2 replies to this topic

#1 minny

minny

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Golf VI GT TSI 1.4 160PS DSG

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

I've just purchased a 2009 58k miles 1.4 Twincharger DSG Golf with the CAVD engine. I know these engines can develop timing chain faults at any mileage so would like some advice. I have noticed that approximately 1 out of 10 times when i start the car (either warm or cold), there is a rattle that sounds like the timing chain rattle lasting about 1 second until the tensioner pressures up. The car has a full VW dealer service history and has been serviced yearly with Longline oil. I've just done a full service using original VW filters and Castrol Edge 5W-30 504.00/507.00 oil but the problem persists. The engine is running sweetly otherwise and 9 out of 10 times it starts with no rattle. Is this normal for this engine or should i get it looked at? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 grit

grit

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • herts
  • Golf VI SE TSI 1.4 122PS

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

hi minny 

there is some issues with the mk6 TSI timing tensioner rather than the chain. And there has been a few replacement tensioners over the years I had my one change some years ago ( at some cost ) but still get this rattle on cold star ups once warm it disappears .you say you was aware of this before you purchased the car did you look at the service records to see if yours had been change . the set up of these engines lets the timing chain go slack when cold because the oil which pushes the tensioner out is not under pressure once running all slack is taken up . one point that you must never do is leave it in gear when parked because if it rolls the slack chain could miss a link then when you start the engine its goodbye Vienna . vw has now gone back to belts rather than chain on the mk7.

so I would see if yours has had the replacement tensioner in the first place good luck

grit

Grit 122 tsi

#3 minny

minny

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Golf VI GT TSI 1.4 160PS DSG

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will check with the dealer if it has had the tensioner changed. I knew about not leaving it in gear and thankfully being a DSG that is one less thing to have to remember, though there is then the DQ200 box to worry about. At least mine had a replacement box fitted at 25k miles, 6 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users