Photo

Problem with bench test rig for mk4 cluster swap

Best Answer SteveB18 , 25 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Finally sorted it. Turned out to be a loose connection on the K line!

It was OK when I first checked it with a meter but it lost connection when I stretched the lead to plug it in......

Now have a working bench rig, couldn't get skc with vag tacho as you predicted. Got it with Eeprom programmer. I have also enabled the Welcome message, and adjusted mileage to my car. Turns out miles to empty and illuminated needles was already enabled.

Big thank you for you help and advice guys Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

Hi all

First post from a newbie here.

I'm attempting to upgrade my mk4 2001 golf 1.6 16v s 5 door hatch. (Immo 2) I have got full fis immo 3 clocks. I have set up a bench rig and have followed the connections as per the post below to get the skc code so I can code it to my car.

http://forums.tdiclu...ad.php?t=309672

I'm using VCDS and Vag tacho. I cannot get either to connect on my bench rig. (Both connect and work with the clocks in my car)

I get no response from module. When I test the interface in Vcds I get a K2 short to ground error.

I am aware of the k-line vcds aftermarket stereo problem.. But that doesn't seem to apply. I have also tested the connections with a meter to see if there is a leak to earth. No problems found.

I feel that the obd2 female L-line k2 (pin 15) needs to be connected to the t32 blue or green connectors somewhere.. But from looking at the pinouts I can't see anything obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

#2 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

You need the SKC from both the cluster in the car and the new cluster. Once you've pulled the SKC from the original cluster, just swap in the new one and repeat the process.

A bench rig isn't needed.  How have you wired it up?  

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92
Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread.

#3 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Skc from my old clocks, although the guide on here says I don't need it? Set the bench rig up so I can get the skc from the new clocks with vag tacho. I could plug it into the car and do it but I was hoping to make a start before I start pulling my car apart.

I have connected it as per the post above:

Blue connector:

Pin:
1 - terminal 15 positive (12 volts)
23 - terminal 30, positive (12 volts)
24 - terminal 31, earth (ground)
25 - self diagnosis/K-wire (K-line)
----------------------------------------------------------------
OBD connector:

Pin:
4+5 - Ground
7 - K-line
16 - 12 volts

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aditional:

Blue connector:

Pin:
22 - ground (coolant temp)

Green connector:

Pin:
6-washer fluid (ground)
7-brake pad sensor (ground)

23 ,24 ,25 - ground for MFA

Any ideas on the k2 ground error?

Cheers

Steve

#4 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Patch vag-tacho; it's garbage.  Use EEPROM Programmer.  It's a link to my Google Drive on my build thread.  

You need the SKC from the new cluster.  Just fit it and use EEPROM programmer to grab it.  It's two screws to remove the cluster.  Put the column as low as it'll go and pull it out as far as it'll go.  It gives more space to maneuver the cluster out.

Remove the k-line from the interface and check again.  Are you using a genuine cable?  Have you tested it in the car?

#5 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi Adam

Thanks will try the EP. I guess I will have to do the swap in the car. I was hoping to do some of it inside in the warm!

The interfaces are ebay specials but work fine in car. So I assume the problem is the harness connection.

I've been trying to find where the L-line goes in a bench rig if at all?

Thanks for your help

Steve

#6 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Warm the car up before you start; it will only take 5 minutes. :)

L-line?

#7 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Lol. The L-line or K2 pin 15 on the obd2 connector. That is apparently needed on some older cars to 'wake up' the module.. when I do the VCDS interface test I get the k2 (L-line) ground error, even though it's not connected to anything!

So I'm wondering if I connect it to one of the t32 pins in either the green or blue connector on the cluster it will work?

I did try joining it to the K-line. I then got a K-line to ground error but k2 was ok!

I'm sure it's a simple fix.... !!!!

#8 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Update:

After more research I have modified my bench rig to incorporate an "ignition on/off" switch. This toggles the battery and ignition power feeds. By first connecting the battery live and then ignition live, I now get K1 and K2 OK. I have also connected the can high and low wires which gives me the Can ready/OK message. But when I try to connect to my new immo3 clocks....... I still get module not found.

Some threads suggest I might need to connect an ECU... and/or an immo coil? But I thought the immo3 can clocks contain this and can be connected to in isolation, or with other modules?

I appreciate I can do this in car, but I would really like to do this on the bench as I want to confirm I can get the skc, set up MTE, illuminated needles etc...and this is my only car and is used everyday.... so if I mess it up...

It seems everyone who has followed the instructions above has set up a successful bench rig... Apart from me!

Any help much appreciated....or if anyone is in the Pompey area?

#9 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2600 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

I know you are quite far into this and want to get it to work, but personally I'd just do the coding in the car and be done with it.

r32%20rescue2_zpss0lccikh.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread                        

#10 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

Hi Yes that seems to be the advice I'm getting... but it's really bugging me.....

I hope I can get the skc from the new clocks, and if it goes wrong I can put the old ones back?

Hoping to hear from one of you wizards that have set up hundreds of bench rigs before? I know you're out there!

#11 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2600 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I don't know if anyone would need to or want to set up "hundreds of test rigs" :) I built mine a few years ago from scrap parts I had (check the switches with wires cut off them below), from parts I've saved from when I used to be into electronics a bit more. Used some old leads from a knackered multi meter to join crocodile clips for the battery hook up. Even that little grey box was in my old parts box. The only thing I swapped out was that light bulb for a big bright LED to indicate the polarity was the right way around so I didn't blow up any clusters with reverse voltage

logo-s1_zps0zdovkcb.jpg

Got it up and running

logo-s2_zpsc7mtvua4.jpg
logo-s3_zpspp1yeksy.jpg

Then upgraded it a bit further:

logo-s4_zpsq3l6bavi.jpg
logo-s5_zps6y8ropfj.jpg
logo-s6_zpsbhrc35ys.jpg
logo-s7_zpsofzciqv1.jpg

Then a final upgrade for when I was helping a guy with a dead R32:
logo-s8_zpsjyh5rjvb.jpg

I'd still say if you are just doing a bit of one off coding to your car, you may as well take a read of your cluster direct to your laptop, save it then make a 2nd copy, mod the copy with your changes and flash it back to the cluster. If you have issues just flash back the original unmodified read you took.

Do you really need a bench cable that much? I don't think anyone can help you as you may have made a mistake with the wiring or have bad connectors, we can't diagnose that over a forum. I just did a bit of googling to find the pinouts etc and it was a pretty straight forwards build. Maybe you need to scrap it and start again or just not bother?

r32%20rescue2_zpss0lccikh.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread                        

#12 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

What a superb piece of kit....!

I have checked and re-checked the connections....(as I posted above) so I guess you don't need the immo coil as well to connect to the cluster?

I'd be very interested in your wiring diagram in case I missed something. Thanks for sharing that with me

Cheers

Steve

#13 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5143 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

You don't, no.  It should just be ground/k-line.  There's nothing much to it man.

#14 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hi again Adam thanks for the Eeprom tip will try That.

I think that's what is so frustrating. I have the lives, K-line and earths connected. But no joy. I'll start again and go through it... I stopped getting the K2 error when I put the live feeds on a switch... Maybe it could be an issue putting all the earth's together?

Am I right in saying in that I should at least make a connection even with the immo activated symbol?

Again much obliged for taking the time to read and reply. ..😊

#15 SteveB18

SteveB18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Portsmouth

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:14 AM   Best Answer

Finally sorted it. Turned out to be a loose connection on the K line!

It was OK when I first checked it with a meter but it lost connection when I stretched the lead to plug it in......

Now have a working bench rig, couldn't get skc with vag tacho as you predicted. Got it with Eeprom programmer. I have also enabled the Welcome message, and adjusted mileage to my car. Turns out miles to empty and illuminated needles was already enabled.

Big thank you for you help and advice guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users