9 replies to this topic

#1 moggie93

moggie93

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

I'm going to change the thermostat this weekend as the heater seems cold but when pushing on it gets warmer. Temp gauge always reads normal..
What's the best way to change it on a bkd engine?

#2 moggie93

moggie93

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

Just noticed that there is a sensor on the thermostat housing.
Should I replace it while changing the thermostat?

#3 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3442 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

Thermostat shouldn't affect the heater as that's full flow, stat just affects flow to the rad

The temp sensor doesn't need changing unless faulty

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

#4 moggie93

moggie93

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

My reason for changing the thermostat is I think it's opening too early or possibly stuck open.. My communte from work is about 2 miles A road then onto the motorway. The heater is warm but nowhere near as warm as my tdi a4 was.Once I start pushing on with the revs up the heater seems so much warmer.The reason for changing the sensor,was I was in next to it..
Have you changed the thermostat on a bkd engine?

#5 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8418 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:28 AM

Stat absolutely affects coolant temp/heater.

It's the same coolant!

Normally you would only change the stat if the gauge was indicating low, but the gauge has a wide range indication for 90°C. Coolant can be anywhere between about 72°C and 95°C and still indicate 90 on the gauge. So it is possible the car is running below temp.

Buy a genuine stat.

:)

BKD is the 1.9PD like my mums car IIRC. Those diesels are very thermally efficient and are prone to off temp running. Just looked, this is the 2.0...

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#6 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3442 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

My reason for changing the thermostat is I think it's opening too early or possibly stuck open.. My communte from work is about 2 miles A road then onto the motorway. The heater is warm but nowhere near as warm as my tdi a4 was.Once I start pushing on with the revs up the heater seems so much warmer.The reason for changing the sensor,was I was in next to it..
Have you changed the thermostat on a bkd engine?

I've read this and NooNoo's post and think I could have explained better. The heater heat exchanger doesn't have any control on the water flow so it will reach the same temperature as the rest of the water in the cooling circuit.

If the thermostat is stuck open it will take a long time for the water to heat up and if you're not driving with much load on the engine it may be running cool. As Noo Noo mentioned the dash temp gauge is strongly biased toward the central 90C indication (speculation is it is not to worry the driver if its slightly above or below) even if the actual  is a few degrees either way

If changing the stat doesn't resolve the heater problem

Heres extracts from the VW repair manual for a BKD Touran

[attachment=15386:N19-10001 Touran BKD cooling system.png]

[attachment=15394:N19-10003 Touran BKD thermostat.png]

Removing

Note

Always renew seals and gaskets. –  Drain coolant → Chapter. –  Remove alternator →Rep. gr.27 –  Pull connector off radiator outlet coolant temperature sender -G83-. –  Pull coolant hose off connection.     –  Loosen securing bolts -4- of union -3- using T-bar and socket, 10 mm -3185- and remove using hexagon key extension, 5 mm -3249- and remove union -3- with thermostat -1-. –  Turn thermostat -1-1/4 turn (90 °) to left and remove from connection -3-. Installing Installation is carried out in the reverse order. When installing, note the following: –  Moisten new O-ring -2- with coolant. –  Insert thermostat -1- in union -3- and turn 1/4 turn (90 °) to right.

Note

The brace on the thermostat must be almost vertical. –  Fit union -3- with thermostat -1- into cylinder block.   –  Tighten securing bolts -4- using T-bar and socket, 10 mm -3185-. Specified torque: 15 Nm. –  Replenish coolant → Chapter.

Hope this helps

#7 moggie93

moggie93

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Massive thanks gerrywac. Thanks NooNoo.Hopefully it's an easy job and shouldn't take too long.

#8 Kyle_TDI

Kyle_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, did this cure the problem?

My heater is also noticeably warmer when under load?

When i'm at the lights on tickover its almost cold, as soon as i set off it gets warm again??

Kyle

#9 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts
  • telford
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

Just out of curiosity, did this cure the problem?

My heater is also noticeably warmer when under load?

When i'm at the lights on tickover its almost cold, as soon as i set off it gets warm again??

Kyle

Does the temp gauge sit at 90 all the time once it's warmed up? If it drops in traffic you need a new GENUINE thermostat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#10 robrs2

robrs2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:19 AM

Changed the stat on mine and made no difference. But i did find out that not having the A/C switched on stopes the aux heater working on the cooling system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users