Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Golf VI BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I bought a 59 plate (2010) Mk6 Estate in early September, following a 20 MPH insurance write-off crash in my Mk6 Hatchback.

The biggest difference other than the +20k Miles that the Estate had over my hatch, is that it has cruise control & front n rear parking sensors.

Anyway, getting back to the topic. In the last few weeks my indicators have been getting steadily worse at doing their job as directed.

I'm now at the stage where I'm using the soft indicate (x3 flashes), as when turning right, the dash & lights on the outside of the car are indicating I'm turning left.

I appreciate that it's the switch arrangement in the base of the stalk, but I was hoping that someone on here may have an idea on cost of the part (OE, as I doubt there are any aftermarket ones).

Additionally, I'd rather not get mugged £90/hr labour costs that my local VW dealership is charging, so was also hoping that there might be a 'how-to' knocking about. For info the car is currently at 95k miles, so I get the impression that the previous owner was a tad heavy handed, or over enthusiastic, indicating at every opportunity....

301311.png

#2 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Golf VI BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Okay, it's been a while..

I've managed to avoid any crashes, although I've had a few horns tooted at me for indicating one way, then going the other !

But trivia aside, I managed to source a 2nd hand set of indicator stalks from e-Bay, for less than £40 (no idea what the OEM price is for brand new ones, but is gonna be over the £100 / Part number for the whole assembly is : 5K0 953 507 AH  - looks something like the image in the link).

http://g02.a.alicdn....rocco-Caddy.jpg

So now the fun begins...

I know that there are a few videos on youtube on how to replace a standard steering wheel for the GTI one, or one with additional controls, but of the x3 or 4 I looked at, they never got any further than showing how to remove the airbag, changing the wheel & mentioning the dreaded 'clock spring'.

So yet again, I'm looking for advice.

I appreciate that there's quite a bit of commonality between the Mk5 & 6 platforms, but the video I've watched of the Mk5 indicator stalk change out didn't help as it is a model that had the separate stalks, rather than a combined unit, so I'm not sure if copying the bloke with sticky tape all over the clock spring will help.

Being a bit green thumbed & new at this level of finagling with a car, I'm hoping to use the services of a close friend whose a qualified mechanic, but I know that he's not worked on many VW's...

Pray for me or give me your best comments ...

301311.png

#3 FLAPPERJACK76

FLAPPERJACK76

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

H

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#4 Mmalkie

Mmalkie