Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Golf VI BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I bought a 59 plate (2010) Mk6 Estate in early September, following a 20 MPH insurance write-off crash in my Mk6 Hatchback.

The biggest difference other than the +20k Miles that the Estate had over my hatch, is that it has cruise control & front n rear parking sensors.

Anyway, getting back to the topic. In the last few weeks my indicators have been getting steadily worse at doing their job as directed.

I'm now at the stage where I'm using the soft indicate (x3 flashes), as when turning right, the dash & lights on the outside of the car are indicating I'm turning left.

I appreciate that it's the switch arrangement in the base of the stalk, but I was hoping that someone on here may have an idea on cost of the part (OE, as I doubt there are any aftermarket ones).

Additionally, I'd rather not get mugged £90/hr labour costs that my local VW dealership is charging, so was also hoping that there might be a 'how-to' knocking about. For info the car is currently at 95k miles, so I get the impression that the previous owner was a tad heavy handed, or over enthusiastic, indicating at every opportunity....

301311.png

#2 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts
  • Sunny Scotland

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Okay, it's been a while..

I've managed to avoid any crashes, although I've had a few horns tooted at me for indicating one way, then going the other !

But trivia aside, I managed to source a 2nd hand set of indicator stalks from e-Bay, for less than £40 (no idea what the OEM price is for brand new ones, but is gonna be over the £100 / Part number for the whole assembly is : 5K0 953 507 AH  - looks something like the image in the link).

http://g02.a.alicdn....rocco-Caddy.jpg

So now the fun begins...

I know that there are a few videos on youtube on how to replace a standard steering wheel for the GTI one, or one with additional controls, but of the x3 or 4 I looked at, they never got any further than showing how to remove the airbag, changing the wheel & mentioning the dreaded 'clock spring'.

So yet again, I'm looking for advice.

I appreciate that there's quite a bit of commonality between the Mk5 & 6 platforms, but the video I've watched of the Mk5 indicator stalk change out didn't help as it is a model that had the separate stalks, rather than a combined unit, so I'm not sure if copying the bloke with sticky tape all over the clock spring will help.

Being a bit green thumbed & new at this level of finagling with a car, I'm hoping to use the services of a close friend whose a qualified mechanic, but I know that he's not worked on many VW's...

Pray for me or give me your best comments ...

301311.png

#3 FLAPPERJACK76

FLAPPERJACK76

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

H

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#4 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts
  • Sunny Scotland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

H

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

..was there anything else ??

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

301311.png

#5 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts
  • Sunny Scotland

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

A bit of an update...

I recently pranged the beast, in a fit of anger, trying to park.

Stupid I know, but them's the joys of town centre parking on Friday afternoon, fighting for space (sure I've said similar in another thread on here...).

Moving on swiftly - As part of the 'repairs' I got the service manager at the body shop who were doing my insurance funded repairs, to switch them out - WELL, that was the plan.

After them having my car for 4 weeks (a comedy of errors by the garage, which involved them having to respray the repairs, delaying me having the car for a week !)  I picked it up late in the day.

Up bright & early the next morning to goto work, it soon became obvious that they hadn't been changed. A call to the garage (once they'd opened) & a return call an hour later confirmed that YES, they hadn't been fitted, as the car was cleared before it was repaired (with said cleaner removing the parts & putting them 'somewhere safe').

I hung back for a few days & then arranged for them to be fitted after I'd finished work for the day, having been assured it was a 1 hour MAX task.

The day in question arrived & I settled down in the garage waiting room, cold drink in hand, car magazine open, being read from cover to cover. 20 minutes in & the service manager takes me to one side to explain that the parts don't fit ! (AH ! The joys of eBay !).

I then had a chat with the mechanic in question, who suggested taking the internals apart from both units & switching them out, as it was effectively a cam & a spring that had gone in my old one. One hour later, I left, smile on my face, as my indicators functioned perfectly...

A few days later however (on the way home from work), a muppet in a Corsa decided that I was invisible on a round-about.

While braking to avoid the loon, I attempted to use the horn, hitting & holding the centre of the steering wheel firmly, for a prolonged period.

Nothing / Nada / Silence !

No matter how hard I thumped it / whichever way I pressed or pushed down on it, no noise came from the front of the car.

Being close to the garage, I rolled in & explained my predicament. An hour & a half later, I left, tooting merrily on the horn, waving goodbye.

That was 2 weeks ago & was the last time the car horn made any sound.

However, today (after 2 more separate attempts by the garage to fix it & failing miserably), the reasoning was found. On the underside of the steering column (just below the ignition barrel), there's  a PCB. Said card is at most 4 by 3 inches & on one end of it the are x4 pins that connect into 'a socket' which is on the edges of an internal plastic framework that all the bots, bobs, doo-dah's & other stuff attach to, before being closed in by the steering column cowlings On the other end is a small yellow connector socket & a larger black connector socket. X2 of the x4 pins are responsible for the horn & strangely enough, they've both snapped off the PCB (still lodged in the socket).

On examination of the card, there's no sticky label with a part number, just a number that is etched into the cards' ribbon framework of connections (which reads : 15462 0 03 1 9:: ELEC5K, across x4 lines of text).

20170616_1351321_zpsg2udgo1e.jpg

The garage claims no responsibility for it, as the task they attempted was on the TOP side of the steering column, & which technically wasn't part of the bodywork repair costs.

I'm now contacting salvage yards on e-Bay to source the PCB, as locally it seems like most cars that are written off & have been registered between 2008 & now are being sold onto recycling facilities South of Hadrian's wall (the repair garage 'agreed' with this comment, based on anecdotal evidence).

The only benefit to come out of today was that while my car was in bits & the finer technicalities of what was wrong was being explained, I manged to get a few pics of the part number for my indicator / wiper stalk assembly, as the malfunctioning direction aspect seems to have returned !

FYI - Part number are as follows :

Whole stalk assembly - 1K0 953 503 JH

Indicator section - 1K0 953 513 G
Wiper  Section - 1K0 953 519 J
Air bag slip-ring - 1K0 959 653 C

20170616_1350081_zpswke27d3d.jpg

FINALLY - Remember this is for a 2009 1.6 TDI Bluemotion estate, that has cruise control !

301311.png

#6 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts
  • Sunny Scotland

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

More of an update..

Visited my local branch of the chain of garages that have been 'assisting' in the repairs to my golf (& I use the phrase 'assist' very loosely). After trawling ebay & pestering the half dozen or so breakers yards that are advertising that they're breaking a Mk6 Estates, I've had to realise that there aren't that many cars to be had for parts & that without part numbers, many breakers won't play ball.

So went in & asked for part numbers & prices from the VW dealership.

The wiper stalk assembly, based on my part number, is £94.87 +VAT

The card is actually listed as " Electronic module for steering column, combination switch " & has the part number 1K0 953 549 CD.

The downside - they want £272.17 + VAT for it !

So back to ebay to see if I can source a 2nd hand one. I have seen that there are cheap Chinese copies for about £50...

301311.png

#7 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3437 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

The 1KO start of the parts numbers indicates the parts were originally for the Mk5 platform so likely carried over to the Mk6. The 6 was effectively a revised 5 not an entirely new model

Worth looking at yards with Mk5's (2004-2008) as a potential source

Sent from my GT-I8190N

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bandit127