Photo

GT-S 170 tdi smelly exhaust, need some advice before i take it to VW.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 170PS DSG

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hello. I have had the car about 3 months and it drives ok, plenty of power. It starts ok, slightly hesitant on very cold start up which means you hold the key in start a fraction longer, no big issue, that could be battery. Once it fires its steady enough, revs fine and the rpm needle is glued steady. Its the smell of the exhaust that is driving me crazy!!! I understand that diesels smell noticably different to petrol; Lets say engine was running and you was messing with the boot you should tell the difference between petrol and diesel because diesel is heaver etc; But this smell is quite bad, you can notice it when stationary if the wind is blowing towards the drivers window if you have it open etc. What is the smell? Is it burning oil, is it some kind of dpf issue? Has anybody else suffered this smell? It is not black smoke, not blue, just smelly, not normal for a diesel car and ive drove quite a few. Im taking it to VW for a major service and need some ideas to throw at the garage because i need it fixing or considering selling the car. In the summer i like my windows down and with this smell it just wouldn't work...help please.

#2 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

Could just be blowing from the flex under the bulkhead?

could be blowing from the manifold.

could be leaking oil out of the turbo/manni and burning it on the back of the block.

good thing is its cold atm so if you get on the floor and shine a torch under the car at the exhaust you should be able to see if its leaking anywhere.

(with the car running ;) )

Could be just needing a cabin filter change.. if it smells eggy ive been told that might be headgasket failure.

Edited by Elek, 20 December 2016 - 04:11 PM.

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#3 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi, Ive revved it up and then immediately opened the bonnet and smelt nothing, im assuming that there isnt a leak because of that. I wouldnt describe the smell as eggy, more like a light oil smell? I hope its not the head gasket id need a mortgage! I think lesson learned already with this car. Its a fast VW Diesel and service history (full) from VW is essential, so im paying the price now i guess. 

#4 skene

skene

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Brechin NE Scotland
  • Golf V Plus Sport 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Mines is decatted and it bloody stinks, that's just how it smells. It smelt before I had it decatted and to be honest if you've been used to petrols it'll take a while to get used to.

#5 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Diesels exhaust stink, it's worse in this cold weather for sure. Both my 1.9tdi and 2.0 TDI vw smell the same in this weather . Wind up the windows!

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#6 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Cheers guys. I guess i will get the full report from vw when they get to see it. Might be my first and last diesel to be honest. Its fast and drives nice but im a window down kind of bloke....I swear mine smells worst than most ive drove before :(

#7 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, I don't know, your catalysts are chinese or something, with a cat you can barely smell smelly fumes right from the exhaust. Without it, there's no smelly smell at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 doberman

doberman

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • warwickshire
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 170PS

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Wezz, I have the same motor, I think you'll find that the cause is the DPF, it does smell pretty

foul when your idling. this may be coincidence, but I recently used Rhino diesel additive

it didn;t make any difference to the smooth running, or mpg, but in the few months of use

I didn't notice any foul smell. so try using an additive in your fuel. worth a try.

#9 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Cheers Doberman. I bumped into another 170 driver at the petrol station this week. He had his dpf removed and i asked him to rev it to see if the smell was there, he did and no smell; Plenty of black soot but no smell. I also have a starting issue whereby the first start is a bit of an effort, but after that no problems whatsoever. Also i think my DMF is noisy etc, im not impressed with the durability to be honest , but i cant just sell the car, i will at least try to get the issues sorted out, thanks :)

#10 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Not sure about the comments about cats helping with the smell .

My 2008 jetta TDI 2.0 has cats, as does the 2002 TDI pd1.9 fabia , both stink in the cold. Diesels just stink

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#11 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

This is an oil smell, not severe but noticeable. Mpg is ok, performance is ok, you cant see blue or black smoke from the exhaust; But the smell is not typical of a well running, modern diesel. Id say its an injector/seal/turbo leak, slight oil leak somewhere. How do your cars start in say -2 to 5 degrees, first start is laboured.

#12 Rudedog

Rudedog

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Kent
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS DSG

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

I've had mine since new ('06), no smoke or smells, just vapour when cold, all as standard.

Good fuel and a hot engine should burn cleanly with minimal residue (for a diesel!), unfortunately being inside the car means I've no idea how it smells.

5 door, Sage metallic green, Grand Prix alloys, Winter pack, Folding mirrors & extra storage.

#13 doberman

doberman

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • warwickshire

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

Wezz TA.

The whole point of the dpf is to eliminate any soot particles escaping into the atmosphere.Thats why theres no smoke,

The particles are then burned off at high speed when your on the motorway, I believe its a mixture of soot and  diesel that

creates the smell. also the rough idle on start up is very common on this model,Someone on here claimed it was caused by

a lack of fuel pressure in the system, and that it was caused by the fuel pump allowing the fuel to return to the tank , but he

never answered any posts to confirm it.I suffer a lot of the same issues, but it drives like a train and i love it, don't be to

concerned enjoy it they're a great motor. Regards.

#14 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

The smell is to the point that when stationary, if the wind is blowing towards the front of the car you can smell it through the heater, its not running right. Thanks for the words of encouragement Doberman, appreciated my friend.

#15 doberman

doberman

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • warwickshire

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

The smell is to the point that when stationary, if the wind is blowing towards the front of the car you can smell it through the heater, its not running right. Thanks for the words of encouragement Doberman, appreciated my friend.

Hi Wezz, youv'e mentioned a couple of times that it's not running right, but I think you'll find it is, there is nothing wrong, its part and parcel of this model with the dpf,

a friend of mine is a tech/fitter at VW and he's explained it to me. My motor is an 08 plate and has had the dpf replaced by the previuos owner and it still smells.

You never know, a trial with a fuel aditive may eliminate the issue.. Regards.

#16 vetrox

vetrox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Dover, Kent
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

IMO a modern diesel shouldnt smell when your in the cabin. The only diesel i've owned that was stock and i could smell when sitting in the drivers seat is my 1994 diesel pajero and even then i wouldnt say its bad

Although its hard to know how bad it smells over the internet (vr is making great strides so its only a matter of time till we have virtual smelling devices) but i would say something is amiss if you can smell it from the cabin with the window down. Possible dpf issue maybe?

Terra clean reps can do a dpf cleanout which i've had great succcess with.

#17 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

If anyone is in the Midlands who wants to meet up...I sniff yours and you sniff mine???? ;0 But seriously , yeah i cannot imagine it rolled out the factory like this. Its being booked in the week after next, hopefully VW can work their magic?

#18 doberman

doberman

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • warwickshire

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

If anyone is in the Midlands who wants to meet up...I sniff yours and you sniff mine???? ;0 But seriously , yeah i cannot imagine it rolled out the factory like this. Its being booked in the week after next, hopefully VW can work their magic?

Wezz. if your going to a VW dealership, be prepared to have your wallet streched. and please let us know how you get on. Regards.

#19 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Doberman i share your feeling about VW prices. I think the problem with my car is lack of VW servicing though. The cam belt was done by an independent last year, maybe the timing is off and thats why the running isnt right etc, the list goes on. I just want it done and done right. For anybody reading this, thinking of buying a mk5/6 without full VW history, i would tread very carefully. I have set aside a grand, hope its enough as i do love the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users