• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Nottingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hi All,

New to the forum, so a quick hello :D

Right as my title suggests CATS!!!!

Does anyone know of a good way to keep them away from your pride and joy (car) lol

Basically moved into a house a few months back, Girlfriends golf 1.6 has always been on the drive and we know there are around 4 Cats that seem to have taken a liking to our garden. My girlfriends car has had it's fair amount of scratches added by passes by and a hit and drive a while back in a pub car park with no cameras.... well none that was recording....

so we've not really bothered about looking for any new ones....

However i recently brought myself a mk4 golf 1.8t gti, i came back today to find 2 cats sat on it. After attempting to get out the car quietly they jumped and ran. Upon inspection I've got about 5 scratches in 1 day, some look like they have tried to use the front arches to climb, some look like they used the car to jump off. 

My question, is there any way of keeping them away from the car? It took me 6 months to track down the model i wanted in decent condition for a cat(s) to just use it as a climbing frame.... 

Before anyone mentions it i know who the cats belong to (crazy cat lady next door) however going round and mentioning it, just gave me a mouthful of they are cats and they will do what they want... I only advised that they have already clawed my MK2 golf which was in repair, but now needs a paint job with the deep scratches. 

Anyways i've gone on long enough now. but i'm sure you can all understand my pain. 

Dean.

#2 Calico

Calico

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

There are sonic noise thing to scare them not tried as i have my own cats. they dont like moth balls or orange / lemon peel.

#3 Edvardo

Edvardo

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Aylesbury
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

De-cat?  :facepalm:

Sorry

Those super sonic things are good though

'Never test the depth of the water with both feet'

#4 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

It's not the orange lemon peel but the citrus smell itself. Anyway, the lady is right, cats will do what they want. Get used to it, by the way I haven't seen cats scratching cars. Are you sure it's not neighbors doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 swaylight

swaylight

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Nottingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

HI All,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen the sonic things, but a friend of mine mention his next door neighbour got some and my friends cat never came home... so i wouldn't like to do that to the neighbour however much the cats annoy me. 

I'll try out the citrus sent. wondering if i could put some in a container around the wheels with a few holes in so it doesn't get blown away or look like i'm using my car as a compost heap lol. 

I'm pretty much sure it's the cats catching them sat on the car and the fact my car is so far up the drive it's basically in the back garden. So no where near neighbours or passes by.

#6 TomasLT

TomasLT

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Or pour a tiny bit of "valerian" (not sure it translates right?) drops around somewhere the cats could muck about (tree?). They love that shoot, they'll rub that tree down, I guarantee. You happy, cats are happy, everyone's happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TomasLT, 20 April 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#7 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5544 posts
  • Suffolk
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

or just plant some catnip a little bit away from your car....

#8 Rubberduck1

Rubberduck1

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Exeter
  • Golf IV Match 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

I've got one of those Ultra-Sonic devices that goes off it a cat breaks the sensor, and it works like a treat! if you were to get one and potion it at the start of your drive or where ever the cats are coming in and it would keep them out for good, either that or buy a water pistol and shoots the cats as soon as you see them sitting on your pride and joy ;)

23uzi1z.jpg

#9 jamesm86

jamesm86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1494 posts
  • South Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

Have you considered getting a car cover? Might seem a pain having to put it on and off but will protect from cats and will keep the car dry and dust free too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users