Photo

Anyone else feel their car is a money pit?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

So I ve got a daily mkiv 1.8t and that doesn't give me grief , but the anniversary that I use now and again is kill my wallet at the min , first off Jan mot(few bits can live with) tax insurance, then Feb it decides to start losing gears , g-box out rebuild new clutch and top mounts , now it's decided to spring a leak from the steering rack , so goes out to jack ot up to confirm and now got a puncture,

So what to do ? Quick rack ? Exchange one ? Second hand? Just wondering whilst the subframe off what else to change ? Rear wishbone mounts ?

#2 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5287 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

You do realise that it's over 14 years old? Suspension is always a given, infact, a must at this age IMO. A puncture? C'mon, you can't use that as an excuse to get rid.

The 02m is a strong box. Selector fork failure? Still, it happens. They need maintenance; it happens with any car. There's no point in getting rid because you needed top mounts and a tyre..

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92
Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread.

#3 adam-

adam-

K04-064'd 1.8t

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5287 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

*I read that post like you wanted to get rid, sorry.

Get a stock second hand rack. Quick rack will cause issues with ESP.

facebook.com/adamforbes92
ig: adamforbes92
Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread.

#4 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Sometimes I do , but when it does work I think oh I keep it for a little longer , then I get another sting , I guess it doesn't help it modified a bit too ,
Just makes he laugh it's always 200-300 quid every month , lol
December was a cracked alloy and two tyres ,
Still got a air con compressor to do as the pulley seized in the summer ,

#5 barrym381

barrym381

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Anything with t:ts or wheels will cost you money I'm in a similar situation with my 1.8t and think it's now time to get rid of it due to lack of use

#6 Stonedofmoo

Stonedofmoo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Portsmouth, UK.
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

I dunno, most the expense on mine is me changing stuff that others probably wouldn't bother with. I hope to keep mine going at least until they start to go up in value :)

PD230: Turbo Dynamics Stage 2 turbo, Bobby Singh remap. 230bhp/340lbs torque

#7 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

It makes me laugh my daily got a bucket load more miles on it (modified too) and it just keeps going , with just service items ,

#8 Minimatt

Minimatt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Ipswich
  • Bora S 1.6 16v AUS 105PS

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

I have in the past thought this but i was a bit spoilt in the past as my previous car for 9 years was a Honda which i sold 5 years ago, that car was at the time older than my bora is now and the only real issue was a bit of rust, no engine lights no runinig issues no suspension or brake problems in the 60k i did in it and when sold it had 133k on it and ran like new.

Guess what brand my next car may well be!

My dads just got rid of his 2013 passat after only having it a year due to too many problems with it (70k on the clock) The shortest i have known him to own a car! Egr valve packed up, vw wanted £1100 to fix so he took it to an independant, then the waterpump started leaking so he has traded it in for or a nearly new one which has at least got a 3 year warranty!

#9 jamesm86

jamesm86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • South Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

The mk4 platform is now at least 13/14 years old and there are bound to be components starting to fail and they will need a constant tlc. It's just life. Can keep spending the money and keep it running forever more or just draw the line and say I've jade enough. Could end up with a newer car and still need to fork out all the time, unless you get brand new and trade every 3 years

#10 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts
  • Aylesbury
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Life is one big pit. Enjoy the ride on the way down.... 

People on here with receipts for thousands and thousands of pounds for cars worth less than a new ford Fiesta.

What would you rather drive?

'Never test the depth of the water with both feet'

#11 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1618 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Yes, at one point it became cheaper to buy another car for twice the price of mine, insure it, fix it and drive it for a year. So I did, now I've sold it, and now I'm back at my car, been 2 days, flipper is showing temper again. God I flipping hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 SpoilsburyToastboy

SpoilsburyToastboy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

The car turning into a money pit is something we have to look our for now with Mk4 Golfs as they are very old cars now. Mine is 15 years old and I'm slowly going through the car replacing things which have worn due to age and the 185k miles.

#13 Stonedofmoo

Stonedofmoo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Portsmouth, UK.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Mind you guys, you all say this working on the assumption that a new car is more reliable than an old one, and it will be as cheap or cheaper to fix, which in my mechanics opinion in rubbish.

He would argue from real world experience that modern cars cost more to fix when they go wrong, and are more complex to work on and they are often over engineered in attempts to meet ever stringent environmental restrictions. The MK4 is a blunt tool compared to the modern cars, and that makes it pretty easy to work on.

PD230: Turbo Dynamics Stage 2 turbo, Bobby Singh remap. 230bhp/340lbs torque

#14 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts
  • Aylesbury

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Mind you guys, you all say this working on the assumption that a new car is more reliable than an old one, and it will be as cheap or cheaper to fix, which in my mechanics opinion in rubbish.

He would argue from real world experience that modern cars cost more to fix when they go wrong, and are more complex to work on and they are often over engineered in attempts to meet ever stringent environmental restrictions. The MK4 is a blunt tool compared to the modern cars, and that makes it pretty easy to work on.

And there's no better feeling than fixing something yourself!

#15 Ceedark

Ceedark

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • London

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Old cars require fixing more often, new cars cost more to fix. It's always going to be a trade off.

My Mk4 will be 16 this year. The money I'd spend getting it to last another 16 years is probably still cheaper than buying something new that will also be a money pit when it gets old. Cycle continues. 

We're at the point where cars this old are modern enough that they don't really rust structurally, so as long as parts are available, they'll keep going forever.

Age is just a number  ;) I don't see the Mk2 boys complaining.

Just trying to build my idea of a clean Mk4.

#16 JakeMcC

JakeMcC

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Northern Ireland

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

If you do most of the maintenance yourself you save a ton of money. The Mk4 platform is a great learning tool, before starting work on mine I hadn't worked on a car before in my life and I've now replaced the entire front suspension setup, bushes, wishbones, the lot. The more goes wrong the more you learn. I think of it as if I were to do an automotive maintenance course at the local tech college it'd cost me the same as I've spent on my car anyway!

#17 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Cars are expensive to run, be they old or new.  The exceptions are rare and desirable classics where their value can increase over time.

Running an old car can be cheaper than a newer car even with a few extra visits to a garage each year.  The hidden cost of running a newer car is depreciation, after the first three years it normally settles down to losing around £1,000 each year.  A newer car will still need general servicing and they also give unexpected repair bills.

My AHF MK4 based car (Leon) is 14 years old and has been very reliable over the 11 years I’ve owned it.  It’s worth next to nothing but still suits my needs and I’m in no rush to replacement it.  So after servicing myself for the last couple of years, I’m going to treat it to a garage visit soon.  It’s due a cambelt change and I’ll get the garage to check/change things like the vacuum and coolant hoses.  The bill could be more than the car is worth but in my situation I feel it’s worth investing the money.

But it can be a difficult call to say when a car is turning into a money pit.   For me it would be the risk of breaking down or the inconvenience of taking it to a garage too often.  Not just the cost of it repairs that would push me into replacing it.   

#18 garethwood

garethwood

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

i HATE new cars! you spend all your time plugged into a bloody laptop, which would be fine if the tech head pressing the bottons could actually tell you which of its 100 sensors is at fault but most of the time they cant and end up guessing from 1fault code to the next. costing a bloody fortune. ill happily work on the mechanical failings of an old car over the nuisance computerized crap of new cars. ive got a mazda 3 that my wife drives and i hate the thing.. just my 2 pence : )

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#19 Rg_

Rg_

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

My 1.8t is pretty reliable and hasn't costed me too much in maintenance over the 3 years I have owned it where I do my own services and whatever I can myself.
My issue is the modding game. It's like how far do you go on a car only worth £1000. Every time I spend a bit on my car I think about the low value of it and I could just be paying monthly for something fully loaded out of the box. At the same time I don't want to be tied into a finance deal for years which is why I stick with my car. And I do love my 1.8t but sometimes begrudge spending money on it.

#20 nick_v5

nick_v5

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Oswestry
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Prior To This MK4 i had a

• 1986 Defender 90 - this seemed to need something doing to it, fixing, repairing every other month, that was a money pit. Although it was lovely and very old
  • RX8 - people always said this was an expensive and prone to failure car. Apart from the MPG (19!!!!) and the tax (£525!!!) it was faultless

#21 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3426 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Life is one big pit. Enjoy the ride on the way down....

People on here with receipts for thousands and thousands of pounds for cars worth less than a new ford Fiesta.

What would you rather drive?

Funnily enough I've
had a Fiesta as a loan car for 3 weeks while the insurers decided on the fate of my crashed Golf 5. It's a nice little car in many ways but no character and I've only got 30mpg (petrol) from it. Cant wait to get my Golf back to repair myself tomorrow!

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#22 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts
  • Aylesbury

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

I do occasionally miss my MK1 Ford Focus for it's handling but in no way did it inspire me like my Golf has  :Y:

Money well (thrown) spent!

#23 Smudger_130/4MO

Smudger_130/4MO

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Herefordshire

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

I am breaking a V6 and the rack on it doesn't seem to have any leaks. Pm if your interested in it at all

Personally I would just keep it ticking over and spend a little here and there and keep it on the road, you say the daily has less issues maybe use your anni a little more so all the moving parts actually move quite often lol
😡Never argue with an idiot!...... They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience😡

#24 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Got a new one and new arm , ball joints , a mate done it ,also topped my top mounts and poly bushes as he was bored , 200 quid sat in his lock up , lucky as I came out last night to someone throw paint over my daily, the police haven't even turned up yet , told me to leave paint on there as evidents haha joke ,

#25 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13900 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Ha ha ha money pits.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#26 themorganator4

themorganator4

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

I was spending 300 a month in a hire purchase fiesta st. U got rid and got myself a 01 bora. As long as it costs me less than 300 a month I'm winning haha.

It also runs on bio diesel so I'm saving 70p a litre too ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#27 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

Got a new one and new arm , ball joints , a mate done it ,also topped my top mounts and poly bushes as he was bored , 200 quid sat in his lock up , lucky as I came out last night to someone throw paint over my daily, the police haven't even turned up yet , told me to leave paint on there as evidents haha joke ,

Police never turned up only rung up and oh we won't know who did it , but since it all cleaned off doesn't really matter, like the anniversary still in his lock up

#28 Airone

Airone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

All cars are money pits..

Try a brand new motor they brake down whilst your paying for it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users