#31 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Good luck with the old owner. Spoilers: he won't give a shoot.

I was thinking along the same lines before I called him  ^_^ but thankfully he's agreed to help me out with the fittings in January.

Update:

Just picked up the parts from GSF Car Parts Coventry.

I was just comparing the estimate i received from Halfords with the bill from GSF and although the quote from Halfords includes the cost to fit the bits, the difference is astounding...

- Just one last thing (on the refund for my old rear calipers) needs to be sorted out with GSF and I think I'll be good. Unless of course I hit another surprise in the next year with the seller!

#32 davemk

davemk

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 8600 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Is the previous owner fitting the parts or helping with the bill?

As for a garage, Midland VW are based in Norton Canes and highly recommended. Have used them personally.

uk-audis-banner2.gif

A3 Sport 2.0TDI 170

#33 Calico

Calico

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

GSF offered a good price IF you actually need those parts. If caliper seized you can fix it yourself for around 10€. You can do all of it in several hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixing a seized caliper for £10 with no mechanical knowledge is a sure way to end up with a huge bill a lot bigger than originally quoted, I guess your not offering your services for that amount?

#34 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Take the caliper off, take the piston out, judge, based on judgement change piston/clean same, change gummy parts, put it all back.
Gummy parts 4.30€ for one side; piston with gummy parts 9.50€ without a discount. Nor hard nor expensive.

No, I do it only for friends and beers and friendliness. And I'm not from uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TomasLT, 30 December 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#35 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3257 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

As Tomas says it is actually quite simple once you have the calliper off the car although I cant get anywhere close to his Euro prices. Best I can find in the UK on Ebay is £9.00 for the seal kit and £16 for seal and piston.

That said I've rebuilt 3 (out of 3 with issues) in the last 18 month that were sticking slightly or a bit difficult to wind back and none needed new seals as there was no damage/corrosion to the piston or bore. Just needed a clean up to remove deposits and rebuild (use clean brake fluid or rubber grease). If there are leaks or torn boots then a seal kit will be required.

If the piston has light corrosion without pitting it may be recoverable by using fine wire wool or a scotch pad/nylon scourer or a new piston fitted in more serious cases PROVIDED THE BORE IS OK.

The calliper body is aluminium in many cases so corrosion is less of an issue and similarly as the seal is fitted in the bore minor damage is acceptable.

A a prime safety  issue it hopefully goes without saying that if you have doubts in your ability don't try without help and if you are unsure of the condition get advice or replace parts or the unit

#36 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

Is the previous owner fitting the parts or helping with the bill?

As for a garage, Midland VW are based in Norton Canes and highly recommended. Have used them personally.

I've bought the parts already from GSF, The previous owner is helping me get the parts fit into my car - He says (for now) that he has a local garage that can do this and the MOT for me for free.

- MOT was part of the original deal i made when i bought it off him.

As Tomas says it is actually quite simple once you have the calliper off the car although I cant get anywhere close to his Euro prices. Best I can find in the UK on Ebay is £9.00 for the seal kit and £16 for seal and piston.

A a prime safety  issue it hopefully goes without saying that if you have doubts in your ability don't try without help and if you are unsure of the condition get advice or replace parts or the unit

As much as I honestly would love to try and do this myself I will honestly have no clue where to start, what tools to buy to start and what to do if i feel like screaming at the seagulls  :P ..

Maybe next time one of you guys that do this sort of stuff yourself (folks in the west midlands area) create a post on the forum and I can turn up with some munchies/drinks and just look over your shoulder, but I know this sort of thing isn't something most folks enjoy, so won't be holding my breath  :lol: !

I'll share more updates in the new year as things progress.

#37 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3257 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

Diy spanner twiddling isn't for everyone some do it from necessity to save some money or for the fun (!!???) or combinations.

Good to hear that you've got the parts and the guy who sold it with promises is helping out.

Hope it all works out

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#38 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Update/Closer:

TL; DR: Brakes discs, pads & Calipers done (weren't really needed, except for 1 rear that had seized) dished out another 100 to the garage to get service and missing panels fixed done.

Had my car patched up yesterday at the garage that my seller recommended. They did the brakes for me and guess what they said about the condition about my brakes....All 4 discs were fine, they did not need to be replaced...only 1 caliper had sized up so they were confused as to why I was asking for both the rear ones to be replaced...surprise surprise..

I had my face buried in my had's most of the time while the rest of the time was freezing my #$$ off..

- Apart from the brakes I had planned to get a couple of missing panels fixed (wheel arch liner & engine under tray, sourced from a breaker in Leicester) as well as getting it serviced, So guess the car is good to go for the remainder of this year.

Oh, and the seller asked me to dish out 100 pounds to the garage, cause apparently, I was asking for way more work to be done on it than originally estimated (panels and service etc.)

...To be fair to the guy that sold me the car, he was nice enough not to cross question the garage about if indeed the work I asked was really needed or not.

All in all, this whole experience has taught me some valuable lessons about car ownership & maintenance.

Thanks to everyone that contributed.

All that's left now is to have my old calipers returned to GSF for my deposit back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users