toy that I plan to build for £1K.

Stay tuned...

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 48919 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

So there you have it, the first instalment of the race car. There is much to do, may parts to buy, and a lot to learn, but basically this will be a budget track toy that I plan to build for £1K.

6 Months and £78,000 later.................... :new-chuckle:

#3 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3922 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

6 Months and £78,000 later.................... :new-chuckle:

Only £78k! On a separate note good luck with the build. I'll look forward to seeing the updates. Are you planning to keep the car street legal?

Oh, I also like the air cooled tin kicking around. Used to have a bay window in that orange many years ago.

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#4 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

Looking forward to seeing this progress Adrian! :Y:

#5 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Cheers lads, i've already chewed through over half my budget, but i have brought new tyres, front brakes, a lambda sensor, oil filter, fuel filter, timing belt kit, plugs, and a few other bits and pieces. Next up is coilovers, and a new battery. It's also getting a LCR suframe, quick rack, arms and uprated ARBs thanks to Jay p. And yes, the car will be staying road legal, as i'll need to drive it to events (dont have towing license)

#6 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

Look forward to the progress on this
27786273210_6ebcc383ef.jpg

Keep up with my photo's on instagram:  @_baz

#7 stobo91

stobo91

Still a newbie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5820 posts
  • Chesterfield, Derbyshire
  • -------

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

Yayyy glad you got it!

Subscribed!

#8 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2366 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hey hey this looks fun :D
Good start :Y:

If you need a hand with anything I'll be more than happy to try and help.
you live in Kent so it's practically next door :)

#9 DanMaytee

DanMaytee

Much Uk. Very Mkivs. WOW.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4714 posts
  • Jetta SE 1.9 TDI

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

Subscribed! :).  Sounds like you have some good plans for this.  Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

12719239_536115556556230_491597040440535

DanMaytee/Pudding Power

JustAnotherMk5 - PD105 Build Thread

#10 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

Oh and i forgot to mention, I picked up a Wizards of NOS kit for this car a couple of weeks back. It was too cheap not to buy. The fully programmable progressive controller alone is £400, and i got the whole kit (bottle, heater jacket, bracket, solenoids, jets etc) for £250. Not counting towards the 'budget' as it's not a necessity, It was just too good to not buy.

That's more for the drag racing aspect of the car though, and wont be going on until I put uprated rods on, which wont be until winter I think. I suppose i could safely run a 50 shot though, if i really wanted...

Look forward to the progress on this

Thanks man, i'll try not to disappoint! Many packages are inbound.

Yayyy glad you got it!

Subscribed!

Had to be done really, didn't it!?

Hey hey this looks fun :D
Good start :Y:

If you need a hand with anything I'll be more than happy to try and help.
you live in Kent so it's practically next door :)

I was wondering how long it'd be until you saw this thread ;) I'm probably going to keep it as DIY as possible, as I want it to be my labour of love, and put my own stamp on it, so to speak, but if i need a hand i'll give you a shout :)

I expect to see you at lydden hill for Apex festival in May. It's a brilliant show, and track time is cheap! PM me if you're interested as I have a promo code for 25% off ticket prices. Apex festival will be this car's debut.

Subscribed! :).  Sounds like you have some good plans for this.  Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

I have devious plans... :whistle:

#11 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2366 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

PM'd
Haha this is going to be a fun car. Awesome that you have a nice little AGU engine in there as well.
What turbo are you thinking of using or is it top secret atm ;)

#12 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

I don't like exhausts very much...

https://www.youtube....h?v=5mNuvIZEebc

PM'd
Haha this is going to be a fun car. Awesome that you have a nice little AGU engine in there as well.
What turbo are you thinking of using or is it top secret atm ;)

Gonna just run the K03 into the ground this year, nice and cheap, don't have to worry about killing it.

My girlfriends brother Carl has a cast T3 manifold kicking around that he would practically give me. So anything on the T3 flange, which gives me a lot to chose from.

300hp would be more than enough I think. But we're talking long term now.

Right now it's running a factory map, at only 7PSI, hasn't got a lambda sensor at the moment either but it drives okay.

#13 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2366 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

Haha being that it's an got the old me3.8 ecu, for a cheap bit of temporary extra go you can stick a bleed valve on the n75 to get it to boost up to 14psi before it hits fuel cut ;)

#14 shammy

shammy

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6599 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

Look forward to seeing this develop mate!

#15 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Haha being that it's an got the old me3.8 ecu, for a cheap bit of temporary extra go you can stick a bleed valve on the n75 to get it to boost up to 14psi before it hits fuel cut ;)

Yeah i think i'll just whack a manual boost controller on it and leave it as is until i go standalone management.

Look forward to seeing this develop mate!

Cheers shammy :)

#16 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

1k budget you say? What till you see what I've got coming up for sale

Lotsa goodies....

#17 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

1k budget you say? What till you see what I've got coming up for sale

Lotsa goodies....

Gimme gimme gimme!

Whatcha got Tabs? I need 256mm rear brakes, and suspension...

#18 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25425 posts
  • Liverpool

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

Step this way....I've got a couple of sets rear 256mm calipers and one set of carriers. Not sure which is up for grabs at the mo but I'll keep you posted. Note one set needs a good refurb.

Got a pair of superpro rear axle bushes going up for sale later. They're from the track bora but only covered 4k and are solid.

Just listed some braided front brake lines in the classifieds.

Suspension can't help with that one but if you're doing limited mileage a cheaper set will suffice. You'll want height adjustable though so you can rake the stance for drag launches..

Reminds me I've got some 17" drag radials in the garage too....

#19 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like you just need to fill a crate up and post it to me ;) drag radials you say...

The braided lines i'd be interested in, and i've got my eye on some FK Konigsport's like i had on my V5 (liked them alot) but the condition is unknown. The beam bushes might also be handy...

#20 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

Minor update this evening. The bottle heater jacket from my nitrous kit I brought was damaged, the wires often get damaged and fall off/fray probably due to the heat and stress they are under, as they're soldered directly to the heating element, when really they should be crimp/screw terminals or something not susceptible to heat.#

But anyway, I haven't re-engineered it, I just replaced the wires with some high quality 4mm silicon. Much more flexible than the factory wire, because of the massively high strand count, and it's also heat proof. Once I soldered the wires on (spaced them further apart on purpose) I bonded everything back down with sealant,

20150324_181908_zpslcoqkvsh.jpg

#21 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

It's finally the weekend! :D

I've got a stack load of packages waiting for me, and a car desperate for some love. Early start tomorrow morning and i'm going to try and get as much done as possible!

#22 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Some hard graft went into this at the weekend. This morning I was broken. Aching all over, paracetamol just to function without groaning, plus a cold and generally feeling unwell, it's been rough.

Call me a wimp, but I started at 9AM on Saturday, worked through till 11PM with help from JayPButler a pub lunch thrown in there somewhere around 1. Then i was back at it 8AM sunday morning and didn't wrap up until 9PM, having eaten only a bacon sandwich and a hot cross bun all day.

But enough about me and my ailments, what about the car?

Well I now have a Leon cupra r subframe, control arms, quick rack, H&R front ARB, 312mm front brakes, and hubs. More on the hubs in a second...

A3 on the ramp:

20150328_110612_zps1e1qyl09.jpg

Big advantage having a girl friend who's dad is a mechanic, with his own workshop, where the fun and games can happen.

Jay's Cupra in place, ready to donate it's organs to a good cause:

20150328_132401_zpsouqzsknu.jpg

First thing I did was drop the subframe off the A3... Easy job... when you know where all the important bolts are, which I didn't. But it did make it easier second time round when I had to take it off the Cupra.

20150328_172902_zps7ienhoc9.jpg

blury picture of the broken cupra:

20150328_172913_zpsbu7nb7wb.jpg

Then while trying to remove the adapters for the big brake kit on the cupra, this happened:

20150328_211608_zpspcr1wvcv.jpg

So I practised my welding skills, which are FAR from perfect, but it did help extract the stud.

20150328_211903_zpsr7elcand.jpg

Tired, defeated and rather peed off, I went for a shower and bed.

Fresh start in the morning and I started by taking the subframe, and all other related paraphernalia off the cupra:

20150329_104733_zpsipcjazjb.jpg

20150329_104547_zpseyocluta.jpg

I then lifted it on to the A3, and started nipping bolts up. At which point Jay turned up again and we continues horsing around with the welder and breaking things. I kept miss-placing my tools, and hitting things with hammers.

LCR subframe:

20150329_105920_zpslq4ijuai.jpg

Note the cut ball joints. Would be fair to say I was starting to regret taking on such a task. Every bolt on the cupra seemed to either strip the head, or start undoing, then bind up completely. I had to cut the ball joints and brake carriers off, which ultimately left me with two buggered track rod ends, and a knackered hub.

But despite the trials and tribulations, We managed to get both cars back with 4 wheels on, so we could free the workshop up for Monday morning, when 'proper' work was going to be done.

20150329_204012_zpshngmng0l.jpg

While I was doing the subframe swap, i put my newly acquired 312mm carriers and discs on, which has filled out the wheels nicely:

20150329_204908_zpsfuik7ej2.jpg

And finally, i gave the car a lambda sensor, which should help it fuel a bit better:

20150329_204926_zpssbk0cq6f.jpg

One of the hardest weekends of work of my life. It really doesn't look like much when you write it all down, but it was a solid weekend of work. Would be quicker next time round though, now I know what I'm doing!

Also, a potential name was born for this car, when i messaged Jay late Saturday night, saying Seat+Audi=Saudi...

#23 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Brilliant work as usual Adrian! Sounds like real hard work but will make a hell of a difference! 👌

#24 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Cheers Dan, and yeah, i hope so! Got a whole load of other bits to do next weekend. I also forgot to mention i fitted a new bonnet strut, and o/s front indicator, as the old one was smashed. It's the little detials that make the difference :)

#25 Nate_G

Nate_G

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • South Wales
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Good work dude, looking forward to the rest of this build. 

What are you going to do about the ball joint now?

Picture1(2).png

#26 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

You have done the right thing adding that lot ..... makes the car handle from shoot to good.

You will need a rear ARB to match that front or you will suffer from understeer still.

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#27 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

Good work dude, looking forward to the rest of this build.

What are you going to do about the ball joint now?

New tie rod ends and balljoint are already on order, as are some new knuckles. Gonna get some bew bearings too and just swap the whole lot over when the coilovers go on.

You have done the right thing adding that lot ..... makes the car handle from shoot to good.

You will need a rear ARB to match that front or you will suffer from understeer still.

I do hope so! Rear beam is getting polly bushed and roll bar'd soon :)

#28 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2366 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

That's a fair amount of work done in a couple of days :Y: It really is well worth the swap, it's a night/day difference

I'm surprised you didn't nab the 4pot callipers while you was at it

#29 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

That's a fair amount of work done in a couple of days :Y: It really is well worth the swap, it's a night/day difference

I'm surprised you didn't nab the 4pot callipers while you was at it

6pots, actually! with ECS floating rotors front and back. The thing about a BBK like that is they're way over my budget, you have to run 18" wheels, which means buying 18" track day tyres... expensive! And they wouldn't actually help me all that much on a track!

312mm front + 256mm rears, in a stripped out car like mine should be more than enough i reckon. Decent pads, braided lines and cooling ducts would be the only other brake mods I would consider at this point.

#30 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2366 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

I agree for the most part, the other bonus with using smaller brakes is you are not adding a huge amount of unsprung weight. I'm sure I have read somewhere that 1kg of unsprung is equal to 3kg sprung.

Im off to brands at the end of april so ill let you know how my 312's hold up, I have a feeling that if its a nice dry day they will start to cook though. I think the LCR 4 pots will be the way to go if this is the case as they just fit under 17's which is still a compromise but may be necessary.

If they are fine though ill probably go the other direction and look at lightweight 16's with low profile tyres. which should help unsprung weight and give a bit better acceleration form the overall drop in wheel size  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users