• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2619 posts
  • Barking (Home) Leyton (Modding) Edmonton (Broken)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Ok

33 years old & been smoking since I was 14.

Stopped on the 6th Jan cold turkey.

Now I'm coping pretty well - obviously getting cravings but they seem more low level and fairly constant rather than "oh my god I NEEEED a cigarette" moments every so often.

I'm over the nicotine addiction and feel like it is mainly psychological cravings and triggers at this point.

My question is this - I'm 100% confident that I don't want to smoke a cigarette ever again but am very aware of the possibility of a relapse.

So do I as a lesser of two evils go with a 0% vape device (has to be 0% as I'm past nicotine) just in case or do I just keep going as I am and stick it out?

I'd rather cave vaping than smoking if I were to.

Any opinions really really welcomed on this - it is a matter of life or death possibly!

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#2 primofacprima

primofacprima

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Hants
  • Bora Sport 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Have you considered hypnosis for the "habitual" stuff? I have a couple of friends who had success this way. About £200 about 12 years ago I think...

Well done for getting this far :Y:

#3 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2619 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have you considered hypnosis for the "habitual" stuff? I have a couple of friends who had success this way. About £200 about 12 years ago I think...

Well done for getting this far :Y:

Thanks! Not really gotten very far yet to be honest but happy enough with how it's going!

Not considered hypnosis - it's odd as I don't feel as though I need anything that drastic as I'm currently coping fine apart from coffee - I just wondered if anyone had used vaping as a sort of failsafe.

I genuinely feel as though I'm past the physical addiction stage already (or the worst of it) but know the routine/habit part may be a little more difficult long term.

Quite hard to explain how it feels - especially to those who have never smoked - probably seems quite bizarre/stupid to be honest!

Thanks again!

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#4 Adam_Jonezy

Adam_Jonezy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Preston, Lancs
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

My Dad's using the vape thing, and it's worked wonders for him. Hes using 0% now and he hasn't even thought about having a fag. Hes many using it for the habit.
He swears by it, and he has been smoking for over 30 years.

From my Dad's point of view and how it's been for him I'd recommend it mate. Hope this helps at all. Any questions just ask and il try get my Dad to answer for you.

#5 Dan FR

Dan FR

Meth addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2782 posts
  • Caerdydd
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Stick at the cold turkey mate.... You've managed this far, just take it one day at a time. I did the same thing about 3 years ago, just gave it up cold turkey. I did find I started to snack more and put on a few lbz during the first couple of months..... but that's just one of the way I coped in terms of keeping my fingers busy.... 

Believe me you are over the hard part, it'll still be hard for the next few weeks but after that it becomes a thing of the past. Just try to avoid the 'situations' where you would normally smoke, i.e. sat in the kitchen with a coffee, outside the pub with mates etc.

20160424_174354_1.jpg

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+ ...  :D PSN: PuntoGT031087. VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Logging, Coding, SKC retrieval & Immo work, MTE + Lit needles, Auto windows etc.. 1.9 TDI PD - Mapping & tweaking, LC, Popcorn etc

#6 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

If you start with the vaping your just changing the addiction.

I stopped smoking and went onto ecigs etc.. low nicotine or 0 and because i currently work behind a desk i find myself using it more than when i smoked.

Because i can, its there on the desk anytime i want it, issue then is you dont know when to stop. like your fag gets to the end you stop.

not with these things.

My mrs did the same and if her battery runs out or she's out of juice she goes mad aha

I can leave this in my car if i wanted but i do crave the hit still nicotine or not

Best of just staying away mate.

Maybe take up drinking water instead, that 2ltr a day will make you feel mega trust me. you'll pee a lot at first, everytime you get up infact but it wares off after a couple weeks lol

Edited by Elek, 12 January 2017 - 04:47 PM.

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#7 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2619 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone - another day to chalk off soon!

Have definitely been eating more! Mostly gone with fruit (water & vitamins etc) although I still feel bunged up and lethargic most of the day'

I think for now I'll try and stay away from the vape then - I understand replacing cigs with a "guilt free" version probably won't help break the psychological habit/addiction in the long run.

Reckon I'll be ok - it's just a big thing and I'm definitely managing to overthink it!

I'll update this thread if I remember each week - try and make myself accountable!

Thanks again!

#8 TWONK FEATURES

TWONK FEATURES

Royce

• Moderators
  • 6202 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Not that i smoke but i agree with elek. I swear people sleep with their vapers in their mouth

#9 TWONK FEATURES

TWONK FEATURES

Royce

• Moderators
  • 6202 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

No free advertising boys and girls.

#10 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

Not that i smoke but i agree with elek. I swear people sleep with their vapers in their mouth

My mrs practially does.

Ive woken up with it stuck to my back before, moved the covers and sent it flying, heard it hit the floor when she turns over etc... aha

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#11 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2619 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Ha ha - don't want to end up sharing a bed with it!

I'll just stick to how I'm doing - it is working ok to be fair and I'm getting over the flu type stuff now so should be able to get out cycling again soon which will help.

I'm just having a coffee and Bacon sandwich every day at the minute to try and get my brain reprogrammed. Just so I can enjoy it without thinking of cigarettes immediately.

It does seem to be making a difference but I'll probably have another thread about Bacon addiction in a couple of months lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users