#1 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have the 1.4 model which means the trim/bumper thingys are black, or faded grey now :( and im thinking of swapping them out for coloured ones. My question is how easy are they to remove and replace? im guessing its glue or tape thats holding them down, what would i need to replace it? cheers

#2 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

the front bumper ones just un clip, the side ones are a bit more tricky as they are held on with double sided foam/tape and also clipped to the door.

#3 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

the front bumper ones just un clip, the side ones are a bit more tricky as they are held on with double sided foam/tape and also clipped to the door.

Okay cheers, any idea what I could use to put them back on?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#4 Sky28

Sky28

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Okay cheers, any idea what I could use to put them back on?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Just use some thin double sided tape to put the side ones back on, and as for the front and back they just pop right back in.

As for buying new ones, it might be more fun spraying them yourself! Just make sure you prep it right :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MK4 Golf 1.6 16v

(first car!)

Staines

#5 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Exeter
  • Golf IV Match 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

I sprayed my front and rears on my Match like yours being the more basic Golf's the black plastic probably looked great when it left the factory 13 years later being all faded and looking grey doesn't make the Golf stand out that's why I took mine off and painted them to match the body work a few spray cans, primer and lacquer from Halfords does the trick

23uzi1z.jpg

#6 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Best if buying new clips etc from VW. you will most likely snap em off of break em taking the trims off.

You can get the tape from vw as well

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#7 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Best if buying new clips etc from VW. you will most likely snap em off of break em taking the trims off.

You can get the tape from vw as well

You able to find a link to some? I can't seem to find them :(

And is this the type of tape to hold it back on?

http://www.halfords....ed-tape--hst109

#8 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

I sprayed my front and rears on my Match like yours being the more basic Golf's the black plastic probably looked great when it left the factory 13 years later being all faded and looking grey doesn't make the Golf stand out that's why I took mine off and painted them to match the body work a few spray cans, primer and lacquer from Halfords does the trick

I am thinking of that also, I'm just not good with spray painting and im scared to mess up :o I'd need to sand down, then primer, paint, then lacquuer right?

#9 Sky28

Sky28

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

I am thinking of that also, I'm just not good with spray painting and im scared to mess up :o I'd need to sand down, then primer, paint, then lacquuer right?

Yeah that's right, and after you laquer it, give it a week or 2 then cut it back and polish it. There are plenty of videos online to help you as well as us :)

MK4 Golf 1.6 16v

(first car!)

Staines

#10 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Exeter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Welcome to the club, this was the first part I have ever sprayed their are plenty of guide on here on how to get the best look but if your up for doing it yourself easiest way I did mine was this:

1, After removing the bumper mouldings/side strips make sure you clean them throughly with warm soapy water to remove any dirt that's built up over the years, including the inside of them too,

2, Once cleaned throughly dry them best results is to leave them out in the sun for a few hours to dry (I Think I did mine on a Friday afternoon and let them dry until the sun set!)

3, Prep time, If your primer can is cold make sure you put it inside or in the sun for it to warm up for best results, whilst its warming up take some fine sandpaper and light sand back the top layer (Depnding on how you want to finish to be i.e with the plastic balls there or a completely flat/smooth look like the GTi ones)

4, Once you have the desired finish done without any deep dents into the plastic, throughly clean it again to make sure you don't have any forrign objects on it and dry it.

5, At this stage it should then be possible to start priming the bumper molding **So long as the bumper is smooth to the touch**

To begin spray lightly going from one side to the other don't stop in one place and continue to spray as it will begin to drip and you'd have to start all over again!

Once you think you have covered all of the bumper trim with the primer put it somewhere safe to dry and leave for the rest of the day (IMO for best results) **if you have any pets that like to roam outside just make sure they don't go near it as the pet hairs will end up sticking to the wet primer

6. Once the primer has dried have a look over it to see if you have missed anywhere **I didn't spray the inside of mine as you won't see it so don't be worried if you have overspray on the inside**

If you haven't and are happy with the primer coat * Not showing any of the grey/black plastic underneeth then wipe it down with panel wipes (can get them from Halfords) and begin with the first coat of your chosen colour!
7. As before make sure the can is warmed up room temp should be plenty warm enough to start, yet again spraying it in a slow motion not to close to the bumper mouldings will do the trick, when putting on the colour make sure you do it almost like your painting a fence, never go over a section you have just sprayed onto as it would give it an uneven coat, and don't feel like once you have covered it on the first go it looks rubbish as once the first coat has dried your going to need to put another coat on.

*After finishing your first coat wait a few hours/a day depending on how the weather is so you don't suffer from paint run.

8. Once the first coat has dried then continue onto the second and wait (like the first coat)

*Continue this until you have the desired colour you want, once you have leave it to dry to a day or so and then onto the lacquar!

9. Once the paint of how many coats you've done has dried then begin the lacquaring (Making sure the can is warmed up first)

10. Just like before with the rattle spray cans strart from one side/corner and work across so you don't go over the same area you've already done

*Once done with the first lacquar coat leave to dry in a sunny or warm place and once dry continue with the next coat (Should only take a few hours for it to dry)

**Depending on the desired look again a few coats may be needed to give it that real nice shine

Once all done and you've got the desired look I would recomend leaving it off the car for a day or so for the paint to harden and then fit it back to your car.

Doing all this took me a Friday afternoon and then both Sat and Sun (Yes I really don't have anything better to do then watch paint dry recently :( )

I'm sure that other members would say that you can do things slightly differently but this is how I found to do mine the easiest (and yet again IMO gives the best result without forking out £££ for a body shop to do it)

Hope this small ish guide helps, any questions on it I'll be happy to help you as best as I can.

23uzi1z.jpg

#11 Bradley Crawford

Bradley Crawford

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • London

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to the club, this was the first part I have ever sprayed their are plenty of guide on here on how to get the best look but if your up for doing it yourself easiest way I did mine was this:

1, After removing the bumper mouldings/side strips make sure you clean them throughly with warm soapy water to remove any dirt that's built up over the years, including the inside of them too,

2, Once cleaned throughly dry them best results is to leave them out in the sun for a few hours to dry (I Think I did mine on a Friday afternoon and let them dry until the sun set!)

3, Prep time, If your primer can is cold make sure you put it inside or in the sun for it to warm up for best results, whilst its warming up take some fine sandpaper and light sand back the top layer (Depnding on how you want to finish to be i.e with the plastic balls there or a completely flat/smooth look like the GTi ones)

4, Once you have the desired finish done without any deep dents into the plastic, throughly clean it again to make sure you don't have any forrign objects on it and dry it.

5, At this stage it should then be possible to start priming the bumper molding **So long as the bumper is smooth to the touch**

To begin spray lightly going from one side to the other don't stop in one place and continue to spray as it will begin to drip and you'd have to start all over again!

Once you think you have covered all of the bumper trim with the primer put it somewhere safe to dry and leave for the rest of the day (IMO for best results) **if you have any pets that like to roam outside just make sure they don't go near it as the pet hairs will end up sticking to the wet primer

6. Once the primer has dried have a look over it to see if you have missed anywhere **I didn't spray the inside of mine as you won't see it so don't be worried if you have overspray on the inside**

If you haven't and are happy with the primer coat * Not showing any of the grey/black plastic underneeth then wipe it down with panel wipes (can get them from Halfords) and begin with the first coat of your chosen colour!
7. As before make sure the can is warmed up room temp should be plenty warm enough to start, yet again spraying it in a slow motion not to close to the bumper mouldings will do the trick, when putting on the colour make sure you do it almost like your painting a fence, never go over a section you have just sprayed onto as it would give it an uneven coat, and don't feel like once you have covered it on the first go it looks rubbish as once the first coat has dried your going to need to put another coat on.

*After finishing your first coat wait a few hours/a day depending on how the weather is so you don't suffer from paint run.

8. Once the first coat has dried then continue onto the second and wait (like the first coat)

*Continue this until you have the desired colour you want, once you have leave it to dry to a day or so and then onto the lacquar!

9. Once the paint of how many coats you've done has dried then begin the lacquaring (Making sure the can is warmed up first)

10. Just like before with the rattle spray cans strart from one side/corner and work across so you don't go over the same area you've already done

*Once done with the first lacquar coat leave to dry in a sunny or warm place and once dry continue with the next coat (Should only take a few hours for it to dry)

**Depending on the desired look again a few coats may be needed to give it that real nice shine

Once all done and you've got the desired look I would recomend leaving it off the car for a day or so for the paint to harden and then fit it back to your car.

Doing all this took me a Friday afternoon and then both Sat and Sun (Yes I really don't have anything better to do then watch paint dry recently :( )

I'm sure that other members would say that you can do things slightly differently but this is how I found to do mine the easiest (and yet again IMO gives the best result without forking out £££ for a body shop to do it)

Hope this small ish guide helps, any questions on it I'll be happy to help you as best as I can.

Brilliant mate cheers! Appreciate it alot :)

Didn't realize it was a 3 day thing (if i want it to look good). I obviously dont want to rush it, may have to contact a body shop, I also want to paint the rear and front valances to match the car also, But ive been quoted 175 (for each end!) from one place, and 200 (all together) from another. I have one last shot, my dads recommended me this guy so I'm probably going to pop and see him tonight. If not, then I gotta get a weekend free!

Cheers again for the detailed guide, definitely saving it to my phone for future reference!

#12 Sky28

Sky28

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Great guide mate!

MK4 Golf 1.6 16v

(first car!)

Staines

#13 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Exeter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

@Sky28 @Bradley Crawford No problem's guys as I said this was my first attempt at spraying anything for mine and it looks ace, then I moved onto the engine cover, battery box and the Audi A3 coolant side cover painted them all to match the black and blue GTI sports seat interior I've got and they look awesome the spray cans you can get from Halfords work really well with the engine temp and don't cause the paint to run

23uzi1z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users