Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

The SVH MkIV TFSI 4Motion...BUY ME

167K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  a89 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Salford Van Hire Golf
Not long ago I did my first track day at Rockingham in my MkV 2.0 TDI. Was a great day and the car was fantastic. Especially as I use the car everyday and managed to drive 150 miles to the track, do just under 100 miles on the track, and then drive back on one tank.
But whilst there I was inspired by the uk-mkivs track project: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/330392.aspx
So after not so much thought and an evaluation of my small amount of funds I thought I'd take a leap and buy a project car myself. My MkV has just under 200bhp and 350ft/lbs of torque which is the most I wanted to go up to on front wheels and every driver in order to keep it controlable and reliable. This lead me to think 4 wheel drive.
Looked at a few options, starting with a Mitsubishi GTO; 3.0 V6 twin turbo, 4 wheel steer and fast. But extremely expensive to run, and if anything goes wrong I'd be screwed. This then lead me to think about an Impreza or Evo, but what I was looking at didn't really do anything for me. The MkIV R32 obviously popped into my head, but there was no chance I could afford one. So i thought of the next step down, the 2.8 v6 4motion. Bit of research was done and I realised I could pick one up for around ÂŁ3000, which was the top end of what I wanted to pay. Carried on having a look around and found a year 2000 MkIV Golf v6 4motion on autotrader. Had a fair bit of exterior damage but low mileage. Drove the 4 hours down to Chelmsford yesterday and came back up in a red 4motion with 76000 on the clock, having parted with ÂŁ2000.
I then thought about funding for the next stages of going all out on the car, already knowing it's going to cost a little bit I thought of how to ease the cost, and I managed to get where I work onboard. The car will be used as an advertisement for the company in return for using certain contacts and getting certain parts through them.
First impressions are definitely good. Rides very well, not too harsh but definitely not too soft and wobbly. The steering feels a bit light when turning gently but does seem to weight up under harsher movement and there is less body roll than I was expecting. Going from a diesel to a V6 petrol is amazing to hear. How I missed the petrol soundtrack. At low revs there is a nice deep exhaust note as the car purrs away. Then from mid to high range the engine has a great growl that you could listen to all day. The car is quick and smooth, however I would not say there is a great leap in speed between my MkV and the 4motion, there is a gap, a good gap, but not a leap. However, the 4motion shifts instantly from putting the foot down which is fantastic. And again, the sound it makes!!!
Just the modifying to start at now when funds allow. I will be weighing the car and getting it on a Rolling Road before doing anything to give an interesting comparison of before and after.
frontnearsidequarter.jpg

Any comments/criticisms welcome.

See less See more
#9 ·
Another stripped out 4motion project in Manchester, good man. Did you see my black 3 door 4Mo at the Rockingham track day, Kirkey seats etc? Be good to compare notes at some point as the guys meet up from time to time to chat about these things.
No I don't think I did mate. To be honest was to busy getting over excited with it being my 1st track day. [:DD] Definately wouldn't mind havin a nosy at it. I'm planning on taking it to a weigh bridge on Saturday then start tearing things out next week.

Where about's are you based?

#10 ·
One of the first things that will be done to the exterior is the wheels. I'm looking into some BBS CHs at the moment. Probably going to look for the black ones or get them painted black with the silver lip. Don't know what tyres yet. I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Mk5 which are great but will probably look into a more track orientated tyre.

The wheels on the picture are now up for sale in the classifieds if any1s interested.

#11 ·
If your gonna be tracking it regularly, I would go for OZ superturismos or a similar wheel. MUCH lighter than most. Also, 17" wheels will be lighter still, and probably offer better handling for the track. If your gonna do it, then do it right, not for looks, so much as functionality

#12 ·
If your gonna be tracking it regularly, I would go for OZ superturismos or a similar wheel. MUCH lighter than most. Also, 17" wheels will be lighter still, and probably offer better handling for the track. If your gonna do it, then do it right, not for looks, so much as functionality
Wasn't sure on which size to go with. Was thinking of 17" for lightness but I thought 18" would have been better for the lower profile tyre? Still learning, slowly! Definately look into the OZ light range though. I don't really know what other light wheels there are.

And saw that you were running ko3's, was that on your 4motion?

#16 ·
looks like a good project, i'll be interested to see what you do to get more power. i've had my Bora 4motion for just under two months and the mods i've done have made a MASSIVE difference. so far i've fitted H&R spacers, H&R arb's, audi S3 17's and a set of JOM coilovers from the current group buy..... the car handles really well now but i'm also thinking about getting some strut braces for the front upper/lower and one for the rear.

#17 ·
nice buy [Y]

my v6 is going on a diet soon.. rear seats removed, carpets/sound deadening gone, replaced with carbon/aluminium front seats harness. lightened motosport wheels, yet to be decided, bigger brakes.. the rest is almost done, arbs, springs dampers/milltek.

turbo conversion in the summer [Y] a ko3s on a v6 would be funny...i could blow more air than on of them..lol [;)] have a look at the garret gt 35/40/45 if you are serious, i prefer the turbo feel to a supercharger though..[Y]

wheels you want the smallest that will fit over your brakes? what brake setup you thinking?

#22 ·
sounds tasty, have you thought about taking the v6 out to save wait and putting something more tuneable and lighter, aka 1.8T
I thought about the 1.8T and going with a front diff but you still have all the power going to the steering wheels and the diff still doesn't get rid of all problems. And the sound of the v6 is awsome. Hopefully will be able to get more power yet keep a bit more reliability with the v6 also.

#24 ·
nice buy

my v6 is going on a diet soon.. rear seats removed, carpets/sound deadening gone, replaced with carbon/aluminium front seats harness. lightened motosport wheels, yet to be decided, bigger brakes.. the rest is almost done, arbs, springs dampers/milltek.

turbo conversion in the summer
a ko3s on a v6 would be funny...i could blow more air than on of them..lol
have a look at the garret gt 35/40/45 if you are serious, i prefer the turbo feel to a supercharger though..

wheels you want the smallest that will fit over your brakes? what brake setup you thinking?
Cheers. You wouldn't let me have yours so I thought I better look for another one!

I thought of one of those eletric super chargers to blow as much air as the ko3s into the v6! [:DD] I have been looking into garrets, and the STS rear mounted kit that Balance sell. I like to be a bit different.

With the brakes I'm going to stick with the 312mm for now with performance disks and pads. If the funds appear I may go with something like the Leon Cupra R brembos but not sure yet. Will speak to DaveB when it comes to it and see what he has.

#25 ·
Took the car to a weigh bridge on saturday to see what a huge task I've set myself to make it a lightweight 4motion.

It came in like a right fatty at 1520kg. I know it's down to the 4wheel drive and a heavy engine but I dont think the full leather interior with heated front seats helped. Probably going to start tearing out the interior tomorrow I hope.

The bits will be going up for sale in the classifieds when done for those interested.

Oh, and put on a cheap "carbon" induction kit I had lying around on yesterday. All I can say is "My oh my, that v6 sounds great."

#26 ·
Been out this afternoon for a little bit before the good old weather decided to throw it down.

Started in the boot which now has no carpet, the boot door is now stripped and the panels that would come off without a torx screw driver (thingy-m-jig). The motor from the windscreen wiper will be coming out when I find something to block the hole left by the wiper blade (any suggestions?).

Before(ish):

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Grab handles were removed which were easy as they used a normal phillips screw drive (why can't they use just one type of screw?)

Posted Image

And took the surrounds from the centre console out, the cupholder along with the ashtray cover before removing the the footrest in the drivers footwell.

Posted Image

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.