#1 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

I have read through the user's manual as obtained from an Audi forum. This is a manual that was scanned by someone and hence is not very clear, literally and may not be complete..

However can people here explain the Adaptive Cruise Control function which I see as a addition to the ordinary Cruise Control and then there is Speed Limiter. All these things all dealt with but not very clearly and there seems ot be an awful lot of it s elected by either the direction stalk or controls on the multifunction Steering Wheel. Presumably the controls are not duplicated on the direction stalk if your car has the MF steering wheel.

I presume you can use ordinary CC as I do and then switch on ACC and determine what length from vehicle in front, you want to keep.

Does anyone have practica experience of these so-called driver aids?

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#2 Jimble

Jimble

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

A little video of it in use, i think you set your maximum speed and distance and if the car in front moves out of the way the car will accelerate up to your maximum set speed.

#3 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thanks.

#4 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

A little video of it in use, i think you set your maximum speed and distance and if the car in front moves out of the way the car will accelerate up to your maximum set speed.

That's some fairly rapid cruising going on there Big Smile

Its a clever system though and must be one of the only cars to get as standard 

#5 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Has anyone use the Speed Limiter facility, where you set a speed beyond which the car won't go unless you floor the accelerator pedal. Supposed to be used to keep car from exceeding, say, certain speed limits?

#6 Jimble

Jimble

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Not sure if you've seen this video Marvin, it gives a good overview of the new features.

I quite like the idea of the ACC but i'm not sure about the front assist.

#7 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

'

Not sure if you've seen this video Marvin, it gives a good overview of the new features.

I quite like the idea of the ACC but i'm not sure about the front assist.

Thanks for that, it was very useful and saves a thousand confusing users' manual's words!'

#8 radox

radox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • York, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

I got a Mk 7 Golf SE 1.4 TSI as a courtesy car yesterday whilst my Mk 5 was in for a repair and I was very impressed by it.

I found the cruise control with Automatic Distance Control (ADC), Speed Limiter and electronic hand brake with Auto Hold only took a little while to get used to and then they all worked flawlessly!

On the SE, you control the cruise control via controls on the multifunction steering wheel rather than via the indicator stalk. In addition to the usual controls for cruise there's a dedicated button to select between one of four pre-defined ADC following distances. There are also two little chrome buttons surrounding it which enable you to change the set target speed. Finally, there's one last dedicated button which switches between Cruise Control mode and Speed Limiter mode. In Speed Limiter mode, the cruise control only cuts in if you try to exceed the set maximum speed, except in an emergency.

I didn't spot a way of turning off the ADC but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a setting somewhere. If there isn't, you could just set the ADC to the shortest possible following distance and then it would only adjust your car's cruise speed if you accidently got really close behind a vehicle in front.

I loved all the new tech and found it all very well designed and as easy to use as I could imagine. However, I appreciate that not everyone may be so fond. There are so many customisable options via the setup menu on the radio/media system you might find you will be able to turn off those automatic features which you prefer to control yourself.

You can read my full review of the Mk 7 Golf at http://www.stuartdal...eview/index.php if you are interested.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

#9 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Very useful as always, Stuart. By the way, what did you press/do to get the info screen to show the car's driving stats all the same time. On the MK6 you have to scroll throught the pages one by one using the up/down arrows on the MF Steering wheel.

#10 radox

radox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • York, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi Marvin,

I think you just press the Car button on the media system and then it was one of the pages you can choose to display. Obviously with the larger screen of the media system it is able to display much more info at once than the dash multifunction display.

Hope that helps,
Stuart

#11 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi Marvin,

I think you just press the Car button on the media system and then it was one of the pages you can choose to display. Obviously with the larger screen of the media system it is able to display much more info at once than the dash multifunction display.

Hope that helps,
Stuart

Hi, thanks for that. I think I sussed that, just after I had posted that question to you. By the way, having sort of read a downloaded rather complicated user's manual, I think you turn off the ADC by pressing or holding the button on the steering wheel marked with a little Speedo icon (the same one used to initially activate the system)My only gripe about the wheel is that there are rather too many buttons either side and are fiddly to operate if you were ever to be wearing gloves!

#12 radox

radox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • York, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm not surprised there is a way to turn off the ADC. Like I said, the Mk 7 is very configurable.

I admit there are a lot of buttons on the multifunction steering wheel but they did appear to be well laid out and sized according to likely frequency of use. I'm not sure any car maker nowadays designs with gloved drivers in their mind.

Stuart

#13 Mark V

Mark V

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

So - if I understand the video link - Lane Assist activley steers the car to maintain it within the lane (rather than a seat vibration warning or suchlike)?

So in theory, if I have ACC in use and Lane Assist activated, as long as traffic speed is maintained above 65km/h (the minimum speed for Lane Assist to work from the video) then I can sit on the motorway with my feet of the pedals and arms folded for (traffic permitting) long distances as the Golf will keep me from hitting the car in front and/or wandering out of my lane?

#14 radox

radox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • York, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

The Mk 7 Golf I drove last week didn't have the Lane Assist feature so I cannot speak from experience but from it does look like it is supposed to be able to keep you in lane rather than merely warning you should you happen to move out of it unexpectedly. Clever!

Whilst Volkswagen appear to be getting pretty close to producing cars which could actually drive themselves without any human input, I think at the moment, legal issues mean that car makers can only add "driver aids" rather than "driver replacement" features. So at the moment I think Volkswagen would prefer you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times no matter how clever their systems are.

Hope that helps,
Stuart

#15 radox

radox

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • York, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

The adaptive cruise control's display on the dash in that video is different to what I saw last week in a UK spec Mk 7. Again, it is probably configurable.

There are a few separate indications on the dash related to the adaptive cruise control when it is active. The most prominent is the representation of the area in front of the car and also possibly a vehicle ahead which the system is monitoring, which occupies the large central area of the multifunction display (MFD). Last week I found that this display only appears when something changes. For example, either you come up behind a slower vehicle or an overtaking car pulls in quite close in front of you. This is different to in that video where this display is permanently on the MFD. Whilst this might be useful when you are getting used to the system, I think I would find this too distracting to have on all the time.

Stuart

#16 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

On the youtube clip the MFD image being shown for a comparative long time is partly because of the time/distance setting the driver has preset the car at.

More to the point is that the car is being driven at a 'cruising' speed of 140+ kph & it is coming up on a slower car in front so it will emphasise the situation for longer to the driver in view of the speeds involved as part of its function.

There is as you say a danger you end up watching the display rather than the road.

#17 Mark V

Mark V

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

The Mercedes Lane Assist feature 'steers' the car by left or right braking - rather than activley turning the wheel so its not something you would want to rely on to keep you in the right lane except as an emergency. If the VW system actually moves the wheel that would be much closer to an active steering system than a fall back emergency system. Of course Park Assist actually turns the wheel so maybe it does!

#18 Chrisdut

Chrisdut

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1947 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

the lane assist "tembles the steering wheel" like a dual shock controller on the PS3 does

so you know you are drifting out of the lane

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.