K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hello UK-MKIV's.  

I feel that after browsing since I've bought my MK4 nearly 2 years ago that I should get a thread started.  Some of you might recongnise my username, it's common between ClubPolo, Edition38, Nefmoto and various other places.  I'm pretty active on Nefmoto (a tuning site, for those that don't know), and tend to be more focused on tuning rather than documenting what I've done.

That said, I had a 6n2 Polo before the Golf that served me pretty damn well for my first 4 years of driving.  My thread is still on ClubPolo AFAIK.  Spec was pretty basic:

Throttle pedal mod'ed to allow for throttle cable.
Custom electric window loom to allow for OEM electric windows.
Electric central logging.
Hybrid AFH 1.6 16v with CBR600 bike carbs.
Homemade bike carb manifold.

RecentCar031_zps18d81722.jpg

Was driven daily (between all the mishaps, if anyone remembers), until it finally pinked (and I didn't know), smashed a ring land off and died.  I couldn't be bothered fixing it, so I came home in a teary mess and started browsing for something a little bit better.

At the time, I worked in McDonald's while I was studying at university and my manager had an anthracite MK4 three door 1.8t.  I've always craved a MK4, and as ironic as it is - with 3SDMs.  I remember that my manager linked me to one on ScottishVag months previously.  On the night that my Polo gave up, I started to trawl through the various sites looking for a new car.  I stumbled upon the one that my manager linked to me months previously, and that it still hadn't sold.

It was a 5 door, anthracite grey MK4 with a 1.8t.  Something I've always wanted.  Not only that, it wasn't even 15 minutes from my house, and advertised at £1400.

I went down to have a look and ended up purchasing it that night for a mere £1250. I later discovered that it was the later 1.8t engine with ME7.5.  

Now, there's a lot to talk about in my two years of owner ship, from various body panels, suspension, bushes, brakes, air, audio, custom clocks, etc.  But I'll get on with the pictures.

I'll list the main mods here:

Interior
Full Interior LED set
MK7 GTi Tartan roof lining
Recaro seats
280mm Momo
Bora Sport Clocks w/ R needles & white backlight, MTE, lit needles & cluster de-activate with rear fogs for logging
Auto headlight buzzer disable
MK7 GTi Golfball Gearknob
R32 Trim
W8 Light
TT foot covers
Bora Vents
Newsouth Oil and Boost Gauge
2 "Bentley" Style Keys
US Spec Center Console
6R Polo Heater Controls
Chrome-tipped window switches w/ one-touch rear windows
Custom USB Charger in cigarette socket.
Illuminated Audi door handles
Moulded MK5 Sunglasses Holder w/ Illumination
New gearshift bushes

Engine:
Powdercoated bits
N249 Delete
N112 Delete
SAI Delete
Purge Delete
New coolant bottle
TFSi coils
New coil pack loom
Polybushed dogbone
44DD solid shifter bushes
VR6 Flywheel
K04-064 Turbo
New Big End Bearings
Bores Honed
New Piston Rings
New Main Bearings
New Main Bolts
New Rear Crank Seal
Gates Racing Timing Belt
New Tensioner
New water pump
R8 Oil Cap
Porsche Coolant Cap
Custom Intercooler pipework
630cc Bosch Injectors
Southbend 4 Paddle
3" Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust

Suspension/Brakes:
Polybushed front
Polybushed Rear
AirLift V2 Performance Struts

New rear calipers w/ stainless hardware
18Z calipers w/360 Merc GL discs

Exterior:
Anni rear
Anni skirts
Colour coded badge
De-wiper
R32 Headlights w/ Joey Mod & bi-xenon
Morimoto D2S 6k bulbs
Morimoto 55w ballasts
Genuine R32 Front Bumper
Genuine R32 Front Grills
Genuine R32 Plate recess

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92
Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread.

#2 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

Basically, after seeing Nick Prawn's 064 build and liking the numbers, I decided to follow suit.  I bought a spare block, ECU, loom, all the ancilleries, mounts etc for £100.  Was pretty cheap, I know. Nothing wrong with the block.

The problem with the Polo was that I was still full time in McDonalds, attempting to complete a degree and fixing the car in between.  As a result of the first engine dying because of a massive oil leak and a dead oil pressure sensor, I never knew until it threw a rod.  I then picked up another block down south and the guy hadn't assembled it right and missed a crucial part from the pump, resulting in no oil pressure once again.

Still with my dead sensor, the light never came on and I killed another block.  After 5 I realised what was wrong, and got it right.  It lasted for about a year and all was well.  My process of Italian tuning it eventually killed it with pinking, and I moved on.

#3 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:06 PM

We'll start with the engine spec:
N249 Delete
N112 Delete
SAI Delete
Purge Delete
New coolant bottle
New G12 Coolant
New plugs
TFSi coils
New coil pack loom
Rebuilt starter
Polybushed dogbone
44DD solid shifter bushes
VR6 Flywheel Sachs Clutch
K04-064 Turbo
New Big End Bearings
Bores Honed
New Stem Seals
Lapped valves
Shallow Sump
New Piston Rings
New Main Bearings
New Main Bolts
New Rear Crank Seal
Gates Racing Timing Belt
New Tensioner
New water pump
R8 Oil Cap
Porsche Coolant Cap
Braided Fuel Lines
Custom Intercooler pipework
BAM Inlet
630cc Bosch Injectors
Bosch S4 Battery
New MAP sensor
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Southbend 4 Paddle
3" Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust
Pipercross Filter

That briefly summarises what I've done. Basically, after seeing Nick Prawn's 064 build and liking the numbers, I decided to follow suit. I bought a spare block, ECU, loom, all the ancilleries, mounts etc for £100. Cheap, I know.

Nothing wrong with the block. I got it honed by a shop and rebuild it up with fresh bearings, rings, bolts, timing belt etc. Slapped a BAM inlet on it for neatness and painted some bits. I wanted it to be clean, and unlike the Polo - work as soon as it went in, and stay working.

I went onto to buy a turbo from eBay. Specifically, a K04-064 unit from the S3. Won it for £250 quid and it came in pretty good condition. The N75 valve snapped during transport at the turbo was missing the CHRA clamp, but that's it.

Next up, I made a manifold to hold the turbo. The K04 ports match up to the 1.8t head pretty well, but the bolt pattern doesn't. So, a little plate with some holes in the right place, some threaded, some not, make the turbo bolt up pretty well. Combine that with OE coolant feed, return and a Passat oil feed means that the only custom line on this turbo job is the oil return. Hack up some K03 items and squeeze some coolant hose between them will be reet.

Ripped the engine out in a few hours and got the new one in. I got a downpipe tacked together and got an exhaust place (C&C in Glasgow) to finish the welds, total cost £30.

Once the engine was in, I uploaded my homemade map to get the engine going. Started on the button, yay.

Got it run in, have been giving it death (read: 26psi to the line), for over 1 year now, with 12k miles done. Turbo is still solid, and sees NLS and launch control every few days. Cannot kill it.

#4 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Wow impressive spec! Got any pics of the mk4?

#5 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'll get some pictures when I get up the road, I'm in work just now man.  There's loads of pictures of the engine build on my photobucket, I just need to upload them.  I've just fitted the AirLift V2 Performance kit because I was sick of driving about on a wound down set of AP's with no adjusters, etc.  The comfort was pretty poor and after smashing 8 sumps I gave up.

I bought the air at Edition and fitted it in a few days.  Boot build first, then air lines, then the struts.  Installation was pretty easy, but one of the leader lines from the bag leaked as soon as it was fitted.  The rear beam was way too oversized to hold the bag, so the bag needed slightly trimmed.  Pretty annoying.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as, because a thread without pictures is a dead thread.  I've been reading the Shopping Cart's thread over on VWVortex and I'm feeling all of the little OEM+ things the guy has.

I really fancy the sunglasses holder from the MK6! <3

#6 Simon_anni

Simon_anni

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

Sounds good mate.

Like you say we need pics  :D

Si

Sig_anni_zpsacat0kbl.jpg

My Anni build (0615): http://uk-mkivs.net/...k4-anniversary/

#7 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:35 PM

20151030_173944_zpsdgpmmjxj.jpg

SInce I got myself a sticker I thought it was time to get a thread going!

20151030_173812_zps2xyq8gsf.jpg

The clocks are different too.  Pretty overdone now.  Looking at Skoda items next:

20151030_174006_zpsxccxvtjm.jpg

#8 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

Decided air was a good idea:

FB_IMG_1444078199218_zps3s9f91ln.jpg

Washed:

FB_IMG_1439062137677_zps0chla69y.jpg

FB_IMG_1446224202434_zpsvimvhpu7.jpg

I mustache you a question:

FB_IMG_1446227874332_zpsjhg8inpx.jpg

FB_IMG_1446236556993_zpsj3de20ah.jpg

#9 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

The problem with logging with ME7Logger is that when the cluster is connected, the software can't get a reliable data rate between the ECU and the k-line.  In order to kill the interference, the cluster fuse has to be pulled. 

It's annoying when you're logging, you need to pull over, open the door, pull the fuse (with the car running), close the door, do a pull. Then reattach the fuse.  It's time consuming and it's more the nuisance factor that's the worst.

Furthermore, I bought the Auto headlight box the other month and it works really well (for £30).  The problem is, when the headlight switch is in the on position, it keeps the lights on when you open the door (coming/leaving home function), and the cluster beeps.

I have two ideas:

I'd like to mod the switch so that when I pull the front fogs to the on position that the supply to the cluster is killed (I've got R32 headlights so don't have front fogs).  This mod has two purposes: The cluster is killed when I'm logging, but also, if I leave the fog light in the "on" position, the immo won't authenticate because it can't see the cluster.  Anti-theft with the fog lights.

Also because it means the car has "broken down" if I ever get stopped for emissions. :ph34r:  :cop:  

Next, I'd like to cut the buzzer on the cluster so that when the headlight switch is in the Auto position the buzzer won't sound.  No more stupid noise when I open the door!

I'll document my thoughts and pictures here when I get stuck in this week! :)

#10 Simon_anni

Simon_anni

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

Been looking at the Autolight options myself mate.

Which kit did you buy?

Si

Sig_anni_zpsacat0kbl.jpg

My Anni build (0615): http://uk-mkivs.net/...k4-anniversary/

#11 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

http://uk-mkivs.net/...-plug-and-play/

I read through that thread numerous times and discovered that the kits have evolved over time and are now working pretty well.  I just went onto eBay and bought the cheapest one, since they're all the same.

Was about £27 IIRC.  Really easy to program, just need to find a suitable home for the sensor.  It's currently buried behind the dash so it always thinks its dark. Will be looking at getting it mounted where the OE sensor in the MK5 is.

#12 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

So over the weekend I scavenged most of the bits for the headlight washer system - as I'm running an :R bumper and I'd like it to have the washers. :) Picked up the pipework, the pumps (well, some of it), and clips, relay, some loom and the bottle for free.

Started by running the pipework:

20151115_134044_zpsprhultuy.jpg

Because I've got a wellycooler and virtually no crash bar, the pipework slots in pretty easily.  The pipe that passes through the slam panel needed shortening because the of the routing I'd chosen.

Next up, run the loom from the new pump.  Only soldering will do:

20151115_140952_zpsqlrpd9sw.jpg

Tidy with individual sections of heatshrink:

20151115_141044_zpsigmazscr.jpg

Finish with one large bit to clean it up:

20151115_141127_zpsfabycsny.jpg

For people that care, Halfords sell a box of heatshrink of various sizes cut to the same length.  While I usually get mine from Maplin, the I like how the stuff from Frauds is the same length.  The quality is notably worse though - it doesn't shrink nearly as much as the Maplin stuff.

Next up, de-pin the OE relay holder:

20151114_170815_zpsznyayizr.jpg

Becomes:

20151114_170807_zps534h8wr9.jpg

Solder up:

http://uk-mkivs.net/...dlight-washers/

Basically; 

"SRA" is pin 11 on headlight switch > goes to Pin 9 on relay. Use 1.5 mm2 (square mm) wire.

Pin 6 from relay > goes to Pin 2 on headlight washer pump on tank. Use 2.5 mm2 wire.

Pin 1 on headlight washer pump to earth. Use 2.5 mm2 wire.

Not too hard.  By using the OE connections it looks as it should from the factory.  Test when finished.  It works. :)

#13 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

I've been mapping it myself too, recently wanted to get "boost by gear" working.  ME7.5 by default (atleast on the 1.8t's, the Volvo's/Alfa's are different), have "load" by gear disabled.  That means that for a given gear, load is always 100%.

So, when I floor it in first, it always spins up.  Having 360bhp is no fun, I'll have you know.  So, I'd like to enable the feature.so that it works on mine.winols_zpsovp3miw9.png

So, by changing the amount of load I can get based on what gear I'm in, I can control the power a little better.

Long story short, the car wouldn't recognise what gear I was in because it's not seeing vehicle speed.  I flashed the original file that was on the ECU but it tripped the immo.  Stupid Adam.

20151112_182112_zps9thgdeqk.jpg

20151112_182107_zpspmp86o7s.jpg

20151112_182057_zpstnujen36.jpg

Cue bootmode.  Found that the original file DOES have vehicle speed, so I'll need to look at the differences between the files. Not too sure.

#14 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Next up, the wiring under the drivers footwell was doing my absolute moobs in.  It was messy, soldered badly and generally not ideal.  To kill a few nights, I decided to clean it up.

20151116_202820_zpshiwgkyfu.jpg

Quite a lot of homemade loom passes from the fusebox to the stereo area.  I've got a wideband and an oil pressure gauge that need power, along with amp switched lives, backlighting sources and audio going to the boot.  

I decided to combine as much of it as I can, have lovely clean solder joins and generally clean it up:

Tapped into the W8 interior light:

20151116_184355_zpsk9w01jyd.jpg

The red wire is the illumination feed; it joins onto the rest of the illumination supplies for the Bora vents.  The black wire is the pin for the interior light.  It should be noted that this wire "follows" the output of the interior light, so if they're on, the black wire goes live too.

The wires follow down into the drivers footwell, where the red wire joins the Bora vent illumination feed.  The black wire passes through a diode (so that current can flow THROUGH it, but not back up to the light), and then onto the footwell lights.

Also attached to the footwell lights is an OEM 53 relay so that when the headlights are turned on, the relay triggers.  This, combined with an LED dimmer, puts the footwells on at half brightness. It means that the footwell lights are half brightness when the headlights are on, but when the interior light comes on, they go full brightness.  Cute, huh?

#15 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

Since I've got Auto headlights, I decided to put the sensor somewhere clever.

20151113_203225_zpsnoisrumj.jpg

Who knows that this plug is?

20151113_194917_zpsnvbtcpim.jpg

Took the OEM sunlight sensor and hollowed it out, then drilled a hole for the new sensor to go in.  A little glue later:

20151113_203149_zps6nuyncr6.jpg

Just as OE.  The plug goes into it, as it would at the factory, and the loom passes down to the Auto headlight box.

#16 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

I made it my mission that my air install should be as neat and tidy as it could be.  Therefore, I wanted everything put away as much as it could be:

20151031_164401_zps2vtcwd1q.jpg

You can see the sound deadening that I've applied to the boot floor.  It's also in the boot lid too, just to keep it quiet.  A final piece of MDF was created for the top to cover the compressor, and this had sound deadening applied to it too.

#17 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

I feel like I should probably document the engine build slightly too.

Bought a spare engine for £100.  Included all the ancilleries, loom, ECU, flywheel.  Sold the fly for £50 and the ECU for £70.  A profit engine, yay.

IMG_2654_zps00975684.jpg

Assembled with new bearings and cap bolts:

IMG_2656_zps1f6a4560.jpg

Pro honed:

IMG_2661_zps5fcc2a04.jpg

Gapped rings, because no-one likes a gappy ring.

IMG_2665_zps9104594a.jpg

Installed some pistons.  OEM FTW:

IMG_2666_zps22f7c171.jpg

Uno blocko:

IMG_2668_zps6150e4a6.jpg

IMG_2673_zps055e741c.jpg

Strapped on some bits:

IMG_2672_zpsfa076d34.jpg

And a head:

IMG_2674_zps99ce48eb.jpg

Dat filter doe:

IMG_2677_zpsdffc365c.jpg

Bought a K04-064 from eBay for the grand some of £250:

IMG_2652_zps9e61ff7e.jpg

IMG_2846_zpsbe336e3c.jpg

Used a gasket as a template:

IMG_2683_zps2a873c7b.jpg

Then checked for fitment:

IMG_2686_zps8e5e1e35.jpg

IMG_2684_zpse2fb2d0a.jpg

IMG_2846_zpsbe336e3c.jpg

Combined with a Passat oil feed line, OEM coolant feed and returns, the only thing it needed was an oil return.  I made this from some coolant hose and two K03 oil returns.  How pikey.

Mocked up a downpipe with some bends and some tacks:

IMG_2794_zpsc4934914.jpg

Then took it to a custom exhaust place in Glasgow (C&C) and got them to weld it up for £20.  Exhaust done.  Matches up to my cheap eGay special for £200.  Sounds meh.

Bought the worst daily clutch ever: a 4 paddle:

IMG_2853_zps1a40bd96.jpg

It's fine when you're moving, but juddery as feck when crawling/taking off.

#18 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10642 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Great read about the engine build! Proper building going on! 🏻

#19 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

I bought a Bentley key from eBay and proceeded to swap the gubbins from my original key into it.  This is the 4th Bentley key I've had (they get a tough life), and I've just burst my latest one.  

20151117_183121_zps9vil59s5.jpg

I decided that because it was a three button key, it should HAVE three buttons.  Most of you know that the MK4 keys only have 2 buttons as stock.

If you rip the key apart, you're left with the circuit board:

20151117_183114_zpssi8gcfas.jpg

Then, butcher a spare key that you have lying around.  I have 3 haha.  Take a button from one of these (they are ALL the same), and solder it to your board.  Gently does it, the pins are tiny.  A very small tip'd iron is recommended.

Once you've got the buttons on, close up the key, add a battery and test your handy work.  Mine worked out of the box, no coding changed at all, which I thought was weird.  Maybe I've got a good CCM.

#20 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

I fitted OEM footwell lights by cutting slots in the baseplate.  Fitted with LED's and tied them into the interior light (as documented above).  I wanted to have them at half-brightness when the headlights are on just like the newer Golf.

Problem is, attempting to get the resistance to get half the brightness is trial and error and I couldn't be bothered with it.  That, and absorbing half the wattage by resistor is wasteful. I bought a little LED dimmer switch for £2:

20151124_212831_zpsb675vmp2.jpg

Immediately tore it apart:

20151124_212850_zpsa7kvlnx6.jpg

Who knows what this is?:

20151125_182304_zpscqh8db9n.jpg

Compared the relay internals with the dimmer board:

20151125_182544_zpstmmoduoo.jpg

Hacked up the relay board so I've just got the spade terminals and pulled the screw terminals off the dimmer:

20151125_184957_zpsqjrk2rzk.jpg

Fits like an absolute glove.

Finished off the wiring, placed the board in and filled it with some padding to stop the board and closed it up:

20151125_213653_zpscdlyvdzz.jpg

Now have a dimmer switch mounted into a relay box, how cute.  Will get it mounted up this weekend.

#21 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

Got one of those squealing starters.

Stripped it all down:

20151122_110730_zpsvzngff6r.jpg

The solenoid was pretty scored up:

20151122_110737_zpsxjj7h3xy.jpg

Polished it in a drill:

20151122_115515_zps7y7pefoq.jpg

Painted up the casing:
20151122_120001_zpsy8eotqhl.jpg

Grease, etc.

20151122_112141_zpsmgzkrnra.jpg

Build it back up.  Still squealing.  Gave up.  Bought a new one.

#22 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Nice to see you have a thread here bud. Spot on work you've been doing too

#23 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

So I went to the Dub Side Christmas dinner for some scran.  Gave the car a quick wash! :)

IMG_5780_zps85ofrulj.jpg

IMG_5770_zps751tuwoc.jpg

Front bumper is starting to show signs of abuse already; got another one lined up.  

#24 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

I've been having various emails with Car Audio Security about my AirLift Performance V2 stuff not being up to scratch.  While it's not their fault, one of the leader lines leaked straight out the box.

The replaced it promptly though.  Next up, a month or two into ownership and the top mounts have started knocking their absolute nuts off.  I emailed them, confirmed it was top mounts and haven't heard back since.   :angry:

I verified that the mounts were tight before looking into it further.  The solid pillowball mount that comes "torqued" from factory was loose.

20151228_124034_zpsqdlzmuny.jpg

I had to hack up a spanner to drop into the top mount hole so when I loosened the top nut, the spanner would lock off against the inner of the strut.  What annoys me the most is I was told air would be reliable.

So far, it's not.  Why should I have to tear my 2.5k suspension apart to VERIFY its top mounts, before assembling it all, waiting on parts and THEN reassembling.

So, got the nut off with my little spanner and tightened up the mounts again.  Bleh.

#25 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

While I was messing with air, I bought some silicone moulding stuff.  My air controller is in the ash tray which fits perfectly.  Must've had MK4s in mind.  However, it could be pushed deeper into the ash tray if you pushed hard enough.

20151231_173725_zpsf85ldzmc.jpg

Made the worlds worst mould:

20151231_180712_zpscd6ejco6.jpg

But, it'll work good.

#26 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

While I was dealing with air, I thought I'd finish the boot too.  I bought some LED strips that you can cut into sections, as well as some 45 degree aluminium finishing strip (with an opaque front).

Slide the LEDs though the strip and glue down.  450mm of strip is perfect for one side, and I bought two.  How perfect.

20151203_193925_zps5iky523x.jpg

20151203_193920_zpsg1rcw6xv.jpg

20151203_193914_zpsfeh00mf9.jpg

Camera makes it look really bright, but it's not too bad.  No casting shadows over anything either.  Just lovely clean light.

#27 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

Everyone knows about the common MK4 fan problem.  Well, I thought mine had it.  The little fan worked all the time, but the big one didn't.  Even when it started to overheat, it wouldn't come on.

Small fan got faster.  I was convinced it was broken.

I was donated the resistors.  Got a small bit of sheet steel.  Made a CAD template.

20160101_193244_zpsaiywl19j.jpg

Cut it out with the angle grinder:

20160101_194037_zps8kudx7mi.jpg

Used the pillar drill to drill holes and rivet the resistors on:

20160102_143302_zpsaivcs0vz.jpg

Soldered up the cables.

Used OEM loom tape y0:

20160102_154223_zpsnzq2xmly.jpg

Ignore the paint.  I thought I'd paint it but it reacted so I removed what I could and lost interest.

Turns out, the big fan is just dead and doesn't do anything. Will replace when I replace the aircon compressor which is knocking.

#28 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

if you want a air con comp I have 2 laying about :)

#29 Aaronb1985

Aaronb1985

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Lancing West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

02aa509d129f89bfec23bf86c60d255d.jpg

Looks like you were 'attempting' one of these...
But no, it is a very good mod to do man, nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

It sure was!  My plate is a little smaller, but it fits just as nice.  It works as it should, but it turns out the small fan was already fine and its resistor hadn't blown yet.  The big fan is just dead.  Was a waste of time, but I guess it means its future-proofed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users