795 replies to this topic

#781 daveangel09

daveangel09

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Thanks to Usher and Big Al for giving me some advice. It's all sorted now just needed a regass.

#782 pashymo

pashymo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my 1st post. I have this very problem with our 2001 V5 (170bhp/20v version).

Not being much of a mechanic myself I just had the local garage take a quick look and they replaced the burnt out fuse on top of the battery which has fixed the high speed function and will allow us to use the car in the interim w/o it overheating, but I'm guessing that if left like this it will just blow again or worse melt the fusebox. My local garage is telling me they think the low speed function is a problem with the control unit but they are just guessing this and having read this entire thread we all know it's much more likely to be the low speed resistors in the fans themselves.

I am not confident enough to try the resistor modification myself so I checked the price of replacement fans with our local VW dealer (Alan Day City) and they quoted me a total of £661 inc. VAT for both fans (!!!!) this is just for the parts, so with labour on top it will probably be close to £1k if we were to use VW to do the repair.

I have managed to source some replacement fans (new) on ebay from ATP Parts in germany. The manufacturer is: Q1-PART - They have a 3 year guarantee and cost me £174.10 inc. free shipping and a free 90 day returns policy. I paid an extra £37.90 to have 24hr courier delivery (which arrived on time). I now just have to find someone competent to fit them.

Anyway.......for anyone who is replacing fans this was the best / cheapest option I could find. I will let everyone know once fitted how they fair....

Cheers,

Pash

#783 2fast4ya

2fast4ya

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Ashford Kent England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi All maybe someone can help me out here!?
Ive had my mk4 golf 1.8t AUM gti 2003 since june this year & i have never heard or seen the main fan go on at all but the littler one has been on regular. Ive been in traffic jam just outside of London for an hour or so & the temp gauge has remained at halfway mark as normal with no over heating recently & it was a hot day aswell.
Is this normal or not ?

Cheerz Paul

#784 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

If anyone's looking after this thread, is there any chance of fixing the links on the first page? Or does anyone know how to modify them to get them to work?

Many thanks......

MKIV Golf TDI130BHP, Broken!

#785 six10

six10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Golf IV SDI 1.9 AQM 68PS

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hello,

i hope anyone still reads this....

I am almost sure i have the same problem with the resistor in my fan, but i have Golf IV SDI with no Aircon, this means only one large fan, and not two. So the wiring is a bit diffrent, which i found out only now, that i have purchased all the equipment for the resistor mod. So this is the picture of the actual wiring:

link to the hole pic:

http://shrani.si/f/N...ycF/dsc0005.jpg

dsc0005.jpg

As you can see, the upper module is the fan control module and there are 3 wires:

- brown, red/black and red/white

But there are only two wires coming out of the fan side, and those are:

- brown and red/black

Obviosly I have no electricity experience, but could someone please tell if the mod is possible on this edition of mkIV and how am I suppose to wire this???

I' ll wait for a couple of days and than i'll open a new topic in hopes of getting the answers. Thanks

#786 sipman

sipman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Philly
  • Golf IV V6 2motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hi, I did the resistor mod and now i've got a weird symptom.

Turn on a/c, fans come on.  They turn off after about 45 seconds.  No idea why. Compressor still runs but makes a BRRRRPPPP sound every so often. No sound while moving, just sitting in traffic.  it almost sounds like a pressure relief vavle releasing.   Could it be because the fans aren't on and it's 90 degrees farenheit here in the US?

I thought maybe my resistors are failing, but wouldn't one fail and the other fan still run?  If I shut car or a/c off, and then restart, i see the fans start again in low speed only to stop a short while later.  Any ideas?

#787 Gaz Hunter

Gaz Hunter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

hi, i got the bits and did this mod a month ago , to which i had no joy , it worked pretty much as it did before, the small fan dosnt work at all and the big one only seems to come on low speed every now and then not when a/c turned on. so i picked up a set from a breakers, have tested these and have high and low speed working as they should when you connect 12v+ to the relevant terminal, so have fitted these to the car today (no mod just normal wiring) , and they both come on when the engine is warm etc, but not come on at low speed when a/c is switched on , i dont see the point in fitting the mod at the minute (although it is all set up on the car ready) as clearly with the fans working both high and low speed , so im assuming i have a problem with the controller or relay unit that supplys the power to them when the a/c is switched on? , I am doing this with the air con on normal not econ so am doing everything as per instructions but i guess my symptoms are different? any light on this matter would be great, ive got both working on engine cooling and it will soon be non a/c time so there no rush! 

cheers

Gaz

#788 Rgm36

Rgm36

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hiya guys. My largest fan isn't working on low or high speed. The other fan is working on both. So am I right in thinking that the fan controller is therefore working and that the fan is likely to be burnt out, unless there is a problem in the wiring? If the fan is burnt out will it be fixable?

Any tips on removal and fixing gratefully received!

EDIT: I'm going to remove the bumper at the weekend so I can take the fan connectors off and check the resistance as per instructions here, haven't had the time tonight.....

MKIV Golf TDI130BHP, Broken!

#789 RoguePlank

RoguePlank

You're a lizard Harry.

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 901 posts
  • South Derbyshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

someone complained the link to the resistor fix guide may be broken so here it is:

http://website.lineo...mod/Repair.html

#790 RoguePlank

RoguePlank

You're a lizard Harry.

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 901 posts
  • South Derbyshire

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

someone complained the link to the resistor fix guide may be broken so here it is:

http://website.lineo...mod/Repair.html

#791 TIPOVTONG

TIPOVTONG

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • WSM
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hi folks,got a problem!

I did the resistor fix about a year ago,sorted!

about a month ago the alarm would go of for no reason and flatten the battery,so I started disconnecting the battery every time I stopped(and took a jump pack!)

problem ive  got now is my cooling fans wont turn off even with no key in,it just keeps going until it drains the battery!

this drains the battery and the car thinks the battery has been disconnected without the key in which sets the alarm off!!

Any advice would be helpful as they failed its MOT yesterday with this being one off the faults??

#792 Jays

Jays

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Golf IV V6 2motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hello All,

Just joined but been reading endless amounts of hours. Got to the point where I've confused myself on the this guide.

Problem I have is - Both Radiator fans don't work.

Car is a Golf 2.8 V6 4motion Mk4.

After diagnosing with the guide, found the 40 amp fuse on the battery box had gone, replaced this still not working. Went on to bridge the thermoswitch connector and got no hope there, none of the fans worked. I've checked the voltage at the 40 amp fuse on top of the battery and it's showing 12.7. I've tried checking the voltage at the fan connectors but not getting anything, checking the resistance to see if the resistors had also failed too.

Could this be a dodgy circuit? I'm thinking of doing the resistor guide but not sure this will work. The condenser on the AC doesn't kick in either and fuses in the car are good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#793 gafo

gafo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Howdy folks,I'm having issues with my fans not coming on ,I've read through loads of pages here,not all I'll admit .Anyway I have a 2002 v.w Sharan 2 litre petrol ATM engine code, it has aircon. heres the thing the aircon pipe is broken completely .When I turn on the engine and switch on aircon neither fan works ,I've checked the fuses and they seem ok ,changed thermoswitch,I've bridged the connector to the thermoswitch and that turns the fans on ,high speed i reckon .What else should I be checking or is it the resistor? Thanks Folks hope you can help

#794 fv1200

fv1200

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Bristol BS16 7AE
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:48 AM

Hiya guys. My largest fan isn't working on low or high speed. The other fan is working on both. So am I right in thinking that the fan controller is therefore working and that the fan is likely to be burnt out, unless there is a problem in the wiring? If the fan is burnt out will it be fixable?

Any tips on removal and fixing gratefully received!

EDIT: I'm going to remove the bumper at the weekend so I can take the fan connectors off and check the resistance as per instructions here, haven't had the time tonight.....

Did you manage to fix the large fan? i'm having the same problem.

Based in Bristol i can activate Auto-Windows with Fob - Miles to Empty - Lit Needles - Welcome Message - SKC Retrival - Key & Cluster Coding.You can find me HERE

VWGolfR32_zpsb6306885.jpg

#795 rickjw

rickjw

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Seaford - East Sussex

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

This is a very helpful write up, easy to follow for anyone with a test meter - Job done in under an hour - Thank you

#796 jamesm86

jamesm86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1444 posts
  • South Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

I have viewed three v6 4motions recently with the problem. 

The fans only pulse now and again onto high speed, If i were to buy the car will it just require the resistor mod or is it likely to have blown a fuse or anything else at this stage? 

I just want to know how much of a discount i can negotiate on the car 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users