#1 jamie v6 4 motion

jamie v6 4 motion

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • exeter
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

Hi want to do a little project for the summer putting a v6 4 motion engine in a mk 5 golf any one else done any conversion and would it be easy enough to do

#2 sootpig

sootpig

Adrian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4144 posts
  • Ashford, Kent
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

It's an interesting idea.

It should be possible without too much custom work, though the only VR6 engine they put in a MK5 was the R32. Meaning you'll probably need the gearbox (GUM) and driveshafts from an R32. I'm just guessing though, i don't know how much of the running gear is cross-compatible between MK4 and 5 platforms.

VR6 bell housings are the same, so gearboxes can be swapped, if different at all.

ECU and clocks could be fun, again, not sure how compatible they are. I think the MK5 clocks are CAN driven. You will probably need a de-immo'd ECU.

For the effort, i'd be sorely tempted to drop a BUB engine and box in instead. I mean, at least then it'll have re-sale value. No offence, but not many people want an 2.8 V6 MK5. An R32 engine however... SCENE POINTS!

I completely get it though. I have an irrational love for the AQN V5. I want to build a turbo V5 engine for my A3. For no other reason than I love the V5.

You do you.

#3 NZDubNurd

NZDubNurd

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Whangarei, New Zealand
  • Other Models

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

The mk5 is all can-bus. The elctronics of a mk4 2.8 aren't going to work right - you'll have codes out the wazoo.

Put an R32 engine in from a mk5 :-) It's what I've done to my Touran!

You can put a mk4 02M into a mk5, though the dogbone doesn't line up 100%, it works, and you need mk4 front driveshafts, with mk5 outer joints. The left engine/trans mount need to be the "right" one - one side matching the 02M, and other side a mk5 style - I used the one from the 09G auto in my Touran, and it's fine, but the DSG ones are different, and are the 02Q manual ones.

I've got a mk5 R32 engine and ecu etc in the Touran, mk4 02M, mk5 left driveshaft,  TT Quattro 3.2 right driveshaft with mk5 R32 outer CV. I have the 4 motion setup though, so needed the shorter right shaft.

There's a fair bit of wiring to do too, so really it's easier to buy an R32! Plus you get AWD.

I'm mental, which helps, but I had to build an R32 Touran, becasue a Golf doesn't have enough space, and a 2.0 Touran doesn't get the kids to school or kindy fast enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users