jonnyfatman

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts
  • Golf VI SE BlueMotion TDI 1.6 105PS

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi all,

Been a long time since I was on this forum. Cut my teeth on several different MKIVs, but now I've had to go the 'sensible family car' route and have a 1.6tdi BlueMotion MKVI estate.

The bonnet release cable has snapped at the release handle end. Does anyone know if this cable comes in several sections like the MKV? MKVI estate seems like a MK5 with a facelift so wondering if MKV parts might fit.

Can't find spares for the MKVI online anywhere. Failing this, I'll be ringing the local VW garage on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Jonny

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3255 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

It's similar to the Mk5 with a front and rear cable but the parts catalogue shows separate cable numbers for the 5 and 6. Where parts are carried over to another model or a Mark they usually keep the same model and part code (eg 1J1 Mk4, 1K1 Mk5 5K1 and whilst there are some common parts 45 and 6 the cable int one.

The rear cable for the Mk6 (hatch, Estate, 4MO) is

5K0823535

#3 jonnyfatman

jonnyfatman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the quick response. After you gave me the part number I did a bit more googling and found the attached (confusing) info.

Shows a different part number of 1K2823535A for RHD models.
Going to try and see if I can get to the cable today as they appear to have the part printed on the outer sheathing.

Attached Files

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3255 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

I checked your illustration you posted and it is definitely the same as the Mk5 one I looked up in ETKA (I looked up 2007 same as my Mk5) and there is another one for the MK6 that I used for comparison and the part number I quoted

Part numbers listed for the Mk6 are

front cable  22 5K2823531 RHS (there is another number for LHD

rear cable   27 5K08233535 (no lh/rh alternative)

If there are marking on the old cable you might see if the number is visible and cross check that way

I checked the ETKA model year listing for each part number and there are not common years which seems to confirm that they are different for Mk 5 and 6

#5 jonnyfatman

jonnyfatman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Ended up ordering the part from VW and you were exactly right. Part is indeed 5K0823535

#6 jonnyfatman

jonnyfatman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

And one more handy hint. Changed the cable over tonight.
After wasting loads of time taking the wheel liner out (hint, there's nothing of use in there), I taped some strong string to the old cable sheath in the footwell, then pulled it through into the engine bay.
Then tied string onto end of new cable nipple, wrapped some tape round to make it smooth, sprayed it with a bit of silicone to lube it, then pulled straight back thru into the foot well.

All is working as it should again. Phew!

#7 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3255 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Pleased to hear that you got it sorted. You might think to have a chech around the bonnet lock and latch and give them a lube or clean up and lube. They tend to corrode and seize partialy which puts strain on the cable and pull which causes them to fail or the lock sticks and either wont lock or unlock. Mine started not locking and ii had to remove it from the car remove a lot of rust and dried grease and relube it to get it working again. If it locks shut its a lot of grief to pop the bonnet to enable you to remove the lock. I ended up having to free the latch later as it was seizing but managex that in-situ

Sent from my GT-I8190N

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users