#1 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

What are you're guys' opinions on all the different mark gtis?

I can't decide which I like more... each one has its own value. Mk5 is the beggining of the newer generation, and the mk7 just looks beautiful.

I currently have a mk4 1.4 and would like to either get myself a scirroco or golf gti as my next car. It is very hard deciding which I like.

What would you say has most respect? between say mk3-mk7 (Not gonna say mk1 or 2 as they will clearly gain respect)

Cheers guys.

#2 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4648 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

MK6 > MK5 > MK7 > MK4 > MK2 > MK3.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#3 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Mk1>Mk7>Mk6>Mk2>Mk3 others doesn't make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Not what i expected... You vote a mk6 and a mk3 higher than the mk5? can I ask why?

#5 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4648 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

Cause he's wrong.

Although I agree the 6 is better than the 5, the 3 is the worst.  Even 4 > 3 IMO.

#6 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8261 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

mk7 > mk5 > mk6 > mk4 > mk1 > mk2 > mk3.

5 was a quantum leap. 6 was a halfway, 4=1=2 classics, mk3 = hopeless

mk7 gets my vote as it looks like they finished the mk6.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#7 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

mk7 > mk5 > mk6 > mk4 > mk1 > mk2 > mk3.

5 was a quantum leap. 6 was a halfway, 4=1=2 classics, mk3 = hopeless

mk7 gets my vote as it looks like they finished the mk6.

:Y:

my thoughts exactly :D

#8 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8261 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

I just can't stand the rear lights on the 6. They sliced them horizontally, they look like the designers said 'that'll do'.

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

What are you're guys' opinions on all the different mark gtis?
I can't decide which I like more... each one has its own value. Mk5 is the beggining of the newer generation, and the mk7 just looks beautiful.
I currently have a mk4 1.4 and would like to either get myself a scirroco or golf gti as my next car. It is very hard deciding which I like.
What would you say has most respect? between say mk3-mk7 (Not gonna say mk1 or 2 as they will clearly gain respect)
Cheers guys.

Dunno really how to answer the question "what has most respect "

Mk3 was a pile of cack. My dad's vr6 was a cool car when he got it new 1995, but it drove like crap no matter what people say . They are horrid dynamically .

Mk4 gti , I had a 2001 1.8t then a 2002 anniversary, the anniversary was a lovely car to own from new , but dynamically it was pants compared to the mk4 r32 I traded it in for.

When I drove my mates mk5 gti it felt nice and much better than mk4 standard gti!

Haven't driven a mk6, but I've driven my mates mk7 gti performance pack dsg , and it's so modern , quiet, soft ride , but can be a fun car at a press of the suspension button. It can be a luxury quiet motorway cruiser one minute , or a loud boy racery hotback the next . Quite possibly a great car for daily use .

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#10 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

I personally still love the mk4, yeah it didn't handle well in stock form or even look that great without some work. Once the mk4 has been played with a bit it's a great little car. it's also right at that age where electronics weren't too intrusive and everything was still nice and relatively simple. Just the right mix of mechanical and electrical control IMO.
I will give the mk5 chassis it's due it does handle well compared to the mk4 right out of the box.
I have a soft spot for the old mk2's but for me the older golfs were too basic (lack of half decent electronic fuel injection) and the newer ones have way too much to go wrong. Just think how much fun the mk7 will be when it hits 20 years old and the styling does absolutely nothing for me.
Maybe I'm just getting old and past it lol

Personally I'd rate them
mk4, mk2, mk5, mk1, mk6, mk7 and mk3

#11 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Exeter
  • Golf IV Match 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

I would say the Mk7, not just because its the newest golf but imo if you had to line all of the golf Gti's up excluding the Mk1 and 2 considering they created the GTI the creature comforts they come with as standard is nice without having to pay too much to those little bits like sat nav ect,

I'd then personally say the Mk6, the the Mk4, then Mk5,

So including the classics Mk7 (Mk1 and Mk2), Mk6, Mk4, Mk5 and then the Mk3. 

23uzi1z.jpg

#12 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Mk7, 6 they are nice, comes pretty good out of the box, basically because they're new. They will lose their vote with years like monke said.

Mk1 and mk2 (~) we're the first true little fun cars.

Mk5 is oversized, fat, round, to big stupid lights, seems like it was inflated. Think mk5 next to a mk1. It doesn't deserve a hot hatch name.
Mk4 is all those things except it's worse.

Mk3 a bit less and a bit more. It gets a vote because of the syncro. Love it. A bit of messing around and you point a car, it gets you there. This and same age quattro are the best.

#13 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3194 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

It doesnt make much sense people rating the mk6 far ahead of tne mk5 when the 6 is just a facelifted 5 same size and mechanicals largely the same

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#14 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8261 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Agreed, the 6 was a styling rework. The 7 being the final design that looks and drives well.

:)

#15 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15874 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

MK5>MK7>MK1>MK6>MK2>MK3

:-)

sigzort.jpg

#16 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

I know of a at least a couple of factors that polarise peoples opinions on cars:

- Modern looks or Character

- High Performance or Practicality as a daily driver

So the answer to your question is purely a personal preference, but I guess it doesn't hurt to quietly judge other folks tastes this way  ;).

lolol..

#17 ravenlunatic1964

ravenlunatic1964

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Hi all New on here . Got to be the mk 4 . Just Google that and click images . I mean how loved is the mk 4....how much time money and love have people spent on the pocket rocket . I have one gttdi 1:9 150 Hp . Been remapped too very fast . Leather interior . In reflex silver . Jesus I love my mk 4

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

#18 jaspalr

jaspalr

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

The mk4 gti is over rated, i still dont understand why they're so popular.

Mk3 was a waste of time. 

Mk5 and Mk6 are pretty much the same. 

My first choice would be the Mk1 then Mk7. 

#19 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts
  • Aylesbury
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

I know of a at least a couple of factors that polarise peoples opinions on cars:

- Modern looks or Character

- High Performance or Practicality as a daily driver

So the answer to your question is purely a personal preference, but I guess it doesn't hurt to quietly judge other folks tastes this way  ;).

lolol..

Kinda what I think. My Mk4 is the love of my life. It's sits there doing naff all looking a bit crap but underneath is all the hard work I've put in the hours learning and having fun, swearing, bleeding and tearing my hair out. I know that's not what OP asked but I have no respect for new shiny things, they're of no relevance to me. I had to google images of the MK6/7 they look 'snazzy'. The MK5 looks tubby and characterless the MK3 reminds me of my ex and I've never seen a nice one. My best mate had a MK2 1.6 driver I think and will always remind me of him and of course the MK1 is the Don. But that's all personal.... Not of any use. What was the question again? 

'Never test the depth of the water with both feet'

#20 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

Kinda what I think. My Mk4 is the love of my life. It's sits there doing naff all looking a bit crap but underneath is all the hard work I've put in the hours learning and having fun, swearing, bleeding and tearing my hair out. I know that's not what OP asked but I have no respect for new shiny things, they're of no relevance to me. I had to google images of the MK6/7 they look 'snazzy'. The MK5 looks tubby and characterless the MK3 reminds me of my ex and I've never seen a nice one. My best mate had a MK2 1.6 driver I think and will always remind me of him and of course the MK1 is the Don. But that's all personal.... Not of any use. What was the question again?

Pretty much how i feel, I love it, and i love everything i have done to it, i just wish it wasnt the LOWEST spec of the lot. Nothing wrong with the car, lovely 1.4, every time i drive my dad somewhere he says he loves the sound of it (With a sportex exhaust), Id happily invest more money into it, but as soon as i get a gti or some other high spec car pull up next to me at the lights, i know its game over, no point in even putting my foot down :( Which is why when in about a year or 2 when my insurance goes down, do i immedietly get the same again but 1.8t (or vr5/6), or do i get a mark 5 or 6 (or even 7 if the price is right) when ive saved up a little more, and wait for a bit. So many questions...

#21 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

The mk4 gti is over rated, i still dont understand why they're so popular.

Mk3 was a waste of time. 

Mk5 and Mk6 are pretty much the same. 

My first choice would be the Mk1 then Mk7. 

Not sure how you can say the mk4 is over rated when pretty much everywhere i look theres always someone slating it for being too heavy or too slow as a gti, I agree with the mark 5 and 6 however, i like the mark 5, but its too chubby and my god that horrible rear bumper plastic at the bottom, looks like its wearing a nappy or something stupid. And yeah mark 6 looks like they wanted to acheive the 7 but rushed it, i like the back, but the front looks weird... the grill looks too squished and at the same time too big, hard to explain... mark 7 to me is perfect, like they finished what they wanted with the 6.

#22 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 170PS DSG

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Get as newer car as you can. I wish i could afford a mk7 gti or gtd!!! DSG is where its at too, do not be put off by any negative comments, it is the future! My preference of mk for gti would be......7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and forget the mk1 and mk 2. I would find it so difficult to part with real cash for a 25-35 year old car, when i could get a descent mk6 with all the mod cons for the same money.

#23 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

...I had to google images of the MK6/7 they look 'snazzy'. The MK5 looks tubby and characterless the MK3 reminds me of my ex....

I lol'd harder than I probably should have  :lol-lol:

nice 1 mate!

#24 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

For me its mk4, mk6, mk1, mk7, mk5, mk3. Theres more to a car than just how fast it can go round corners or its on paper specs. personally im not a fan of the mk5s looks and the mk7 doesn't do much for me either. the mk4 in my opinion looks good, theres just something about its proportions. Plus they are dead easy to work on and modify and the iffy handling can be sorted with a few choice mods.

I think a lot of the problem with the mk4 gti was they tried to use the badge on the 2.0 or the na 1.8 which goes against what the badge was supposed to mean, as a result magazines grouped all gtis under the 2.0 slow umbrella and took great pleasure in jumping on the band wagon of slating the mk4 golf in general. I think there must have been something good about them for so many to have been sold and to still be popular today and still have a reasonably sized fan base who are happy to spend money and time 'playing with them'! 

Certainly i don't think theres many cars from the late 90s/early 2000s that have aged as well. 

#25 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8261 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Remember it was only the UK in Europe that put a GTI badge on the mk4 1.8NA and 2.0.

They were 'Highlines' in Europe.

When I collected mine from Siegen the German sales guys in the franchise were horrified to learn of the lesser engined UK GTIs.

BBS RXIIs were also standard on the European GTI. Mine was built as a European GTI with a 'GB replsecspacketen' for an additional 600DM IIRC.

:)

#26 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Just got back from a trip to VW Wolfsburg factory,  saw this whilst we were there:

20170108_113119_HDR_zpsewacjx9j.jpg

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#27 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4648 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Remember it was only the UK in Europe that put a GTI badge on the mk4 1.8NA and 2.0.

Jesus.  There is nothing GTI about an NA 1.8 in a MK4.

#28 Sky28

Sky28

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Honestly I absolutely hate new cars - I feel like the car is driving me and it's always sending/recording data to vw/merc/audi on our driving.

I also love the good old fashioned key start, and wind up windows along with no central locking. Call me weird, but for those reasons I place mine like this:
mk3>mk4>mk2>mk1>mk5>mk6>mk7.

I placed the mk4 so high up because I have one myself (though it's 1.6) and have to be bias

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users