Tom3593

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devon
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

Hi guys

Okay so I have noticed when I'm in 4th and only 4th I can feel a slight vibration in the gearstick ?? Any ideas

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 phshf

phshf

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

Can you see the gearstick shaking or can you only feel it?

#3 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3426 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Bit difficult to give any proper diagnosis without a bit more description. I'm assuming your car detailis are correct and it's a manual box. Any response to phshf questions

Ify ou've no problemswith noisy gears or changes it might be somthing as simple as adjusting the change mechanism

The Mk5 uses a couple of cables ( bit like glorified versions of bicycle brake cables) between the gearhift and the change mechanism on the gearbox and they can sometimes lose adjustment. There should be a little play in the cables when a gear is selected and if t is missing vibration can transfer from the box through the cables to the stick.

Adjutment isn't particulaly difficultand there are  loads of articles and videos floating about

#4 thinkpad

thinkpad

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Strangley enough my 2005 Golf 1.6 FSI does exactly the same on 4th gear. It only vibrates upto about 50mph, above that it stops vibrating. It hasn't bothered me enough to get it fixed but my thoughts are that it is either the linkages need re-setting or the gearbox mount is on the way out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users