Photo

Does a 2007 Golf 1.6 FSI need to have its timing/tooth belt changed?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

I've been wondering about it ever since i got this car of mine (bought not more than 3 weeks ago), TL, DR; Does a 2007 Golf 1.6 FSI need to have its timing/tooth belt changed?

So, I went through the VW service history on my car and I couldn't spot any service where it had its belt done, my car's got 97K miles (approaching 98) on the clock now, Could it be just a case of it not needing one at all or it being due now?

I've got an appointment for tomorrow with a garage where I'm having the brake discs & pads done on my car and I was thinking about using the same slot for getting my car serviced too (and maybe having the belt done if it needs one re-done now).

I've had a Golf 2005 1.9 SDI before and it definitely needed to have its done every 4 years or 40K miles (as i was told by the dealership).

Last thing i want to hear is the (catastrophic) rattle of death from this recent acquisition of mine..

Advice appreciated!

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3092 posts
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

The good news is there is no prescribed replacement interval for the 1.4 and 1,6 Petrol engines (120k miles on 2.0)

There is a visual inspection of the belt required after 60k mile and then every 20k. It is simple to carry out requiring only removal of the timing belt top cover (a couple of spring clips) to expose the belt and then turning the engine one rotation by hand

Procedure from VW Elsawin manual

Camshaft drive toothed belt: Check (4-cylinder petrol engines 1.4 l 55 kW and 1.6 l 75 kW)

Checking toothed belt condition – 

Remove upper toothed belt guard.     – 

By turning crankshaft one full turn, check toothed belt condition for:

t -A- Cracks, cross-sectional breaks, cracks (coating)

t -B- Side contact

t -C- Fraying of cord strands

t -D- Cracks (in teeth base)

t Layer separation (toothed belt body, draw strands)

t Surface cracks (synthetic coating)

t Traces of oil and grease

Note

If faults are found always renew toothed belt. This will avoid possible breakdowns or operating problems. The replacement of a toothed belt is a repair measure.

PS You got mugged by your dealer on the SDI. All Mk5 SDI's were 80k. The or 4 years was added later as another precaution

#3 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

The good news is there is no prescribed replacement interval for the 1.4 and 1,6 Petrol engines (120k miles on 2.0)

There is a visual inspection of the belt required after 60k mile and then every 20k. It is simple to carry out requiring only removal of the timing belt top cover (a couple of spring clips) to expose the belt and then turning the engine one rotation by hand

Procedure from VW Elsawin manual

Camshaft drive toothed belt: Check (4-cylinder petrol engines 1.4 l 55 kW and 1.6 l 75 kW)

Checking toothed belt condition – 

Remove upper toothed belt guard.     – 

By turning crankshaft one full turn, check toothed belt condition for:

t -A- Cracks, cross-sectional breaks, cracks (coating)

t -B- Side contact

t -C- Fraying of cord strands

t -D- Cracks (in teeth base)

t Layer separation (toothed belt body, draw strands)

t Surface cracks (synthetic coating)

t Traces of oil and grease

Note

If faults are found always renew toothed belt. This will avoid possible breakdowns or operating problems. The replacement of a toothed belt is a repair measure.

PS You got mugged by your dealer on the SDI. All Mk5 SDI's were 80k. The or 4 years was added later as another precaution

You sir are a legend, Appreciate the guidance - I think joining this forum has the best idea I've had in quite a while.

- To think that I believed I knew quite a bit about cars (as most of it based on what garages or dealerships recommended). :wacko:

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Isn't the 1.6 FSI a timing chain, not a belt ?

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#5 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

If it is someone should tell VW 'cause it means they wrote their Elsawin Workshop Repair manual wrong!

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#6 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hahaha cambelt it is then

#7 JellybeanGreen2

JellybeanGreen2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

If it is someone should tell VW 'cause it means they wrote their Elsawin Workshop Repair manual wrong!

Sent from my GT-I8190N

The MK5 S 1.6 FSI is indeed a timing chain. I had to have my tensioners replaced, one became faulty especially in the winter. When you start the car it should make a horrible rattle. Ordered the timing chain kit and just replaced the lot, all tensioners, timing chain etc.

#8 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

edit! The 1.4/6 are chain the 2.0 2.0t are belt. Seems to be a lot of confusion about it so not sure whether certain ages/engine codes had one or the other.

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

As I first thought then . Chain !

#10 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Got to hold my hand up and apologise for supplying some bum info  :angry:  but in mitigation the VW manual isn't that clear in the service section

In some respects we're all right as there are 1.4 and 1.6 lumps in the Mk5 that are belt driven engine codes BCA, BUD (1.4)
BSE, BSF, BGU, CCSA (1.6) just not the FSI's

Goes to show the importance of checking and providing things like engine codes and double checking whether your asking for info or supplying it ( in good faith) .

Good news in any case if you have a belt or chain 1.4 or 1.6  it isn't a service replacement just needs looking at if you have a problem

#11 danishbaka

danishbaka

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Rugby
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

Alright so my confusion and the lack of clarity available elsewhere is.. Sort of.. Justified.

But I'm glad that it's not something that was just overlooked by my cars previous owners.

Glad you guys took the time out to clear this for me once and for all.

Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users