Moorhouse

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hi guys,

Have a Golf GT TDI 170 57 plate. Had it for just over 6-months after buying it privately. The guy I bought it from said it was completely standard.

The other week I decided to go for a Superchips Bluefin. Received it yesterday, plugged it in and sent my details over.

Had a phone call this morning from a nice chap from Superchips HQ who informed me that my ECU had come back with all sorts of strange settings. He seemed fairly confused with what he was seeing and said he wasn't willing to change anything as it could mess my car up. He also said it looked like the DPF had been deleted from the CPU. He suggested I call the guy I purchased it from and ask what he'd done so they could figure out whether it was ok to reset it.

I only have the guys number and it seems to now be inactive... I could possibly drive over, but it was a 6-hour round trip so I'm a little reluctant..

Where do I go from here? Could I get my mechanic to take a look or am I asking for more trouble by going down this path..? 

#2 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4636 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like your current guy doesn't know what he's doing either.

If in doubt, bootmode, flash over with known good file and go from there. If he can't do that, find a PROPER tuner.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#3 Moorhouse

Moorhouse

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Sounds like your current guy doesn't know what he's doing either.

If in doubt, bootmode, flash over with known good file and go from there. If he can't do that, find a PROPER tuner.

I thought Superchips were fairly reputable? 

He seemed a genuine guy just being cautious. He's uploaded a reset map to my account so I guess the option of that is there, but I think he was suggesting if there were any physical changes, ie DPF delete, I'd run into issues...?

#4 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4636 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

So you're being sent a file to upload yourself? That's why he won't do it. It usually ends in a brick (hence bootmode).

Anyone who uploads generic remap over the internet isn't optimising at all. It needs logs, and putting the customer at risk of doing third gear pulls isn't worth it, so it'll just be "one flash and that's it".

If it's been mapped by APR/Revo you will brick on read; so it's likely that if you're able to read, you should be able to write. Personally though, I'd be getting a pro to do it because of the risk of bricking it.

#5 Moorhouse

Moorhouse

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

So you're being sent a file to upload yourself? That's why he won't do it. It usually ends in a brick (hence bootmode).

Anyone who uploads generic remap over the internet isn't optimising at all. It needs logs, and putting the customer at risk of doing third gear pulls isn't worth it, so it'll just be "one flash and that's it".

If it's been mapped by APR/Revo you will brick on read; so it's likely that if you're able to read, you should be able to write. Personally though, I'd be getting a pro to do it because of the risk of bricking it.

Sorry, yes - it's via the Bluefin so I uploaded my settings last night and received the call this morning.

So, what you're suggesting is - return the Bluefin and go to a dealer that can read/write/test in-house to avoid me potentially bricking it? 

Could this bring up further issues, ie - if it has had a DPF delete (physical), I'm landed with a bill to refit one? 

#6 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4636 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Absolutely. You could try it and hope that it doesn't brick. By the sounds of the previous map, it sounds like writing over it wouldn't be an issue. I'd say you're probably not at risk but if it bricks, you have a car that won't start. It's totally your call. If it was me, I'd do it; but I'm pretty blasé.

#7 Moorhouse

Moorhouse

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

Absolutely. You could try it and hope that it doesn't brick. By the sounds of the previous map, it sounds like writing over it wouldn't be an issue. I'd say you're probably not at risk but if it bricks, you have a car that won't start. It's totally your call. If it was me, I'd do it; but I'm pretty blasé.

I'm tempted, but having an hour commute each way, I don't think it's worth it...

For the mean time, I'll keep trying to track down the last owner and see if he can shed any light on what he's done..!

Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it  :Y:

#8 bobfish45

bobfish45

Fossil

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 755 posts
  • manchester
  • Bora SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Listen to Adam, he's a clever lad.

#9 AAGT150

AAGT150

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Does the car smoke black smoke in hard acceleration ? Or have sooty tail pipes?

I would take it to a reputable tunning company and see what they say? They can flash the stock map on it first and then remap it how they wish

#10 tdi-billy

tdi-billy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

I'm in a similar boat in some ways, I bought a golf mk5 2009 58rg 2.0 tdi gt sport 140 from a trader who said he thought it was mapped, id never driven a similar golf so couldn't compare it, but my cousin had a ed 30 mapped & wanted to check its power, he suggested me tagging along for the rolling road gig so i did, i put mine on aswell & it gave 168 bhp, some time later i had the odd kick out of power when pushing it  (turbo overboost) & i ended up mr muscle cleaning the turbo vnt but also found out it had a stuck arm that goes through the turbo wall, after freeing this off it is now night & DAY !!, Now id like to re test it but mostly id like to know who's map it is cos it goes like sh*t & must be near 180 bhp & pulls like a rocket in 1 st & 2 nd even in 3rd from 1k rpm, say after going over speed bumps push the pedal & it grunts & pulls !!. it has always had the bkd rough idle so id like to maybe find a re mapper that could smooth this out, It had periods when it did smoke when pushed but after some torsion adjustment its now minimal but still has the bkd judder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users