35 replies to this topic

#1 180Turbo

180Turbo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

So we all know about the VW emissions issues, and apparently several thousand cars have been updated already (thinking of 1.2 and 2.0 TDI).

I've had my letter from VW/ DVLA asking for it to be taken in for its remap.

Has anyone here had this done to theirs yet, or know of anyone who has?

Just wondering what, if any, issues have cropped up since its 'fix'.

#2 Ian_TDI

Ian_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

I've had a couple of letters reminding me to book mine in for the mod.  One letter said it wouldn't effect economy of performance.

But what ever they say, I'd rather not get it mod'd.  I am happy with it as it is, and if it felt sluggish or the mpg seem less I'd be livid, and it would be impossible to prove if there was any degredation. So I'd just rather to leave well alone.  I don't think the mod affects emissions during normal driving, it just gives a realistic emission during test conditions.  but since everybody knows that, surely they can just factor it in when they take that measurement.  Please feel free to explain if I am wrong!

I read or heard somewhere that the mod is not compulsory.  The car is due for a service in a month, so I'll find out.  I've got  feeling they will just do it.

I wonder what happens to people who have paid £300 for engine tuning re-map.  They won't have that after the mod will they?

Ian

#3 180Turbo

180Turbo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

Yes i agree. Its not a compulsory recall that is about safety.

I imagine if you took it into a dealer they may do it without asking you. I dont use stealers now, just independent.

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

I've had a couple of letters reminding me to book mine in for the mod. One letter said it wouldn't effect economy of performance.
But what ever they say, I'd rather not get it mod'd. I am happy with it as it is, and if it felt sluggish or the mpg seem less I'd be livid, and it would be impossible to prove if there was any degredation. So I'd just rather to leave well alone. I don't think the mod affects emissions during normal driving, it just gives a realistic emission during test conditions. but since everybody knows that, surely they can just factor it in when they take that measurement. Please feel free to explain if I am wrong!

I read or heard somewhere that the mod is not compulsory. The car is due for a service in a month, so I'll find out. I've got feeling they will just do it.

I wonder what happens to people who have paid £300 for engine tuning re-map. They won't have that after the mod will they?

Ian

I can't remember which way round it was ( I've a Mk5 so not affected) but one was software only and the other hardware only, some sort of tube in the air intake from what I remember.

Other than VW getting a dogging for the slow pace of the recall I can't recall seeing any negatives in either performance or economy on the modded cars which were predicted by the nay sayers

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#5 Big Coffs

Big Coffs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

From a Skoda Forum member who had their car recalled:

I have had my Superb in for recall, my advice is dont do it my car is now flat as a fart, fuel economy 7mpg down, sluggish at motorway speeds, noticeable turbo lag, in short ruined a good car, anyone else have any experience of this. I am now awaiting a full diagnostic at mySskoda dealer ( which they wanted me to pay for, i refused of course) If the diagnostics prove nothing wrong then I have to take it up with Skoda UK. Help I want as much feedback as poss to confront Skoda with, many thanks Simon.

#6 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1737 posts
  • telford
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

There is no way the recall wouldn't affect mpg or performance or both, They would never invented the cheat software otherwise. Vw could not get thet level of performance while meeting emissions at that time.
I would never take my car in for the map if I had one, the new map has the egr open even more so that dirty inlet is going to get worse, power down, mpg down, I can't see an upside unless you work for green peace.
If you have a remap that will be gone, kiss goodbye to £200-300

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by doddy666, 23 October 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#7 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

I would never take my car in for the map i, I can't see an upside unless you work for green peace.

Nobody on here breathe air then?

#8 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

I can't help with the original question here but if I had an affected car I wouldn't be taking it in. When it comes to emissions people think only of what comes from the tail pipe. They forget that resources and energy are used during the manufacture of all these unnecessary parts and that these cars will now be burning more fuel. If 7mpg decrease us accurate then across the world that's going to be a significant about more fuel being consumed by vag cars for no reason.

I am not an eco warrior but it annoys me just how stupid the majority of these types are when they look at such a tiny picture of what's really going on!

#9 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

I personally work at a dealership and not a single person has complained of loss of power/economy from the software recall, yet to start on the hardware recalls though.

That skoda owner probably got a heavier pair of shoes or he's got issues elsewhere. Maybe even the placebo effect.

Owned far too many mkivs.

#10 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Also, the hardware recall is simply a inline piece of pipe with a MAF sensor type plastic grid in it, ever so slightly decreases air flow I guess?

#11 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

It's a flow straightener which improves the sensor reading accuracy. Most MAFs have them as standard to improve sensor readings. Doubt that's the fix.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#12 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

It's a flow straightener which improves the sensor reading accuracy. Most MAFs have them as standard to improve sensor readings. Doubt that's the fix.

Well its that + a software update ofcourse, not just the pipe.

#13 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

Performance/economy has to take a hit. You can't get low NOx without losing MPG/vice versa.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#14 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:00 PM

Performance/economy has to take a hit. You can't get low NOx without losing MPG/vice versa.

They will take a hit somewhere but the real issue is how much will it affect most Uk/European drivers in the infamous "Real-world" driving conditions. The VW cheat was developed for the US market and their far more rigorous NOx test (which some see as an attempt to keep small diesels out of the US market) than the then current Euro 5 which the engine passed with relative ease and had no need of the "cheat" to be operating

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#15 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

They will take a hit somewhere but the real issue is how much will it affect most Uk/European drivers in the infamous "Real-world" driving conditions. The VW cheat was developed for the US market and their far more rigorous NOx test (which some see as an attempt to keep small diesels out of the US market) than the then current Euro 5 which the engine passed with relative ease and had no need of the "cheat" to be operating

Sent from my GT-I8190N

I've just had a chat with one of our service advisors and he said that quite a few of the customers have actually felt and increase in power since the recall believe it or not, yes they may have taken a 1 or 2 mpg hit but no ones mentioned it yet.

#16 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well its that + a software update ofcourse, not just the pipe.

Is there actually a software revision, I had read that the 1.2 and 2.0 were software only and the 1.6 hardware only, the flow straightener mention above by adam-

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#17 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

Is there actually a software revision, I had read that the 1.2 and 2.0 were software only and the 1.6 hardware only, the flow straightener mention above by adam-

Sent from my GT-I8190N

Not sure mate, not looked into it too much, assumed there would be something along with the hardware

#18 AshOHFK

AshOHFK

Ash

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Cornwall
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

a50f84636e3a98d66045ba9cf4c1e7e4.jpgee9e8eb47a39a5876d55920f8e760fa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

a50f84636e3a98d66045ba9cf4c1e7e4.jpgee9e8eb47a39a5876d55920f8e760fa6.jpg

Thats what I remember seeing online several months ago as it looks very much like the front of the MAF unit on my Golf 5

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#20 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1737 posts
  • telford

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Nobody on here breathe air then?

The slight decrease in emissions from one brand of car would be less than people who live less than half a mile of a school actually walking there kids to school.
What about people who have 4 overseas holidays a year?
If everyone turned down there central heating 1 or 2 deg
Hey what do I know..

Edited by doddy666, 25 October 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#21 Ian_TDI

Ian_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Is there any way of telling of the mod has been carried out or not?

When I take my car to the local VW garage for service and MOT next month, I'll ask then NOT to do the mod.

But I only get to speak to the girl at reception.

What actually goes on in the work shop with the technicians with spanners and now OBDII interface is another matter.

I've got a feeling they will mod it anyway because it is what they "need" to do.

It may even be an automatic procedure that happens as soon as they plug in their equipment.

How can I tell if it is modded or not?

And yes, I will be paying attention to the performance and mpg if I find out they have modded it.

May be it is best not to take it to the VW garage!

I think my MK6, 2.0TDI140 just has a s/w mod, and no h/w required.

Now if they were to offer the mod + free little re-map giving +10BHP then I'd think about it!

#22 welder1

welder1

welder1

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • South East Kent
  • Jetta Sport 2.0 TDI CR 140PS DSG

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

VW Uk said it needed doing after sending me 6 letters in the beginning of this up evil . They then sent a letter saying it was not under recall and I Spoke to a technician who said if you have up date it will take off any mapping and you will not be able to remap again. I then decided to get my engine remapped halons with my DSG gearbox. After coming back off holiday yesterday I found a letter from VW saying it needs to into my local dealer for emissions update. Obviously I Will not take it in and the emmsions are all ok after remap anyway . Peter

#23 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Golf VI BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

Since the whole debacle in the US started, I've had x3 letters from VW / DVLA telling me that YES, my car will need 'fixed' but no date (that's for my old 60 plate, Mk6 1.6L TDI Bluemotion Hatch) had been set.
The 3rd letter came in the week I picked up my Estate replacement for my hatch, so called VW UK direct. They confirmed that it is the same engine & YES it will need done, but that once the paper trail reaches them on change of owners, etc. they'll be in touch sometime in mid to late 2017 !

301311.png

#24 pad_eee

pad_eee

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Ireland
  • Golf VI Match BlueMotion TechTDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

I've had mine done. It's a 2.0 so it was a software update only. I haven;t noticed any reduction in power or MPG, if anything, the car feels a little nippier which I'm quite happy with. 

#25 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

It was my understanding that the software "cheat" installed across the board was only needed to meet the much stricter US Diesel emissions. 

There were no issues with meeting the far less onerous EU/UK type approval Euro 5 test without any "cheat"so it doesn't surprise me you haven't noticed a difference. That's why there hasn't been any pan European government legal action taken against VW

#26 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Golf VI BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Well, the letter arrived (about a week before Christmas), asking me to drag my car's sorry ass to the dealership.

i've yet to book it in, as I want to get a few things done (Tyres & brakes checked / fluids topped up), as I'm fed up with the dealership sending me a 'survey' of my car in video format, of them 'advising' me that my wipers need replaced, or this or that needs done, because they recommended it.

I do 20k miles a year & having them telling you x2 times in a 12 month period that you wipers need replaced, because they're 'smearing' (even though they've been replaced, both times with BOSCH blades) tells me a lot more about the national chain of dealerships, than it does about their ability to tell me the fault was the state of my windscreen !

Anyway, my estate gets me 550 - 600 miles/tank & has done since I got it in August, so after 3 months of running it, I should be able to advise better / worse MPG figures, seeing as i was originally quoted 74MPG from them !

301311.png

#27 Wazzzer

Wazzzer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts
  • Isle of Wight
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

My dad has the naughty map/engine in his DSG A4 and will not be having the remap done. He didn't buy it new so didn't have the wool pulled over his eyes with regards to MPG and emissions. He is very happy with the way it drives and the fuel economy it gives so in his words "if it ain't broke..."

7907.jpg

#28 welder1

welder1

welder1

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • South East Kent
  • Jetta Sport 2.0 TDI CR 140PS DSG

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

My dad has the naughty map/engine in his DSG A4 and will not be having the remap done. He didn't buy it new so didn't have the wool pulled over his eyes with regards to MPG and emissions. He is very happy with the way it drives and the fuel economy it gives so in his words "if it ain't broke..."

Totally agree with your dads view.

#29 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3151 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

I remember when they first started with all the mpg bull back in the 1970's and it's continued since with additional emissions blurb added for good measure. All the "official" figures then were BS then not achievable by the real life motorist and nothing much has changed. My cars have never got close inuding my 07 Golf but I'm happy with it

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#30 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

I get more out of my pd100 than according to the service manual I should.

Also happy new year... Kinda boring this time

Edited by TomasLT, 01 January 2017 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users