#1 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

My current PC that I've had for about 3 years has been fine up until now for general browsing and Photoshop,it's a sort of generic Pentium R with nothing special added to it,so onboard graphics etc.

I've bought a 4K video camera that I need to edit the footage from,which is sort of fine for loading the video files.But when I come to export them after editing,it takes 45 minutes to export a 4 minute video.It's also slow when comes to doing colour correction etc as it takes up to 15 seconds or so before I see the changes,making it almost impossible to do small incremental changes.It will however play 4k @ 30 FPS videos without any problems.

It was suggested that I need more memory,but if I monitor memory usage while it's exporting a video it's hovering between 4 and 5GB which seems to be ok for just 8GB of memory.The CPU however is a different story as it's constantly on 100% usage when doing this,but normally less than 10% when doing just about anything else. 

The CPU can't be over clocked I'm told,so what are my options if I don't want to (can't afford/justify) buying a high spec PC built specifically for this one task? I would imagine a separate GPU (or video card if you prefer),and if so will any old one do,or do I need something a lot more specific,and if so what specs do I need to be looking for?

#2 lamplighter

lamplighter

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Horsham West Sussex
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Hello what program are you using to edit your file and do you have an up to date codec pack installed. 

Might be worth down converting the file first from 4k H265 down to 4k H264 dependent on what your 4k camera records  4k H265 is a new compression so maybe your camera is still H264 then you would have to down convert to mp4 or mkv still keeping the quality but a smaller file to deal with   .

If your CPU is dual core then its not strong enough minimum for editing 4k is around i5, i6, i7 processors . your ram is good

#3 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hello!!!! Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 with everything fully up to date.

I'm already on H264 with a dual core Pentium.Can I try just a GPU upgrade first,and then the CPU if it still won't do it?

Oh and of course thanks :) .

#4 lamplighter

lamplighter

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Horsham West Sussex

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hello Again ok so im guessing that you added this software to your PC and you have an on board graphics card which isn't going to be any good

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 system requirements and language versions
Windows
  • Multicore processor with 64-bit support
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or Windows 8 (64 bit), or Windows 10 (64 bit).
  • 8GB of RAM (16GB recommended)
  • 8GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1280x800 display
  • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
  • Optional: Adobe-recommended GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*

So the optional adobe recommended GPU would be down the lines of the Quadro card  and if you have £400 to spare and dependent on how much video editing you are going to do to justify the cost is the following

4GB PNY NVIDIA Quadro K2200, 640 CUDA Cores, 1.3 TEFLOPs, GDDR5, PCIe 2.0 (x16), DisplayPort/DVI, 128-bit, 80GB/s

But if its just a one of then i would down convert the file to something that you PC and graphics card can handle OR ask around to see if someone out there has a gaming PC with a good GPU  to help you out .

Regards

Lamps

#5 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Thanks again Lamps!

I can't justify or afford £400 for a new GPU for the limited use it will get,and bearing in mind I'll need a bigger PSU as well,I didn't want to spend more than about £100 on it.I've been reading a lot of reviews,and so far this one comes up as being well liked for it's performance and cheap price......

20150812180726_m.png

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0146YLBTO

I'm not willing to compromise on quality by converting to a lesser or smaller format or quality.I've bought a 4K telly to watch my own 4K videos on even if my PC will play 4K videos but will only effectively show them in 2K.

#6 lamplighter

lamplighter

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Horsham West Sussex

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Hi that looks like a good deal from nvidia but have to make sure that your psu is at least 400w  i was going to suggest the AMD fire pro w9100 but you would have to sell your car to buy it . 

Have you tried a different program that's less hungry on the GPU and CPU one other thing to consider is your hard drive.

So if your doing offline editing  your hard drive needs to spin at least 7200rpm,  red cameras like the Sony NEX  4k files have higher bit rates which require more storage and processor power, so editing raw 4K footage takes more power and storage than compressed formats.

That's why i suggested to re compress your file and i don't think you would notice much difference in the quality that's what i used to do with the bluray that i used to strip down to a more manageable size for my lappy to cope with but still gave the same quality as the original file, and yes i did manage to strip cut and edit bluray on a dual core celeron  Advent 5612

Give that graphics card a go if your PC still struggles you can always take the card back .

Lamps

#7 JTriple6andSmurf

JTriple6andSmurf

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Golf IV GTI 2.0 8v APK 115PS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:49 PM

Gigabyte 970-DS3P Motherboard
AMD FX 8370 4GHz 8 core Black Edition CPU
12GB Corsair XMS3 3x4GB 1333MHz Ram
2TB HDD
120GB SSD
HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics card
Sound Blaster Audigy FX 7.1 Sound Card
Random network card
1000W Coolermaster Bronze Power Supply
Lite-On DVD RW
Coolermaster Sedion 120V V2 CPU Watercooler
Galaxy Evo case
Cyborg V7 Gaming keyboard
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse
SMS Audio Street By 50 Headphones
Samson CO1U Studio USB Mic
Windows 10 64 Bit

My PC Specs

#8 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

Hi that looks like a good deal from nvidia but have to make sure that your psu is at least 400w  i was going to suggest the AMD fire pro w9100 but you would have to sell your car to buy it . 

Have you tried a different program that's less hungry on the GPU and CPU one other thing to consider is your hard drive.

So if your doing offline editing  your hard drive needs to spin at least 7200rpm,  red cameras like the Sony NEX  4k files have higher bit rates which require more storage and processor power, so editing raw 4K footage takes more power and storage than compressed formats.

That's why i suggested to re compress your file and i don't think you would notice much difference in the quality that's what i used to do with the bluray that i used to strip down to a more manageable size for my lappy to cope with but still gave the same quality as the original file, and yes i did manage to strip cut and edit bluray on a dual core celeron  Advent 5612

My current PSU is only 250 watts,so will change it for one that's at least double that.I can't remember what the bitrate is,but it's only from a GoPro style Xiaomi Yi 4K and hasn't got as high a bit rate as cameras like the Sony have.I want to keep the workflow as simple as possible so will keep it at it's native settings unless all else fails.

I've spent the last week or so learning how to use the one editing program that seems to be the industry standard,so want to carry on using that unless it won't work without spending BIG money.

Gigabyte 970-DS3P Motherboard
AMD FX 8370 4GHz 8 core Black Edition CPU
12GB Corsair XMS3 3x4GB 1333MHz Ram
2TB HDD
120GB SSD
HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics card
Sound Blaster Audigy FX 7.1 Sound Card
Random network card
1000W Coolermaster Bronze Power Supply
Lite-On DVD RW
Coolermaster Sedion 120V V2 CPU Watercooler
Galaxy Evo case
Cyborg V7 Gaming keyboard
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse
SMS Audio Street By 50 Headphones
Samson CO1U Studio USB Mic
Windows 10 64 Bit

My PC Specs

Errrmmm.... I'm sure that's very interesting :P ,but what would you recommend as a GPU upgrade ?for my PC

#9 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Record in 1080p instead. 4K is a total waste of time in most situations.

sigzort.jpg

#10 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4853 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

If you've spent that much on a 4k camera, you need to spend good money to process it.  Pay to play, I guess.

PSU is massively undersized for the task, would need a 500+ IMO.  Buy a good one, Corsair or the likes.  Cheap ones will crap out and take your stuff with them.

The CPU is flat out because there's no GPU to take over.  Buy a quality GPU (budget 300+ for one) and you should be golden.

SSD will help manage files better too, the difference is unreal!

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#11 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Exeter
  • Golf IV Match 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi Image, by the sounds of it your PC sounds pretty tired, if you were wanting to upgrade your graphics card in order to be able to run things a bit more smoothly I would suggest having at least a 500w PSU dosen't need to be anything fancy (brand wise ect), have a look at a company called Novatech, they are based in Portsmouth and they sell computer components at a very fair price, since you said that you only have 8GB onboard it would be recomended to upgrade that to at least a 16GB if your motherboard can support it.

Would it be possiable to have a full spec of your PC so we know were to start from :) From there I'm sure I can recomend new components that should would make a difference :P

23uzi1z.jpg

#12 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

Record in 1080p instead. 4K is a total waste of time in most situations.

I'd have to disagree with you there Rich.Although I do have to agree with people who say that Canon L lenses are a waste of money and you can get just as good photos from a non L lens for a quarter of the price :P .I mean,no one can really tell the difference right? 

This is my favourite 4K demo or test video.Watch it on a decent 4K telly or monitor at 4K resolution,then watch it at 1080P and tell me hand on heart that you can't tell the difference.My eyesight is rubbish and I can tell the difference.....

If you've spent that much on a 4k camera, you need to spend good money to process it.  Pay to play, I guess.

PSU is massively undersized for the task, would need a 500+ IMO.  Buy a good one, Corsair or the likes.  Cheap ones will crap out and take your stuff with them.

The CPU is flat out because there's no GPU to take over.  Buy a quality GPU (budget 300+ for one) and you should be golden.

SSD will help manage files better too, the difference is unreal!

A new PSU is on it's way.I can't justify big bucks on an expensive GPU so will buy a recently superceded one such the Gigabyte above.Anything after that will be only if there's no other alternative.

Hi Image, by the sounds of it your PC sounds pretty tired, if you were wanting to upgrade your graphics card in order to be able to run things a bit more smoothly I would suggest having at least a 500w PSU dosen't need to be anything fancy (brand wise ect), have a look at a company called Novatech, they are based in Portsmouth and they sell computer components at a very fair price, since you said that you only have 8GB onboard it would be recomended to upgrade that to at least a 16GB if your motherboard can support it.

Would it be possiable to have a full spec of your PC so we know were to start from :) From there I'm sure I can recomend new components that should would make a difference :P

I know Novatech as I've bought bits from them before.Surely the new GPU will have extra memory on board,why would extra RAM be needed if it only gets as high as 5 GB even when pushed flat out?

It's a Gigabyte mother board like this.....http://www.gigabyte....2-DVI-rev-10#ov,a 3 Ghz Pentium R dual core processor and 8GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM.

#13 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

What is the video you are editing going to be viewed on. Unless it's over 42" then I honestly think you are crunching 4K video unessisarily. That coupled with your computer being a bit slow, you'll be forever fighting it.

1080p is plenty good enough.

sigzort.jpg

#14 lamplighter

lamplighter

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Horsham West Sussex

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hi again how long is your video  if its say 4mins split it down to 30 sec segments then in each 30 sec segment do what you need to do  editing wise  then join it back into one file but you might have to extract the audio for each 30 sec segment at the same time so that you can keep the time lines

Just an idea to help you out with out having to spend cash 

Lamps

#15 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Dorset
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hi Chris,

8GB of Ram is plenty for exporting/rendering video at 4k or 1080p. SSD is useful if you want OS/ program loading times reduced, but not really necessary for rendering/ average daily use.

You won't need a particularly flash graphics card either, you just need one that will take the strain off of your CPU.

A GTX 950 or 950Ti will suffice this, or you can go the AMD route, which offer better 'bang for your buck' from personal experience.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B01J1J7WOM

This is a slightly newer AMD equivilent, which has 2GB more VRAM (4GB total), which will be an improvement over the 950 rendering wise. It could also be considered more future proof than the 950, which is now a generation outdated already.

As for a PSU, a Corsair or EVGA unit is what I always go for - Good reputation and customer service, especially from EVGA. 

These two would be plenty for the AMD or NVIDIA card and the rest of your computer, and from the link to the motherboard you listed, they will be compatible.

- EVGA 500W (https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00H33SFJU)

-Cosair 550W (https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00TE4XSMA)

As RubberDuck mentioned, Novatech are a great little company, however I do find that their prices for brands other than themselves can be higher than amazon or other retailers.

Something that may help a tad for the time being is giving the computer a good clean! Get yourself a can of compressed air off the bay or amazon, turn off the computer at the powersupply switch on the back and remove some of the dust. You may be surprised how much of a difference it can make when your components have decent airflow, not dissimilar to a car I guess  :P

If you have any questions or anything shoot me a pm - I build PC's for friends and family all the time and used to as part time job a few years ago, so more than happy to help  :Y:

Tom

signature_zpsb7pcjmlp.png

Instagram @tspencerj - Can program Auto Windows, Unlock and Lock Alarm Chirps, Anti-Hijack in South of England

#16 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

What is the video you are editing going to be viewed on. Unless it's over 42" then I honestly think you are crunching 4K video unessisarily. That coupled with your computer being a bit slow, you'll be forever fighting it.

1080p is plenty good enough.

50 inches as I also think UHD on a small screen is pointless.Played on the telly it is full speed without any lag,and only lags on my PC when editing it.I'm not going to waste all this investment in 4K equipment just to say that half the resolution 'is plenty good enough'

Hi again how long is your video  if its say 4mins split it down to 30 sec segments then in each 30 sec segment do what you need to do  editing wise  then join it back into one file but you might have to extract the audio for each 30 sec segment at the same time so that you can keep the time lines

At the moment I'm just getting some practice in to make a some travel videos when I go errr.... travelling in the summer,but no more than about half an hour long for the finished product.It's a good idea,but I like to be able to quickly 'scrub' over the whole thing (I think that's the correct term?) just to get an idea of how it's going to look and sound before I play back at normal speed.Something I couldn't do if it's fragmented all over the place.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi Chris,

8GB of Ram is plenty for exporting/rendering video at 4k or 1080p. SSD is useful if you want OS/ program loading times reduced, but not really necessary for rendering/ average daily use.

You won't need a particularly flash graphics card either, you just need one that will take the strain off of your CPU.

A GTX 950 or 950Ti will suffice this, or you can go the AMD route, which offer better 'bang for your buck' from personal experience.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B01J1J7WOM

This is a slightly newer AMD equivilent, which has 2GB more VRAM (4GB total), which will be an improvement over the 950 rendering wise. It could also be considered more future proof than the 950, which is now a generation outdated already.

As for a PSU, a Corsair or EVGA unit is what I always go for - Good reputation and customer service, especially from EVGA. 

These two would be plenty for the AMD or NVIDIA card and the rest of your computer, and from the link to the motherboard you listed, they will be compatible.

- EVGA 500W (https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00H33SFJU)

-Cosair 550W (https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00TE4XSMA)

As RubberDuck mentioned, Novatech are a great little company, however I do find that their prices for brands other than themselves can be higher than amazon or other retailers.

Something that may help a tad for the time being is giving the computer a good clean! Get yourself a can of compressed air off the bay or amazon, turn off the computer at the powersupply switch on the back and remove some of the dust. You may be surprised how much of a difference it can make when your components have decent airflow, not dissimilar to a car I guess  :P

If you have any questions or anything shoot me a pm - I build PC's for friends and family all the time and used to as part time job a few years ago, so more than happy to help  :Y:

Tom

Thanks Tom,I will certainly keep all that in mind and may give you a shout if the need arises.

#17 JTriple6andSmurf

JTriple6andSmurf

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Golf IV GTI 2.0 8v APK 115PS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

My current PSU is only 250 watts,so will change it for one that's at least double that.I can't remember what the bitrate is,but it's only from a GoPro style Xiaomi Yi 4K and hasn't got as high a bit rate as cameras like the Sony have.I want to keep the workflow as simple as possible so will keep it at it's native settings unless all else fails.

I've spent the last week or so learning how to use the one editing program that seems to be the industry standard,so want to carry on using that unless it won't work without spending BIG money.

Errrmmm.... I'm sure that's very interesting :P ,but what would you recommend as a GPU upgrade ?for my PC

Titan X for sure but they mega money

#18 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Titan X for sure but they mega money

Titan X is rather outdated now, the new 1080ti or Fury X /r9295x2 is much better price for performance.

Everything depends on your budget and what you need to use it for, so varies person to person

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Instagram @tspencerj - Can program Auto Windows, Unlock and Lock Alarm Chirps, Anti-Hijack in South of England

#19 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

I hear you 100% chris... and if you've got a 4K camera then yes of course you want to use it, but you need to get a computer that is quick enough to process the video and its worth throwing some money at it. Editing video on a slow computer ball-ache.... full stop as you are finding out.

I did some 1080p videos for someone a few years ago on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo Mac with 8GB of ram, and that was fine. 4K video would have been a different matter entirely.

Are you sure the RAM is not paging to the disc?

I am not being Mr Negative-Kill-Joy here, and yes I can see a difference between 1080p and 4K, but to me its just not worth the extra processing power.... especially if you are on a budget computer wise. 

sigzort.jpg

#20 The Troll

The Troll

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15881 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Link.... might be useful..

https://forums.adobe.../thread/2122549

sigzort.jpg

#21 ypvs

ypvs

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • N Cambs

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

This site gives an easy comparison of any cards you may be considering.

http://gpuboss.com/g...GeForce-GTX-950

Check the dimensions against the space in your system as some cards are quite bulky

As for the PSU, go for a good brand (Corsair, OCZ) as the power ratings are not exaggerated like the cheaper brands. Also check the PCI-E power connector as you may need an 8-pin rather than  6-pin

A couple of internet suppliers I can recommend are Scan and CCL Computers

https://www.scan.co.uk/

https://www.cclonline.com/

#22 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

I hear you 100% chris... and if you've got a 4K camera then yes of course you want to use it, but you need to get a computer that is quick enough to process the video and its worth throwing some money at it. Editing video on a slow computer ball-ache.... full stop as you are finding out.

I did some 1080p videos for someone a few years ago on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo Mac with 8GB of ram, and that was fine. 4K video would have been a different matter entirely.

Are you sure the RAM is not paging to the disc?

I am not being Mr Negative-Kill-Joy here, and yes I can see a difference between 1080p and 4K, but to me its just not worth the extra processing power.... especially if you are on a budget computer wise. 

I am throwing money at it,hence the question to ask how to do it the  most efficiently :rolleyes: !

Link.... might be useful..

https://forums.adobe.../thread/2122549

Thanks for the link which I have read ALL of.So it seems that the exporting process doesn't really use the GPU and won't speed this process up very much,for that I have to optimise every part of my workflow.It's not a problem though as I can just leave it alone doing it's thing while I go and paint the garden or mow the cat or something  :new-chuckle: (but it'd still be nice if I could get it a bit faster).

#23 puggs

puggs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Gloucester, UK
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

How big are the files you are trying to process? How big is your pagefile currently?

The more RAM you have, the more the computer can keep things in RAM whilst processing rather than swapping to disk (ie using the pagefile).  

I'd also say you need to get off the spinning rust and buy an SSD - the difference in speed is like night and day!

Look at your motherboard manual and find the fastest CPU you can put in.

You'll definitely need a more powerful PSU to handle the extra hardware.

However... it might be cheaper to just buy a while new box?

#24 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

How big are the files you are trying to process? How big is your pagefile currently?

The more RAM you have, the more the computer can keep things in RAM whilst processing rather than swapping to disk (ie using the pagefile).  

I'd also say you need to get off the spinning rust and buy an SSD - the difference in speed is like night and day!

Look at your motherboard manual and find the fastest CPU you can put in.

You'll definitely need a more powerful PSU to handle the extra hardware.

However... it might be cheaper to just buy a while new box?

On average about 10-15 gb at a time so far.Thanks for your help,but the opinions on how much RAM is enough seems to be the cause of much discussion and some (including Adobe themselves) say 8gb is plenty while others suggest 16gb or even 32gb is always needed for editing big video files.My assumption is based on it using only just over half the available RAM when it's exporting these files.
I'm against buying a new PC because this is the only one of the last three that I bought that has been any good.The first two new ones had various problems from the very first time they were powered up,while this one hasn't missed a beat in over three years,so unless there's no other choice I'd like to hang onto this one for as long as possible.

#25 puggs

puggs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Gloucester, UK
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

On average about 10-15 gb at a time so far.Thanks for your help,but the opinions on how much RAM is enough seems to be the cause of much discussion and some (including Adobe themselves) say 8gb is plenty while others suggest 16gb or even 32gb is always needed for editing big video files.My assumption is based on it using only just over half the available RAM when it's exporting these files.

The more RAM the better ideally - if there's not enough, Windows will use the pagefile/HDD, which is considerably slower than RAM itself. I don't do video editing, but use other RAM intensive things - usually have one or two VM's running etc. It really does make a considerable difference to have more, and assuming the PSU is powerful enough, its not possible to have too much! (My main desktop has 64G, but its a recycled server from work so I didn't have to pay for it....)

If i was to buy a PC for anything more than web browsing these days, I'd spec it at 16G minimum. I also wouldn't use a HDD for anything other than storage - SSD's all the way now.

Understand where you're coming from regarding reliability - sometimes however you do just need to make the jump to newer technologies. Not sure what CPU you have exactly, but if thats running at 100% whilst encoding, I'd say it was worth looking into an upgrade - if its an older dual/quad core Pentium, you might find that you cant fit (physically) an i5 / i7 into the motherboard.

#26 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48916 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

Not sure what CPU you have exactly, but if thats running at 100% whilst encoding, I'd say it was worth looking into an upgrade - if its an older dual/quad core Pentium, you might find that you cant fit (physically) an i5 / i7 into the motherboard.

Dual core Pentium R G2030 @ 3Ghz in an LGA1155 socket.

So is the idea of an internal SSD that I export the rendered and finished files to it instead of the steam powered spinney disc thing,and doing it this way will be a LOT faster?

#27 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Exeter

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

I know Novatech as I've bought bits from them before.Surely the new GPU will have extra memory on board,why would extra RAM be needed if it only gets as high as 5 GB even when pushed flat out?

It's a Gigabyte mother board like this.....http://www.gigabyte....2-DVI-rev-10#ov,a 3 Ghz Pentium R dual core processor and 8GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM.

Based upon what you've said Image I'd say then that you should be fine for RAM, if at the top end its only using 5GB then its still got plenty to use if if required it, if you got yourself a new GPU (graphics) then you'd in most cases need a new PSU to go with it as the connections tend to change every year most GPU's these days require either a 4-pin or 6-pin to power them as well as connecting to the PCI-E slot on your board, something else that could come in handy to speed things up is a new HDD (hard drive) do you know what you currently have, and if so do you know its RPM? I find that since upgrading my stock hard drive to a SSD its made it run a lot quicker and recently I've purchesed a "Hybrid" hard drive  (No not like  Prius thing :P) thats currently in use with my laptop between pressing the button and it fully loading up it only takes about 3-4 seconds and to make programs start its really quick

23uzi1z.jpg

#28 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4853 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Near enough all drives are 7.2k unless they're network drives, and they'll be 10k.  

SSD FTW.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92

#29 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

Dual core Pentium R G2030 @ 3Ghz in an LGA1155 socket.

So is the idea of an internal SSD that I export the rendered and finished files to it instead of the steam powered spinney disc thing,and doing it this way will be a LOT faster?

An SSD is a form of flash storage, so it has no moving parts. This means you can have a much higher data transfer rate, making it much faster to open applications and launch OS. From my personal experience it has not improved rendering or exporting of video files, although I suppose you may see a slight increase in read/write performance.

Unless you are not worried about spending money I wouldn't upgrade to an SSD just for the hell of it, as it's not worth your while if you are just looking to decrease rendering time. You will also only be able to get a much smaller capacity SSD (180-240gb) for the same price as a 1tb or even a 2tb HDD. A 240gb SSD will set you back about £70 for a decent brand. Have a look at your HDD usage from task manager or a third party application whilst you are rendering and it will give you a sure answer on whether you should upgrade it or not. Do not expect to see a large increase in the performance of rendering if you buy one, as your storage platform is not the component having to process everything.

If you are going to upgrade to a GPU then expect to need to upgrade your PSU as well, as most pre-built PC's without a GPU as standard do not have 6 pin connectors coming of the PSU as standard (way of cutting costs).

The CPU architecture LGA1155 is now dead, and no further processors are being made (stopped sometime in 2015 I believe) so at some point you may need to change motherboard and CPU to accommodate for this, however if you want to upgrade your CPU and keep your current motherboard I'd recommend something along the lines of a i5-3570K. They are a LGA1155 chip, so will just be plug and play with your motherboard.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B007SZ0E1K

I've picked these up for as little as £25 on ebay and reddit, and they are really good little chips. Can handle a lot of stress on the stock cooler and perform well when overclocked as well.

Not sure how much they will set you back new, as I don't think they are sold by main suppliers anymore, but if it is £200+ then I'd recommend upgrading both CPU and motherboard to a newer architecture. An AMD motherboard and CPU combo in the newer generation can be had for less than £200 and all your current bits will be plug and play (provided its a ddr3 board). Intel may cost you closer a tad more, but steer clear of the sky lake architecture as it will require you to upgrade to ddr4 as well.

Tom

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#30 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Exeter

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Near enough all drives are 7.2k unless they're network drives, and they'll be 10k.  

SSD FTW.

There are still a whole shed load of 5400 drives for a fraction of the price, most companies who sell them still tend to hide the rpm figures :lol:

SSD and Hybrids deffently :D

Edited by Rubberduck1, 24 February 2017 - 02:06 PM.

23uzi1z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users