#1 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I have, via an Audi Forum, downloaded the Golf MK7's instruction manual (48MB) and reading through it, as best as one can, this car seems far to complex for its own good. There is a section on CCS, ACC and Speed limiter and for the life of me, as yet can't see how these are all integrated.

It seems that most of the controls are duplicated on the left hand stalk as well as the MF steering wheel which again seems to have too many little button in close proximity.

Then we go on to Auto Hold which has to be activated every time you use the car unless you have remembered to pull up the switch before you turn off the ignition..............and so it goes on and on explaining all the laws governing how this, the ebrak and Stop/Start system work. My head is still buzzing by it all and makes me really wonder whether I can be arsed with all this unnecessary complexity in my next Golf.

The link is at https://dl.dropbox.c...ners Manual.pdf

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#2 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Cannot get the link to work .

Which particular Audi forum did you download from Marvin ?

#3 trl

trl

No longer a Dubber

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8211 posts
  • Cambs
  • Other Models

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

You'll probably find it all makes a lot more sense once you're sat in the car. I'd 'hope' that VW's ergonomics experts will have laid out the controls in something approaching a logical arrangement, and that all switches and buttons will be a breeze to use. 

Tony

#4 Derpins

Derpins

Department of Cheeseburger Consumption

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5677 posts
  • MURICA
  • Golf VI GTI 2.0 210PS

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Link doens't work for me either, but I'd be interested to see the manual if you can get it to work!  Or find the link from the Audi forum.

KLsig_zpsisuek4rz.png

Malaise era is best era.

#5 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cannot get the link to work .

Which particular Audi forum did you download from Marvin ?

Try bottom few posts on this Audi forum page then. Post No 5 I think, here.

http://www.audi-spor...pdf-format.html

#6 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

You'll probably find it all makes a lot more sense once you're sat in the car. I'd 'hope' that VW's ergonomics experts will have laid out the controls in something approaching a logical arrangement, and that all switches and buttons will be a breeze to use. 

Tony

The section concerning CCS, ACC and distance control are all confusing to me especially as the same controls are used to set them. I understand CCS or Cruise Control as I have that but Automatic distance control and activation and distance limiter are all too confusing at the moment especially trying to read through it.

#7 trl

trl

No longer a Dubber

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8211 posts
  • Cambs
  • Other Models

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I won't bother repeating my previous post. 

#8 Gordon A

Gordon A

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Just drive the car, own the car and worry about the manual when you get really stuck!  Mine's still tucked away 'til I find something that stumps me and isn't intuitive!

Auto Hold remembers whatever state you left it in by the way and ACC is wonderful for a demo, approaching traffic in front, with no feet on the pedals and with passengers who really do wonder if the car will brake in time.  Which it does, by the way, as I guess you'd know if you've read in the manual!

Stick to the 'complexity' of the MK6 if you're in any doubt.

#9 lucamag

lucamag

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Barton-Upon-Humber, Lincolnshire
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I use a MK7 GT TDI pretty much daily as our work 'pool' car.  All of the technology works really well and having used an A4 with the electronic break for a while, I am more than used to the so called dreaded ebreak.

I really am a fan of the MK7.

GTI%20Sig_zpsoju2l3oo.jpg

Golf MKV GTI 200PS DSG - Xenon's, Sunroof, Heated Leather, MFD2 Nav, Cruise, Highline MFD,

Rear Park Sensors, 6 CD Changer, Electric Mirrors @lmagnocavallo

#10 Shib 47

Shib 47

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Peterborough
  • Other Models

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

I have had Golfs mark 5 and 6 over the last 9 years or so and during my most recent problem with the mark 6 I had a Mark 7 courtesy car. No one showed me how to use the brake or other bits but got used to the brake within 20 minutes.

#11 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Somewhere in the South West...
  • Other Models

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I dont think any of the controls are duplicated from the stalk to the steering wheel.

The section on the cruise control etc does sound confusing when you're just reading about it, as are most things, but once you have the controls they are extremely simple to use. To set the distance, you just press the middle button and then you press either + or -

The car as a whole is actually pretty straight forward. Yes, it's full of technology which sounds confusing when you're reading the manual, but it's a joy to drive and simple.

Also, autohold is a brilliant addition. I dont see why you would switch it off apart from when you're parking and it comes on. All it does is what you would do when you stop somewhere and hold the brakes on for you. It also automatically puts the hand-brake on for you when you switch off the car/take your seatbelt off/open a car door as well. Some people complain about it being a bit jerky when they set off, but this is likely to be partially down to driving style. You just have to release the clutch a bit before putting your foot on the accellerator so that it releases. Easy!

Why dont you just give it a go if you're worried about anything.

Thanks, Paul
Main car: Pure White 3dr Mk7 Golf GTI DSG

2nd Car: Red B8 Audi A4 Avant Technik 170

#12 johanr77

johanr77

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

You more or less forget about the handbrake after a day of using the car. Comes on automatically when you stop, comes off automatically when you move the clutch and accelerator.

Have a test drive and if you don't like it buy something else.

#13 S3 AKR

S3 AKR

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Colchester, Essex
  • Other Models

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

I picked up my car on Friday and have not used any of these toys previously - I hand't even driven one before (and I have never done that in any of the 45 cars I've had). The whole lot is very intuitive and easy to suss out very quickly - I have yet to open the manual. Take one for an extended test drive. As was said earlier - the autohold is excellent and stays in the same position as when last used, the steering buttons are not duplicates of stalk functions, and ACC (cruise control) is properly awesome.

2003 Mini Cooper S - 17% Pulley Reduction, Bluefin (....yeah, I know!). Fun station car!!

2012 Leon Supercopa CR170 - Linea Grille, Satin black BBS wheels - selling after Xmas!!

2014 Golf R - 5 door, Manual, Lapiz blue, Sat-Nav

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.