#1 Rowley103

Rowley103

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Golf V S 1.4 75PS

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

I have a 2009 VW Golf GTI MK6 and its using much more oil than it used to do. It's recently had a engine rebuild due to my timing tensioner failing completely rebuilding the head, its had a new inlet cam, new VVT unit and new piston rings. Before it used about 1 litre of oil every 10,000 miles now its used around 4.5 litres in nearly 4000 miles since its been rebuilt. I am currently using Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive oil, I have also tried Castrol Edge 5W-30 and 5W-40. It seems to have calmed down slightly with the millers but not massively. The engine runs sweet as a nut its not smoking and sounds fine and does great MPG. The exhaust tips go sutty after not so long but I have been told this is normal on the GTIs. The garage has checked the engine over to find no leaks or anything major that could point towards the oil consumption. They have agreed to fully strip it down but I am wanting to try other measures before this happens. I have tried a engine oil additive to try and reduce it but this hasnt done anything. PCV valve could be a possible problem but there are other symtoms normally with this and my car is doing none of them to suggest its broken. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3156 posts
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

I'm a Mk5 Diesel man myself and the 1.9 in mine uses next to nothing between services but I've seen loads of posts that seem to confirm that the petrol TSI units have developed a bad reputation for oil consumption generally with many owners complaining.

I believe there have been quite a number of   incidents where dealers have carried out work under warranty for what they considered bad oil consumption without first checking with VW and had their costs rejected and they are required to run consumption logs to monitor use and gain head office approval before doing any warranty work.

From what I have read VW seem to consider that 1 litre per 1200miles is normal and they don't even consider claims below 15k miles and if this is true I am rather shocked.

What you say about your previous consumption suggests that yours hadn't been too bad but with the amount of work done (cam+ valves, rings not unusual for cambelt failure ) it will take several thousand miles to run in. As it is the consumption is excessive even using the VW criteria but it might take a few k yet so see how much this improves but I would hope it should return over time to something like previous.

Personally as your garage are currently being helpful and co-operative I would suggest you do nothing further (beyond checking and topping up with a VW approved spec oil) and let them carry out the strip down and any other work they see fit (including the PCV valve if they think fit as that can cause excessive consumption.

Hopefully they will resolve the matter but if not they might start becoming more difficult so I would suggest that you take some steps to safeguard yourself as far as possible and get some verifiable records in place of what has happened thus far, what action they are proposing  and future actions in case it all goes pear shaped.

I am not advocating getting into a paper war or even anything particularly formal but verbal exchanges and promises are not going to be any use so I suggest an initial letter and then perhaps e-mail and text messages to follow and to confirm any verbal exchanges of their proposal actions and promises and your expectations.

Hopefully it won't come to it but as the old boy scout motto goes "be prepared"

PS Is there any VW involvement at all, warrant, extended warranty, goodwill etc

#3 Rowley103

Rowley103

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Golf V S 1.4 75PS

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

The oil I am currently using seems to be one that alot of people use when oil consumption is quite high, I have ordered a PCV valve to see if that helps it a little, I am going to continue to run the car as normal keeping an eye on the consumption. If it continues I will get the garage to strip the car to see if they can find anything. The garage are been very cooperative. I hope
It does improve, it does seem to be improving as time goes on. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Ron Hagan

Ron Hagan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sheffield, England
  • Golf VI GT TSI 1.4 160PS

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hi, I'm new here and looking for an answer to the high oil consumtion, my engine was made (2012 1.4 TSI 160) the day after the crankcase breather (PCV) had a design change. The replacement is £69 so I'm going to do the easy bits first and clean out any gunge in all the associated pipes then change the valve, I'm not sure it is still called a PCV but the dealer has located the part. Has anyone actually managed to cure the excessive oils consumption?

Thanks in advance

#5 Rowley103

Rowley103

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Golf V S 1.4 75PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

Hi, I'm new here and looking for an answer to the high oil consumtion, my engine was made (2012 1.4 TSI 160) the day after the crankcase breather (PCV) had a design change. The replacement is £69 so I'm going to do the easy bits first and clean out any gunge in all the associated pipes then change the valve, I'm not sure it is still called a PCV but the dealer has located the part. Has anyone actually managed to cure the excessive oils consumption?
Thanks in advance

Yeah mine seems to have calmed down significantly. I ended up changing my PCV and this made a slight difference, but i also came accross a slight leak but was no where near significant enough for the amount of oil i was using. I ended up changing the oil for a service and i put Millers Nanodrive 5W-40 (which is meant to be good at decreasing oil consumption) in, liqi moli stop leak (for the leak) which was £15 and wynns stop smoke (which apparently decreses oil consumption) which was £5 and this actually seems to have cured it. It seems so much better it still uses a bit which these engines do but its not using as much as before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users