alexmastin

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Sunny Kent
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

HI, can anyone offer any advice please. On how to proceed .

My son has recently bought a 56 plate R 32 and has now received a ticket for driving in a bus lane.

That was in Scotland and we live in Kent.

I think the advert he purchased the car from displayed the number plate... I'm guessing that its been cloned on a similar car.

Thanks in advance Alex

2002 Anniversary tdi, Bora vents, sun glasses holders, coil overs, built in sat nav.. 2001 Audi TT 225 BAM engine, Anni wheels, rear seat delete.  2010  Black Audi A 3 quattro Sport back,winter pack, park assist front and rear.

th_2-7-1.jpg

#2 ypvs

ypvs

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • N Cambs
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

I'm not an expert but if it was me-

1 ask for photo evidence to see if the cars look alike (inc mods/stickers)

2 try to gather evidence of any time clock records/employer statements or appointments with witnesses to prove you were elsewhere at the time.

Experts here

https://www.citizens...se-was-driving/

#3 alexmastin

alexmastin

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Sunny Kent

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:39 PM

I'm not an expert but if it was me-

1 ask for photo evidence to see if the cars look alike (inc mods/stickers)

2 try to gather evidence of any time clock records/employer statements or appointments with witnesses to prove you were elsewhere at the time.

Experts here

https://www.citizens...se-was-driving/

Hi, thanks for that, he was with me and another on that day, the photo of the offence is in black and white and not clear, unfortunately.

He has a crime ref. No. now and it has been passed on to the fraud squad, I believe.

Bit worrying as its probably a stolen car that has his reg on it , so God knows what offences have been committed.

Distance from Gravesend to Scotland close to 500 miles and an 8 hour trip each way...

2002 Anniversary tdi, Bora vents, sun glasses holders, coil overs, built in sat nav.. 2001 Audi TT 225 BAM engine, Anni wheels, rear seat delete.  2010  Black Audi A 3 quattro Sport back,winter pack, park assist front and rear.

th_2-7-1.jpg

#4 alexmastin

alexmastin

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Sunny Kent

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Hi, thanks for that, he was with me and another on that day, the photo of the offence is in black and white and not clear, unfortunately.

He has a crime ref. No. now and it has been passed on to the fraud squad, I believe.

Bit worrying as its probably a stolen car that has his reg on it , so God knows what offences have been committed.

Distance from Gravesend to Scotland close to 500 miles and an 8 hour trip each way...

We have heard from the Kent Police, quite a good letter really, asking for photos of the number plates with the dealers name on it, he has been advised the he may now be stopped regularly and to keep a copy of the letter with him.

Why do people show their full registrations  in adverts when selling a car ?

th_2-7-1.jpg

#5 lukbenphi

lukbenphi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Bakewell
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

my dad had this years ago with an old motor bike, he was getting speeding and parking fines from around the gatwick heathrow area when he hadnt been to london in nearly 20 years,  turned out it was a courier that had cloned is plate to avoid parking speeding fines, had to send photos of the bike and it wasn't until he was able to prove that one of the fines occurred when he was at work in lutterworth with his clocking in card that the police took some action about it, in the end my dad changed his reg number on the bike to stop it   apparently it's quite common in big cities the courier will use the plate for 6 months then change it to try to avoid detection 

#6 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

my dad had this years ago with an old motor bike, he was getting speeding and parking fines from around the gatwick heathrow area when he hadnt been to london in nearly 20 years,  turned out it was a courier that had cloned is plate to avoid parking speeding fines, had to send photos of the bike and it wasn't until he was able to prove that one of the fines occurred when he was at work in lutterworth with his clocking in card that the police took some action about it, in the end my dad changed his reg number on the bike to stop it   apparently it's quite common in big cities the courier will use the plate for 6 months then change it to try to avoid detection 

It is getting even worse now that authorities rarely stop cars but use the number plate to check not just car and driver details but also insurance and road tax and that traffic offences are spotted on CCTV and dealt with by post without any driver contact.

It was always easy to eyeball a similar car locally but with on-line details and web-cams etc it' even easier and crims can get one from hundreds of miles away.

#7 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2604 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Good question and one of the reasons I blank out the number plates on any photos of my car on the build thread, just to try to reduce the chance of this happening.

r32%20rescue2_zpss0lccikh.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread                        

#8 Sarrienne

Sarrienne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Reading, UK
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

So potential buyers can run HPI checks?

That's what I'd be doing with it...

#9 Naybo

Naybo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Portsmouth
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

Check the insurance quote before committing to buy the car, that's what I've done in the past.
VAGitarian

#10 Paul Burgman

Paul Burgman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

You can also check previous MOTs, which give a good indication of how well or badly the car has been maintained

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

#11 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1216 posts
  • Aylesbury
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Someone actually swiped my plates off my focus parked outside a house on an estate in MK. Madness

'Never test the depth of the water with both feet'

#12 alexmastin

alexmastin

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Sunny Kent

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Just when you thought everything was going quiet.

The police have said they cannot trace the car, however when I took his car for an MOT today, it turns out it was mot ed in Scotland in January.

Why do people, even on forums insist on showing other peoples registrations !!!

I understand all of the members on here are honourable, however, why risk it ...

th_2-7-1.jpg

#13 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Just when you thought everything was going quiet.

The police have said they cannot trace the car, however when I took his car for an MOT today, it turns out it was mot ed in Scotland in January.

Why do people, even on forums insist on showing other peoples registrations !!!

I understand all of the members on here are honourable, however, why risk it ...

That seems a bit weird to me.If he's cloned the plate you would think he might go the whole hog and not bother with road tax, insurance and MOTand just rely on you as the proper owner keeping these in order.

Have you checked yourself for the reg on the MOT website and the Insurance record site?

#14 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

does seem very odd, mot should check the id of the car and unless that's been tampered with as well they should have noticed the chassis no didn't match the reg. I'm assuming here of course that you have the v5 and have checked that all the numbers tally. It's possible that the cloned car was sold on to an unsuspecting buyer and they've seen that the (your!) mot was due and took it in early where the garage didn't then check the car properly and notice that the chassis no was wrong or tampered with.

#15 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

it wouldn't surprise me that the police haven't traced the other car, they really couldn't care less unless it involves drugs, murder or speeding! Also if its in Scotland I cant imagine there's that many CCTV cameras or anpr compared to the rest of the UK.

#16 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1484 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

And that's a good thing! cctv I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic