Photo

White Smoke - Overfuelling - Diesel Smell

Best Answer seannyboy , 20 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

!!!Update!!!...

Pulled the rocker cover off to fit the seals and #3 injector parted company with the spring when I released the tension off the adjustment screws.  I replaced it with a used injector, changed all the seals, re-adjusted the injector lash and put everything back together.  I took the car for a 30 mile run and checked it with VCDS. On Block 13 - #2 and #3 cylinders were +-0.30 but cylinders #1 and #4 were over +2.00.  Next morning a lot less white smoke and greatly reduced smell of diesel.  Finally changed #1 and #4 injectors and the issue is now totally gone.  All cylinders are reading +-.30 and the car is running like a mouse's heart.  White smoke and diesel smell has completely gone and the car just returned 570 miles on a full tank of diesel. Plus she's pulling like a 150 should.. :D  :D  :D ..

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hi Currently working on a Bora Tdi 150 2003 with 165k on the clock.  Issue is white smoke at start up from cold as well as when left idling for a few minutes when warm and a strong smell of diesel from the exhaust.  Scanned with Vag-Com and no faults found.  Injector 1 on block 13 is reading over +2.00 the rest are within +- 0.50.  No performance issues, not losing coolant and is not using any oil.  I have checked the EGR cooler and does not appear to be any leaks.

Anyone any ideas on this one??

Planned to do a diesel purge next week and maybe injector seals on #1.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5544 posts
  • Suffolk
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

dirty injector or warn injector.... time to try a cleaner but it is best to take it out and have it professionally cleaned, tested and calibrated to manufacturers spec.

could also be that it isn't seated well but all in all best to try a cleaner first.  

#3 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yeah North Pole.. next plan of action is diesel purge, injector #1 seals, then replace injector #1.

One other thing. injectors #3 and #4 are reading over +2.00 when started from cold but settle down to +- 0.50 when warmed up so might do the seals in them too.

I will update when I get it fixed...

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#4 fv1200

fv1200

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Bristol BS16 7AE
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I was surprised with the price for the injector seals at £33.34 @VW Heritage Bristol.
Anyone else know a cheaper place to source the PD injector seals?

Based in Bristol i can activate Auto-Windows with Fob - Miles to Empty - Lit Needles - Welcome Message - SKC Retrival - Key & Cluster Coding.You can find me HERE

VWGolfR32_zpsb6306885.jpg

#5 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Ebay doing Bosch for £27.50 for a set of four or £7.50 each.  I have used them before and they are fine.  Best to change the injector bolts too £3.00 each from VW..  link below..

http://www.ebay.co.u...4T8AAOSwYIhWlPz~

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#6 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Liqui Molly diesel purge completed yesterday and car is certainly smoother with more urgency and better throttle response.  A lot less white smoke this morning and the car is definitely not as smelly of diesel.  I did notice on block 13 VCDS that injector #1 was a little bit erratic with the values jumping around between +0.5 and +2.1.  Now I'm def gonna do the injector seals with new bolt and holder on #1.

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#7 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:38 PM   Best Answer

!!!Update!!!...

Pulled the rocker cover off to fit the seals and #3 injector parted company with the spring when I released the tension off the adjustment screws.  I replaced it with a used injector, changed all the seals, re-adjusted the injector lash and put everything back together.  I took the car for a 30 mile run and checked it with VCDS. On Block 13 - #2 and #3 cylinders were +-0.30 but cylinders #1 and #4 were over +2.00.  Next morning a lot less white smoke and greatly reduced smell of diesel.  Finally changed #1 and #4 injectors and the issue is now totally gone.  All cylinders are reading +-.30 and the car is running like a mouse's heart.  White smoke and diesel smell has completely gone and the car just returned 570 miles on a full tank of diesel. Plus she's pulling like a 150 should.. :D  :D  :D ..

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#8 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5544 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

if you still have your old injectors.... i would have them refurbished and fitted with bigger nozzles ;) a power hike isn't a bad thing especially not if you have oem injectors

#9 seannyboy

seannyboy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, Def be a good idea but I don't know of anyone in N.I that refurbish or upgrade them!!

MkIV Golf TDi 150

#10 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5544 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Projectpower should be able to sort you out.... look it up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk