Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Audi A6 1.9 Tdi Avant - Bargefam - Merc Wheels/lows

60K views 866 replies 78 participants last post by  bullawayo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

Im Matt, an Engineer living in Hampshire. Im quite well known on a few other VW forums (namely clubpolo & Golf3) and have owned plenty of VWs. Always had a bit of a thing for Boras so managed to find myself one with...

FSH

Cambelt done @89k

Mint paint

For the bargain of 700 quid!!! Its on a 2000 plate. Anyway ive started playing with it and will continue to update this as and when I do bits and bobs, its pretty boring at the moment but i've got some pics of it how it stands since ive mopped it and cleaned it.

So far all ive done is carbon wrap the badge, and added LED sidelights.

also, lol@the towbar!

Ordered so far:

VW number plate surrounds

Coilovers

Service kit

DSC_02545.jpg

DSC_02534.jpg

DSC_02512.jpg

DSC_02501.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

And finally the horrendous, soon to be changed interior:

DSC_0255.jpg

[drool]

And a couple of my old cars...

DSC_0334.jpg

166607_1649288765009_1620660041_1503482_

SNV30667.jpg

Let the fun begin! Also hi everyone!

See less See more
#4 ·
Which coilovers have you ordered mate?
Only some ebay jobbies. Had them on my mk4 golf though with the helpers out and they were actually quite good! Been doing a bit more today as I finished work a little earlier than expected...

Posted Image

Picture of it in the sun!

Also discovered I need a new bonnet latch, so ordered one from VW...should be here in the next couple of days. Using a cable tie for the time being! :)

Painted my engine cover...

Posted Image

Recieved number plate surrounds and a couple o stickasss

Posted Image

Posted Image

YES CABLE TIE

Posted Image

Posted Image

Should be getting my coilovers today aswell!

#7 ·
Sooo I lowered the front end last night and have ended up with loads of issues..

Tried doing it in the dark which isnt ideal and basically now ive ended up with the nearside topmount sticking out further than it should do, all I can think is that maybe I put the top mount back together wrong :(

Also drove it to work today with just the front end lowered and the steering is loose, plus the mpg reader is all over the place. What could this be? A service lights also appeared - saying "check brake pads" which wasnt coming up before. I havent nicked any of the brake lines or anything, no idea what it could be.

Any ideas? I need help :(

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply man! Ill definatly check that out later.

Not in a position to get a pic right now but basically it sounds proud of the turret in the engine bay about 2cm. It didnt do that until obviously I let the car off the jack and the weight was back on the suspension. Its inevitably causing the car to drive like shit though, the suspensions therefore uneven and it knocks as its "loose" almost.

#10 ·
I might be wrong... But, it could be that the lower nut which goes on the top first has not been done tight enough, so sits too high, meaning the rest of the parts all sit higher than they should? If it's not that, it could be the topmount is upside down but pictures would definitely help, when you can get the time :)

Toby.

#12 ·
I might be wrong... But, it could be that the lower nut which goes on the top first has not been done tight enough, so sits too high, meaning the rest of the parts all sit higher than they should? If it's not that, it could be the topmount is upside down but pictures would definitely help, when you can get the time :) Toby.
Thanks man ill have a look at that later! Just popped outside for a *** and took a pic...

Posted Image

Going round my mates house tonight who has a garage with every tool I need so hopefully ill solve it. Does anyone have a pic of how the topmount assembles?

#15 ·
Finally got the fronts sorted this weekend. Had put the topmounts back together wrong hahaha :)

Went to fit the rears after getting all the suspension out and realised I didnt have the adjuster rings for the rear offside. FUUUU! haha. So got on the phone to Mr Ebay and hes sending one out for me today so I can finally get it low. Seems to be taking forever!

Also been looking at some staggered wheels [:cool:]

And finally a terrible phone photo of how the fronts sittiing until I can sort the rear and adjust it all!

Posted Image

#18 ·
Yea got the replacement part on the way now. Cant wait. Drives a bit funny just nose down but all will be sorted soon.

Tried sanding down my headlights aswell to get rid of the cloudyness. Didnt work. This they are aftermarket units as is the bumper, looks like its hand a ding in the past. Need to find some 2nd hand/new VW headlights as these ones are annoying me

#20 ·
Ill try that mate, i think its just cause they are cheap shitty aftermarket ones. I went through all the stages upto 1200 and it still looks so shit. haha!

Right, got the rear lowered tonight after my ebay finally delivered the part I needed (adjuster rings for the back). Well I say that, I thought I needed them and then just decided to put the rears in without the helpers. Heres some pics of what ive been upto! Need to sort out the reverse rake tomorrow :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spot the gangster bricks :) I broke my axle stand lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

My mate G-A(y)drian

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ta Da!

As said ill sort the reverse rake out tomorrow. Also need to see how it drives so low. lol.

#22 ·
Yea been looking at various options. Whatever happens itll definatly be staggered/spaced out at the rear.

Theres some wheels I know will look good, then some wheels I love which are different but I may try and pull off. Dont know yet. One of my favourite wheels ever is this one:

[URL=http://www.wheelworx.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Inovit-STVI-gunmetal.jpg]http://www.wheelworx.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Inovit-STVI-gunmetal.jpg[/URL][\IMG]

Minus the sticker. Gunna have a little photoshopping session and see what looks good.

Also, were you on the m25 this morning? I swear I saw ur car! At like 6:30am?

#23 ·
Yea been looking at various options. Whatever happens itll definatly be staggered/spaced out at the rear.

Theres some wheels I know will look good, then some wheels I love which are different but I may try and pull off. Dont know yet. One of my favourite wheels ever is this one:

[URL=http://www.wheelworx.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Inovit-STVI-gunmetal.jpg]http://www.wheelworx.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Inovit-STVI-gunmetal.jpg[/URL][\IMG]

Minus the sticker. Gunna have a little photoshopping session and see what looks good.

#24 ·

Posted Image

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.