#61 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Dorset
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

You should be able to tell if it's USB 3.0 by the ports having blue bits inside. I don't think you can buy Adapters but you can get USB 3.0 pcie expansion cards, which from memory aren't too dear either. Worth a look at.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

signature_zpsb7pcjmlp.png

Instagram @tspencerj - Can program Auto Windows, Unlock and Lock Alarm Chirps, Anti-Hijack in South of England

#62 solaihs

solaihs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • UK, Bristol
  • Golf IV Match 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

You could buy something like a PCI USB 3 card like this 

#63 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks guys,guess I could have looked a bit harder  :whistle: ........

Think I'll order one of these as Novatech's delivery is ultra quick.........https://www.novatech...apter/m064.html

#64 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks guys,guess I could have looked a bit harder :whistle: ........

Think I'll order one of these as Novatech's delivery is ultra quick.........https://www.novatech...apter/m064.html

Novatechs own brand stuff is of a decent quality. Go for it 👍

Instagram @tspencerj - Can program Auto Windows, Unlock and Lock Alarm Chirps, Anti-Hijack in South of England

#65 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

A big thank you to Spencer's Speedy Computer Spares for sending me this for just the cost of postage.......

unnamed_zpsyzxgbysl.jpg

Be very afraid Novatech,be VERY VERY afraid :) !

#66 TspencerJ

TspencerJ

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

A big thank you to Spencer's Speedy Computer Spares for sending me this for just the cost of postage.......

unnamed_zpsyzxgbysl.jpg

Be very afraid Novatech,be VERY VERY afraid :) !

Glad it all arrived okay, shoebox was the best I could find at the time 😛

The one thing I forgot to let you know is that you'll need to buy some thermal compound to use between the cooler and the CPU. Should be less than £5 on Amazon.

Tom

#67 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Glad it all arrived okay, shoebox was the best I could find at the time

The one thing I forgot to let you know is that you'll need to buy some thermal compound to use between the cooler and the CPU. Should be less than £5 on Amazon.

Tom

Or an absolute bloody ripoff from Maplins if you're all excited and can't wait to order some for about a 500th of the price the daylight robbery store sell it for :angry: .

Soooooooooooooo it doesn't fit,the side cover won't go on.....

unnamed%201_zpsee20zhe1.jpg

Is this normal if you want to get such a big cooler in,or is my case too small and I need a larger one :unsure: ?

#68 solaihs

solaihs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • UK, Bristol

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Your case might be a tad too small, I wouldn't recommend filing the copper pipes down or anything either since they're usually hollow and filled with a phase change liquid that turns into a gas to help reduce temperature

#69 Dan FR

Dan FR

Meth addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2792 posts
  • Caerdydd
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Who needs side covers?  :lol-lol:

At this rate Chris you might as well have built a new PC..... :lol:

20160424_174354_1.jpg

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+ ...  :D PSN: PuntoGT031087. VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Logging, Coding, SKC retrieval & Immo work, MTE + Lit needles, Auto windows etc.. 1.9 TDI PD - Mapping & tweaking, LC, Popcorn etc

#70 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Your case might be a tad too small, I wouldn't recommend filing the copper pipes down or anything either since they're usually hollow and filled with a phase change liquid that turns into a gas to help reduce temperature

I wouldn't file them down anyway.I was going to take a jigsaw to the motherboard so it sits lower in the case :lol-lol: .

Who needs side covers?  :lol-lol:

At this rate Chris you might as well have built a new PC..... :lol:

I'm told that on the gaming forums the size of your cooler is proportional to your virility ;) .

The only reason I've gone so far with this one is that it's been the most reliable PC I've ever owned.Although now only the case,MOBO and hard drive are the original PC.I'll change the hard drive for SSD if some comes up cheap enough :rolleyes: ......

#71 solaihs

solaihs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • UK, Bristol

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

I'm told that on the gaming forums the size of your cooler is proportional to your virility ;) .

I'll just leave this ......

YVrHII0.jpg

#72 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

I'll just leave this ......

YVrHII0.jpg

I think I'd find another hobby if I had to listen to all those fans sounding like this while I was using it......

#73 solaihs

solaihs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • UK, Bristol

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Haha, I work from home so I'm a bit of a silence freak actually (while working anyway) those fans spin at around 200RPM and are barely audible.

Pretty much the main reason you get a giant heatsink as well, fans can run super slow and you still get low temperatures :) 

#74 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

Haha, I work from home so I'm a bit of a silence freak actually (while working anyway) those fans spin at around 200RPM and are barely audible.

Pretty much the main reason you get a giant heatsink as well, fans can run super slow and you still get low temperatures :)

That'd still be too noisy for me as I normally work at my PC in silence without the TV or any music playing,so even the quietest fans would be like Hollywood wind machines to me :new-chuckle: .

#75 ypvs

ypvs

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • N Cambs

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

You could do the equivalent of a 'supercharger bulge in the bonnet' with a little bit of metalworking and a baking tray :D

#76 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

You could do the equivalent of a 'supercharger bulge in the bonnet' with a little bit of metalworking and a baking tray :D

And maybe a Carbonio cold air intake from my back garden? :lol-lol:

#77 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

I borrowed this from the place next door to where I work that fixes laptops.......

unnamed_zpsir616llu.jpg

I need one of these permanently in my life! :wub:  Boot up time from off and connected to the internet has gone down from about 2 1/2 minutes with the old fashioned spinney thing to 20 seconds with this one :) .Everything works quicker (it could just be because it's a new install) and the export time for my 4 minute test video has gone down from the original 32 minutes to 12 minutes and now 9 minutes with this one for a 4K video at high bitrate.

#78 Dan FR

Dan FR

Meth addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2792 posts
  • Caerdydd
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

SSDs are a must these days Chris. Even if you run a smaller drive for the OS and your video editing, and a traditional HDD for storage once completed....

Difference is night and day

20160424_174354_1.jpg

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+ ...  :D PSN: PuntoGT031087. VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Logging, Coding, SKC retrieval & Immo work, MTE + Lit needles, Auto windows etc.. 1.9 TDI PD - Mapping & tweaking, LC, Popcorn etc

#79 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

It's on loan Dan,so I need to give it back next week.I'll buy something like a new 480/500 Gb SSD and run Windows and short term storage from that and use the old steam powered spinney disc thing for long term storage and hopefully that will be it with spending money on my PC :whistle: .......

#80 swaylight

swaylight

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Nottingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hi All,

New the the forum, recently got myself a mk4, but i've been a huge computer nerd since 11 years old, (32 now) :(

So i've been building for friends and family and upgrading and overlocking since the days of single core computers. first one i had was actually a pentium 2 lol. Noticed you've had some issues, wondered if there was anything i could give my two cents towards. 

Without knowing your spec to model numbers i wouldn't be able to give 100% info, but if it's for video editing usually that always gets offloaded to GPU these days. So would thing that would be a better suggestion. As for your ssd issues, just grab a decent but cheap ssd 120 gig for windows and main apps (240gig if you can spring to it) then you can usually just offload work to a decent 7200 rpm drive, I've used Western digital drives for 18 years now as i had far too many seagates failing. 

Anyways if you want any info i'm glad to lend a hand. I'm sure my golf will need some advice in the future :D

Dean

#81 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 48973 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Hi Dean and thanks for the advice.

I now have a quad core CPU,dedicated GPU with CUDA,750 watt power supply,an EVO 212 CPU cooler,and a 500 Gb Samsung SSD on it's way.Remember right at the beginning I said something about not spending any money on it :whistle: ....I lied!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users