danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've just got myself a 2007 Golf FSI from a private sale and after having it safety inspected by Halfords they've handed me over an 850 pounds plus worth of work that needs doing to make it Safe, or as they say.

What they've listed down are the Front and back brake discs and pads along with the rear calipers - this work alone is expecting to cost me around 650 pounds...

Now i'm confused whether its worth dishing out 25% of the overall value of the car that i just literally payed to get it fixed OR should i just get some bits from a nearby breaker yard and then have them done at some local garage.

I'll probably buy the break pads, but I'm not sure for everyday usage the discs also need to be brand new?

Any help/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

#2 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3015 posts
  • Brexit

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

after having it safety inspected by Halfords ?  Jesus christ i wouldn't let them touch / service a skate board  :whistle: 

Any help/advice/recommendations would be appreciated ?

Yes, take it to a real garage  :Y: 

MK4 Golf is the graveyard of Ambition  :D

#3 Big Coffs

Big Coffs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

Do you really want to skimp on safety?

FFS don't use Halfrauds but have a look on ebay. You can get new discs and pads way cheaper than you were quoted. Rear calipers can be found there also then just find a decent local garage to fit them all.

Probably under £400 all in.

#4 Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1256 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Council-run MOT centre - independent and will tell you what's safe and not.

#5 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for that guys, I think all of what you are saying makes sense. Is there an easy way for me to get the part numbers for my car?

I was reading on eBay that it's compatibility check wasn't reliable and that there were different specifications of break discs, I'm guessing the same is true for rear calipers and pads.

My car is a 2007 Golf fsi.

Alright, Instead of being a lazy ars, this is what I've found - and you guys were bang on when it comes to prices, a local parts dealer quoted me 300 quid and i found these on ebay:

Discs & Pads Set: 77 Pounds

Rear Calipers: 50 Pounds

Maybe a last stupid question: Why do calipers look different? (Annotated as Type 1 & 2 in the image). Are these just two different viewing angles of the same thing?

2j27x1v.png

#6 GSF Car Parts

GSF Car Parts

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 197 posts
  • Nationwide
  • Other Models

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for that guys, I think all of what you are saying makes sense. Is there an easy way for me to get the part numbers for my car?

I was reading on eBay that it's compatibility check wasn't reliable and that there were different specifications of break discs, I'm guessing the same is true for rear calipers and pads.

My car is a 2007 Golf fsi.

Alright, Instead of being a lazy ars, this is what I've found - and you guys were bang on when it comes to prices, a local parts dealer quoted me 300 quid and i found these on ebay:

Discs & Pads Set: 77 Pounds

Rear Calipers: 50 Pounds

Maybe a last stupid question: Why do calipers look different? (Annotated as Type 1 & 2 in the image). Are these just two different viewing angles of the same thing?

2j27x1v.png

Hi,

There is a number of different options within the braking system on VAG vehicles, this is catalogued under a 'PR code'.
You are best contacting a supplier to advise you of the correct items.

Prices for new/recon calipers are around the £50-70 mark, rear pads £15.00 max, front pads £20-30, rear discs £25-38 and front discs are around £36-50.

Your parts bill could as little as £145.00 (approx) and the book time only totals around 3 hours, with the average labour rate in Birmingham this should cost you no more than £300.00 in total with fitting, if of course the parts are actually needed!

Edited by GSF Car Parts, 22 December 2016 - 03:28 PM.

35% Discount For Club Members
Orders over £20 Only, FREE Delivery, Conditions Apply!

#7 Matt-T

Matt-T

- -

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

The biggest problem will be Halfrauds!

I took my car for an MOT with them once, only because i was working near the place on the day!

They failed it on corroded rear brake lines and incorrect colour sidelight bulbs and provided a quote of £150.00 to fix it!
When i arrived to collect the vehicle i asked them why it was no one had picked up on the chip in the headlight and CV boot which was split, the receptionist was unable to answer and refused to call the tester out to speak to me. 
I had the vehicle inspected by two independent garages who said the brake lines were fine and the side light bulbs were approved. Spoke to HO of Halfords and submitted the reports, they then apologised and told me to return to the centre on X date, on arrival someone took the mileage of the car and come back with my MOT document with an apology for their error.

I can only imagine they are targeted to make ££££ per month and can only presume they make up shortfalls through jobs like this! 
Most people will have issues with brakes fixed instantly for safety and won't question it, easy money!

#8 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

Firstly, thanks again everyone who's taken the time out to respond.

Matt, I've had similar experiences in the past I used them for 4 years (when i was working more than 70 hours a week and had absolutely no time on my hands to look around, I averaged 1K pounds in repairs annually...) Each year, my car's MOT would fail with them on one thing or the other. It was my laziness or ignorance that I never looked around and then paid for it...So Halfrauds is definitely out of the question. 

- maybe the only good thing that came out of my trip to Halfords is that they had me look at all of the discs too and to my untrained eye they did look very worn out they also showed me one of the rear calipers which had sized, I'll probably worry less if i get this all sorted in 1 shot.

Since the Mrs. is pressuring me into getting this sorted soon and we've got 3 trips up to Nuneaton Hospital coming up right after Christmas the same week, If i can get this sorted within the 300 pound mark I'd make an appointment immediately.

#9 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

GSF offered a good price IF you actually need those parts. If caliper seized you can fix it yourself for around 10€. You can do all of it in several hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3093 posts
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've just got myself a 2007 Golf FSI from a private sale and after having it safety inspected by Halfords they've handed me over an 850 pounds plus worth of work that needs doing to make it Safe, or as they say.

What they've listed down are the Front and back brake discs and pads along with the rear calipers - this work alone is expecting to cost me around 650 pounds...

Now i'm confused whether its worth dishing out 25% of the overall value of the car that i just literally payed to get it fixed OR should i just get some bits from a nearby breaker yard and then have them done at some local garage.

I'll probably buy the break pads, but I'm not sure for everyday usage the discs also need to be brand new?

Any help/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

I have an 07 Mk5 1.9Tdi and think it  highly  unlikely that there's that much wrong  with your car.

You don't say much about the car but if you bought it as a runner with an MOT I just cant see that much deteriorating in a short period of time.

Many people have commented about Halfords and whilst I don't like to generalise there are outlets that do seem to find problems with brakes in particular. I bought mine 6 years ago and shortly after had it into a VW main dealer for some warranty work and they told me  that it needed new discs and pads all round. I took it home and carried out my own inspection checking the specs of pad and disk thickness's against the items on the car and they were all fine. 30k miles and the discs are still fine and I changed the pads about 6 months ago.

I had a "sticky" calliper a couple of weeks ago and had to take it off the car for a check and ended up stripping it down, cleaning it and re-assembling (no parts needed) before re-fitting. All are original.

As already mentioned even if all the items (disks,pads,callipers) needed replacing you can get all new parts for less than £300

There are different options fitted and the best way to ensure you get the right parts is from the PR data (effectively the cars birth certificate produced when the car is built in the factory.

There is a sticker with this on the left of the boot floor (under the carpet) and also stuck in the front of the handbook

It looks like this

Attached File  N00-0494 Mk4 Data sticker.png   15.45KB   7 downloads

The brake fit is shown by the two arrows, just match the 3 letter code with the part suppliers catalogue

Wear limit for  pads is 2mm of pad material remaining. If you  post the brake codes I can tell you the disc wear thickness's

#11 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

GSF offered a good price IF you actually need those parts. If caliper seized you can fix it yourself for around 10€. You can do all of it in several hours.

Thanks but I don't think I'd be able to take up a DYI on account of a couple of factors:

1. I don't have the tools, nor have I done anything of this sort before.

2. I don't have the space to do this, I park my car in a communal parking area and I'd just not like to give the neighbours a reason to complain about.

If only GSF could fit these too  ^_^

You don't say much about the car but if you bought it as a runner with an MOT I just cant see that much deteriorating in a short period of time.

Wear limit for  pads is 2mm of pad material remaining. If you  post the brake codes I can tell you the disc wear thickness's

This was very insightful indeed, The MOT unfortunately is expiring in Jan'17 so I'm guessing this may come up as issues needing attention.

If I'm reading the code sticker correctly they indicate 1KD & 1ZF in the area's you specified.

Ref:

2num72f.png

#12 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

Well changing pads and discs are as easy as changing a wheel. Wouldn't take space or bother anyone. Would need only couple tools, 5€ worth.
Or you could find some local forum user who could be able to help.
Just trying to save some money.

#13 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3093 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

!KD rears and 1ZF fronts, exactly the same as my1.9Tdi.

Funnily enough I just bought a set of pads in from Euro Car Parts as they have a sale on at the moment, cost about £20 (32% off)

current promo up to 69% off valid another 5 days just enter xmas in the box in the checkout page

#14 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

Well changing pads and discs are as easy as changing a wheel. Wouldn't take space or bother anyone. Would need only couple tools, 5€ worth.
Or you could find some local forum user who could be able to help.
Just trying to save some money.

I guess its fear of the unknown for me and i don't want to bodge the only car i have specially when we need it for trips to the hospital, I'd rather get someone who knows what they are doing to either help or do it for me.

If someone from the forums can help out that'd be more than amazing :)

!KD rears and 1ZF fronts, exactly the same as my1.9Tdi.

Funnily enough I just bought a set of pads in from Euro Car Parts as they have a sale on at the moment, cost about £20 (32% off)

current promo up to 69% off valid another 5 days just enter xmas in the box in the checkout page

Definitely going to look into that - Thanks !

#15 GSF Car Parts

GSF Car Parts

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 197 posts
  • Nationwide
  • Other Models

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Thanks but I don't think I'd be able to take up a DYI on account of a couple of factors:

1. I don't have the tools, nor have I done anything of this sort before.

2. I don't have the space to do this, I park my car in a communal parking area and I'd just not like to give the neighbours a reason to complain about.

If only GSF could fit these too  ^_^

I'm sorry, we don't fit products!

I would suggest shopping around for the parts and labour if you are not able to complete the task yourself. 

Call a few garages and ask for the hourly rate, the average is £45.00. You should pay for no more than three hours labour for the tasks outlined above and allow yourself a little extra for issues that may arise. The parts spend for everything from us would be around £135-140 so you should come in under the £300 mark. Shop around and see what deals you can get!

GSF

#16 vetrox

vetrox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Dover, Kent
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

If only you lived down here. Would easily only cost you some beer for the labour ;)

#17 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

If only you lived down here. Would easily only cost you some beer for the labour ;)

Haha, I honestly feel that I owe a lot of you guys a round of beer already for all the guidance.

Some day I might actually take you up on that offer - As they say, teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry  :D

I'm sorry, we don't fit products!

I would suggest shopping around for the parts and labour if you are not able to complete the task yourself. 

Call a few garages and ask for the hourly rate, the average is £45.00. You should pay for no more than three hours labour for the tasks outlined above and allow yourself a little extra for issues that may arise. The parts spend for everything from us would be around £135-140 so you should come in under the £300 mark. Shop around and see what deals you can get!

GSF

I'm wondering excited to hear how the overall bill from GSF will still be around £150, with 2 rear calipers + discs and pads all around the bill on the cheapest of the cheap (on ebay) is totalling £49.99 x 2 (Calipers) + £76.94 (Discs & Pads) = £176.92.

Even when i tried using eurocarparts with their XMAS sale & deducting the caliper surcharge the total from there too still comes to £204.56.

Just the calipers on the GSF site seem to be £150 for 1  :mellow: - Am I missing something?

#18 GSF Car Parts

GSF Car Parts

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 197 posts
  • Nationwide
  • Other Models

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Haha, I honestly feel that I owe a lot of you guys a round of beer already for all the guidance.

Some day I might actually take you up on that offer - As they say, teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry  :D

I'm wondering excited to hear how the overall bill from GSF will still be around £150, with 2 rear calipers + discs and pads all around the bill on the cheapest of the cheap (on ebay) is totalling £49.99 x 2 (Calipers) + £76.94 (Discs & Pads) = £176.92.

Even when i tried using eurocarparts with their XMAS sale & deducting the caliper surcharge the total from there too still comes to £204.56.

Just the calipers on the GSF site seem to be £150 for 1  :mellow: - Am I missing something?

I must admit, i have made a slight error! I was pricing you on a single caliper! :rolleyes:  :doh: Too much Christmas excitement!

The quote is of course approximate as without full vehicle details, we are unsure on the exact items you need. i have worked on the most common disc/pad combination for your vehicle and based your price around that. Put our forum discount on top of that and you end up with some pretty decent pricing!

With two calipers you would be looking at £184.60.

If you opted for the re-con calipers as apposed to the new ones, the basket would come to around £161.45 when your surcharge is returned.

#19 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

I must admit, i have made a slight error! I was pricing you on a single caliper! :rolleyes:  :doh: Too much Christmas excitement!

The quote is of course approximate as without full vehicle details, we are unsure on the exact items you need. i have worked on the most common disc/pad combination for your vehicle and based your price around that. Put our forum discount on top of that and you end up with some pretty decent pricing!

With two calipers you would be looking at £184.60.

If you opted for the re-con calipers as apposed to the new ones, the basket would come to around £161.45 when your surcharge is returned.

That's completely Alright. I'm sold on the £161.45 offer as long as there are no mechanical risks with reconditioned parts and there's warranty.

What other car details do you need? 

Let me know of a number I can ring you guys on and I'll book the order, I know Fort Dunlop, its not too far from where I am, the one in Coventry is closest to me, I can come pick them up myself on Wednesday the 28th after Christmas.

#20 GSF Car Parts

GSF Car Parts

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 197 posts
  • Nationwide
  • Other Models

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

That's completely Alright. I'm sold on the £161.45 offer as long as there are no mechanical risks with reconditioned parts and there's warranty.

What other car details do you need? 

Let me know of a number I can ring you guys on and I'll book the order, I know Fort Dunlop, its not too far from where I am, I can come pick them up myself on Wednesday after Christmas.

Any unit with a surcharge from any supplier is a re-man unit, there is no mechanical risks and a 2 year warranty on them.

You will need to PM us the vehicle registration so i can match the parts for you. I will confirm everything with you on Wednesday morning and send you the quote reference for collection as i will have no access to the internal systems from home this weekend due to full shut down.

Thanks.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

#21 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

Any unit with a surcharge from any supplier is a re-man unit, there is no mechanical risks and a 2 year warranty on them.

You will need to PM us the vehicle registration so i can match the parts for you. I will confirm everything with you on Wednesday morning and send you the quote reference for collection as i will have no access to the internal systems from home this weekend due to full shut down.

Thanks.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Just sent you the details - Thanks for all your help everyone !

Have a fantastic Christmas!

#22 FLAPPERJACK76

FLAPPERJACK76

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Hmm dunno if I would want to pay someone with beer who was offering to change my brakes!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#23 vetrox

vetrox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Dover, Kent
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hmm dunno if I would want to pay someone with beer who was offering to change my brakes!

I've been paid a lot of beer for fixing cars in my time on this earth XD

#24 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3093 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

I've done lots of jobs for friends and family for beers or something other than cash the secret if beer is involved is of course to make the payment AFTER the job is done, not during!

#25 FLAPPERJACK76

FLAPPERJACK76

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

Lol. Where is the humour.

#26 vetrox

vetrox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Dover, Kent
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

I've done lots of jobs for friends and family for beers or something other than cash the secret if beer is involved is of course to make the payment AFTER the job is done, not during!

Nah, get rekt then have a go at doing it. Bleed nipples are hilarious when you've had one too many

#27 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

This should be a forum competition of some sort X amount of beers and a competition to do the same sort of service on (members own) car's to see who does it the quickest. And the car at the end of the day is still safe to drive!! 

- Record videos and upload for all to see !! haha!

#28 phshf

phshf

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

If you are still struggling with your brakes, and want a good garage, I know one on the Rugby side of Coventry that is really good, feel free to PM if you want more info.  Also, if you get stuck for parts Listers VW next to George Elliot is really good, they are always really helpful when I go there for parts.

#29 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

If you are still struggling with your brakes, and want a good garage, I know one on the Rugby side of Coventry that is really good, feel free to PM if you want more info.  Also, if you get stuck for parts Listers VW next to George Elliot is really good, they are always really helpful when I go there for parts.

Cheers for that, My plan is to try and get the guy who sold me the car to pay for the labor (for break & disk fitting) - Planning on calling him tomorrow to see if I can get this sorted out.

I'll drop you a PM in any case to get the contact details of the garage, would be good to get a referral.

So far the only garage that I've dealt with is Halfords, who to be honest, if is left to be my last resort, I'd be better off selling the car and riding a bicycle.. :mellow:

#30 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Good luck with the old owner. Spoilers: he won't give a shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users