#1 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

DSG owners , please share your thoughts and experiences.

Likes loathes , etc.

I've owned a dsg 140bhp diesel 2008 jetta sport for a year now, done just over 10,000 miles in it

I'm still not sold fully on dsg if I'm honest

There are times when it's great (on the move upshifts are very efficient for example)

But there are lots of times when it's just annoyingly frustrating, even with paddles fitted.

There doesn't seem to be constant predictably when pulling away from standstill, sometimes it's smooth, sometimes there's a lag, sometimes it thunks a bit as it feels the need to catch up.. it's just so unpredictable and therefore it makes what should be a relaxing drive actually a bit frustrating as you want the machine to do what you want and not like you're some learner driver.

There doesn't seem to be any low speed creep built it. However if you leave it in D but yank the handbrake up the car will edge forwards with massive enthusiasm , which is just bonkers because it doesn't move forwards with the same enthusiasm if you don't yank the handbrake . It just seems like there's absolutely no logic with the gearbox at all..

I've done the vagcom recalibration twice and it made things better for a while, low speed take up seems to be smoother , and certainly auto downshifts when coming to a stop are no longer clonky events.

Now I've driven my friends brand new 7 speed TDI bi turbo t5 van and that was better, but still felt hit and miss when setting off at the lights , as did his 2014 beetle 1.4 twin charged petrol (7 speed dsg).

Everyone goes on about how great dsg Cars are, but after a year and 10000 miles , I'm not 100% convinced .

They don't seem to have some of the benefits of a slush auto nor does they have the interaction or satisfaction of a good manual.

Everyone I jump into my manual 2002 fabia TDI it feels like a flaming breath of fresh air for town stop start nip and tuck driving .
I love driving my manaul 2003 r32 everytime, I never feel it would be better with a dsg box .

The jetta is nice , but dsg? I'm not 100% sold that it's as great as a lot of folks seem to make out ?

<a href="http://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#2 Big Coffs

Big Coffs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

I've had 2 DSG equipped cars and driven 4.

Pulling away from a standstill is spot on as is creeping in traffic. That's true of my previous new Octavia 2.0 TDI150 and my current Edition 30. So no dramas or issues with petrol or diesel 6 speed wet clutch boxes.

It's a very smooth drive but can be dim-witted at times and your economy does take a hit.

The diesel DSG combination isn't anywhere near as good as petrol DSG.

Even using paddles with a diesel it's still a bit slow and leggy. Keep the Edition 30 over 2k and the paddle gear changes and throttle response is instant...REALLY fun!

In summary: Lazy, easy to drive in traffic, utterly fantastic flooring it, waiting a second then ff'ing off without ever letting go of the steering wheel.

You have to remember it was the best auto gearbox of its age but there are considerably better alternatives now and that it compliments a petrol much better than a diesel.

#3 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Maybe it is a diesel thing then like you have said petrols are better with dsg

I did notice there is creep built in to the jetta tonight , I guess it's just softer to creep away than a conventional slush auto as you tend to hold those on the brakes..

I'm wondering hypothetically if I were to buy a golf r with all toys ticked, would I go for manaul or dsg. I think personally I prefer manual , it just feels more pleasing to change gear and be part of the action . DSG feels a bit computer gamey . I drove my mates new mk7 gti dsg , that had a remap and 320bhp plus . That felt a bit like ps3 , dunno I guess it's a personal preference?

#4 TWONK FEATURES

TWONK FEATURES

Royce

• Moderators
  • 6199 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

My mk5 gti is dsg and frankly jase, i wont ever buy a modern manual again.

Mine jolts as you pull away but thats when you stab the pedal. If you let it "bite" then it will pull away as wuickly and smoothly as ever. Maybe you dont feel that witha diesel version

#5 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4142 posts
  • Ashford, Kent
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

My MK5 R32 was DSG. Loved it. Perfect match to that engine.

#6 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15874 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

I like mine... its far from perfect though.

sigzort.jpg

#7 lamplighter

lamplighter

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Horsham West Sussex
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

Hi im new to dsg after upgrading from a mk4 manual gti  so im still getting used to the dsg on a gti , only got the car in November, but i do find it a bit laggy when pulling out of a junction trying not to hit the pedal to hard so i don't lurch as for economy i seem to be using more fuel than on my old mk4 which was brilliant on fuel.

But i have to give it a go for a while longer as im 8k into this car and just had a £700 repair bill  being run of the road and bending a few bits on the suspension.

i do like the mk5 nice and stiff and love the heated seats at the moment .

Lamps

#8 dopiaza

dopiaza

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2061 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS DSG

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

Interesting thread. I thought my 2004 Mk5 GT TDI DSG box still had some issues but it looks like they're all normal from what I'm reading here!

For me the biggest problem is the bang when pulling away quickly from the lights say going from brake pedal to hard acceleration. As said, let it bite first and you're fine. Also it can be annoying when coming slowly up to a junction, seeing a gap in traffic, putting your foot down and creeping forward for a second or so before it takes off.

I also get a bit of a clonk when it shifts down to second when lightly braking to a stop. 

Seems to enjoy being driven hard though, gentle driving highlights the problems.

All in all - undecided. I'm sure I'd miss the floor it and forget it part but it does make you feel rather disconnected sometimes.

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Mine jolts as you pull away but thats when you stab the pedal. If you let it "bite" then it will pull away as wuickly and smoothly as ever. Maybe you dont feel that witha diesel version

Yeh, let it bite first then floor it, essentially wait for it to creep a foot then floor it,  that helps prevent a clonk sound,   but its annoying cause you have to wait a tiny bit, whereas you'd already be off in a manual.   I guess it's splitting hairs,  like the difference between a 2 metre head start or not,  which simply means you can't go for a gap which you normally would when driving a manual.   It's deffo a drawback for me,  maybe I just need to chill out and not be racing every opportunity

My MK5 R32 was DSG. Loved it. Perfect match to that engine.

Nice, Its been a long long time since I drove an R32 dsg.  2005 I think

I like mine... its far from perfect though.

Yes I'm starting to think the same now.  It's great but has some drawbacks and I guess I've never really read anything that really explains what people really think of it other than it's great..

Hi im new to dsg after upgrading from a mk4 manual gti  so im still getting used to the dsg on a gti , only got the car in November, but i do find it a bit laggy when pulling out of a junction trying not to hit the pedal to hard so i don't lurch as for economy i seem to be using more fuel than on my old mk4 which was brilliant on fuel.

Yes you seem to need to need to anticipate a bit more than you do with a regular manual.   I guess that's fine if you're not in a rush all the time and just drive like granma, but if you're on the daily commute and rushing to work,  or at a busy junction/roundabout, sometimes you just have to go for those gaps.  It's annoying you either get nothing or something,  to which is then ended up with a clonk as the gearbox suddenly realises that you need it to be fast

Interesting thread. I thought my 2004 Mk5 GT TDI DSG box still had some issues but it looks like they're all normal from what I'm reading here!

For me the biggest problem is the bang when pulling away quickly from the lights say going from brake pedal to hard acceleration. As said, let it bite first and you're fine. Also it can be annoying when coming slowly up to a junction, seeing a gap in traffic, putting your foot down and creeping forward for a second or so before it takes off.

I also get a bit of a clonk when it shifts down to second when lightly braking to a stop. 

Seems to enjoy being driven hard though, gentle driving highlights the problems.

All in all - undecided. I'm sure I'd miss the floor it and forget it part but it does make you feel rather disconnected sometimes.

I think part of the problem we have is the lag in power delivery you get with a diesel.  DSG seems to love to be at low rpm naturally,  if you manually hold the gears higher then you get too much diesel noise.   I'm now starting to understand how dsg would suit an engine with instant throttle response and powerful torque at very low rpm - hence R32 engine and dsg every owner seems to say it's great.

The problems with DSG really only seem to bother me at anything below 40mph. 

The pulling away issues we've talked about already,  where there are some work arounds

The fact it's always going into some mad high gear at every opportunity

The unsmooth (clonky) nature when coming to a stop - as the gearbox goes down from 3 into 2 into 1st gear.     This was partially solved by doing a vagcom gearbox recalibration.   It's much much better now,  when I first got the car it was pretty clonky coming down the gears automatically. 

Yes i'd agree you do feel disconnected from driving

As a driver's choice the paddles are too small - I've got paddle extensions from ebay now,  but for me the paddles would be better if they were on the steering column - 1st gear is rediculously short,  if you're at a roundabout 1st gear is over in half a second and you can't grab the paddle with the steering wheel that's got lock on it,  so you have to punch the actual gearlever instead (which is bonkers as u have paddles),  the gearlever orientation is wrong too -  up should be towards the driver and down should be towards the front of the car - like G force feeling.

I guess this is what bugs me most about DSG and people saying it's the drivers choice.  There are so many critical floors in the system below 30mph,   and the paddles being too small and not steering column mounted,  and the gearlever orientation being wrong way around.

Would I buy DSG again ?   I'd have to test drive the car in question for sure.     For a fun weekend car,  maybe not so. 

#10 Wezz TA

Wezz TA

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 170PS DSG

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Im impressed with my tdi 170 dsg box. I have similar issues as mentioned above, but its a far superior box when compared to the cvt. I guess maybe we are a little spoilt and as these cars are around ten years old, they are a little bit in their infancy too. If anything, it should come with hill assist as standard? Im a hgv driver so generally i just avoid manual gearboxes. Manual for work, auto for play.

#11 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Just in Germany and vw autostady at the moment , we hired a tiguan for a few days,

Brand spanking new car, diesel 7 speed dsg, has all the toys .

The dsg on this car is amazing. Easy to drive and pretty responsive. Much smoother at low speeds , coming to a stop is smooth no clonking at all.

#12 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9420 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Well got back from Germany,

I was totally impressed with the new Tiguan Rline that we hired,   2.0 TDI dsg7speed 110kw (is that 150bhp?)

DSG gearbox was really really smooth,   below 30mph it was how an auto should be,  easy creep, smooth take off without clonking if you suddenly prodded it from standstill

Gearbox would hold gear (ie engine braking)  as you coast down a steep incline into underground carpark,  no need to use brakes to moderate the speed, so that was awesome,  acted more like a manual in that respect

When messing about the the different driving modes via the touch screen headunit, you can alter the steering weight, but also the gearbox mode,  from eco normal sport.

Sport mode made the gearbox a bit more manaul like,  in that it would tend to drop down faster, and also hold the gears longer,   but critically it doesn't make it into some mad ass SPORT mode like the dsg's do on mk5 Golfs...  you know sport on Golf mk5's is just rediculous,

Sport mode on this car was much more mellow,  it was responsive, but not intrusive.  They have done a lot of work to calibrate the software for sure.

I don't know if this mode of sport is different to just selecting SPORT via the gearlever,  but it works well for sure.

If I were to buy this car, I'd deffo go with dsg, as it seemed to work so well without any compromise for a large-ish sized car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users