• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hmp123

hmp123

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

problem started other day in the wifes car, car started roughly and struggled to get above 2k revs and chucked a load of black smoke out the back but eventuallty punched through the revs and felt like it cleared a bloackage.  DPF light and coil came on.  So took it for a blast @ 2k revs to clear the light.  She stalled the car few days later and it failed to start, eventually got it to start later assuming it was flooded.  struggled and dipped revs a bit but carried on seemed ok.  Car stalled again today and managed to get it to start again and punched through the 2k revs with smoke again but not dpf light this time.  Road side assistance came and he seems to think it could be the turbo seizing, but i think it could be EGR.  Any thoughts? or similar issues?

#2 grit

grit

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • herts
  • Golf VI SE TSI 1.4 122PS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

have a tsi myself but had similar problems some time ago with a mk4 I had at that time ending up spending £700 getting various things changed on the garage advice , all it was in the end was the air intake sensor so my advice if you haven't already done so is get a proper diagnostic done and that should pin point the problem good luck

grit

Grit 122 tsi

#3 hmp123

hmp123

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

diagnositc wasnt showing any fault codes from the green flag, probably due to mechanical failure.  personally sound slike EGR to me and not turbo

#4 Big Coffs

Big Coffs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

Easy to check the turbo if you can get to the VNT actuator.

There will be a metal connection to the turbo from a vacuum operated diaphragm (look for rubber pipe going to a 3-4" dia metal cylinder and a 4" or so metal rod underneath it going to the turbo).

This is the VNT actuator, if you can get to it then get a finger or thumb under the end of the rod and try to move it upwards. It should move about 0,75 - 1" with minimal force.

If it's really hard to move then the vanes in the turbo are gunked up with carbon and need cleaning.

If it moves OK then it's probably your EGR causing the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users