20 replies to this topic

#1 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ive just ordered a new GTD and added white paint, park assist, colour clocks, discover nav pro and winter pack. Am just wondering if its worth getting the reversing camera aswell seeing as though its only a £165 option. If i was to retro fit the camera I'd be looking at closer to £350ish. I decided against the dynamic chassis control at the last minute as it was pushing the price way up more than i wanted to pay. Never had the camera before on a car so is it worth it??

#2 Yohan

Yohan

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6327 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Do you often hit things when reversing?

If the answer is no, then I wouldn't bother.

#3 Markaz

Markaz

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Do you often hit things when reversing?

If the answer is no, then I wouldn't bother.

LOL

#4 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's a very nice thing to have and £160 across the cost of the car is nothing.

#5 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Never hit anything while reversing but thats not the point. Its prevention and for £165 im wondering if its worth it. Only adds a couple of quid to the payments but never having had one before just asking if its gimmicky?

#6 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have all round cameras on my Nissan and find them a distraction. Much prefer the beeps otherwise I end up looking at a screen rather than what's around me

#7 Jimble

Jimble

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I've got one on my mk6 and find it very useful, especially on dark car parks, i've ordered a mk7 GTI with similar spec to yours and just found out that the colour computer screen is now standard on the GTI/D so that'll save you £135 to put towards the camera.

i've ordered white, pan roof, pro nav, acc, keyless, park assist and camera.

#8 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

do you mean the color clocks are now standard?? they weren't yesterday!

#9 lucamag

lucamag

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Barton-Upon-Humber, Lincolnshire
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I personally find it a distraction.  Never had it in any of mine (Was never an option on the Sirocco) however the sensors or the park assist were more than enough for me.

I had a Golf Match with the Park Assist and reversing camera and because the car just parked itself most of the time, it was just a gimmic.

#10 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well worth the £165 imo and the resolution on the mk7 is improved .

#11 J400uk

J400uk

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

I think for the money its a worthwhile option and far cheaper to specify now than it will be to retrofit. Won't add much to the residual value but its a desirable feature which could help persuade a future buyer to purchase the car from you.

If you don't go for it remember the parking sensors do still display on the radio screen, and you get a radar display showing how far away any obstacles are. 

#12 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

I think for £165 I'm gong to just add it on.

#13 Jimble

Jimble

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

do you mean the color clocks are now standard?? they weren't yesterday!

I mean the computer display between the rev counter and speedometer in colour is now standard, i had a call from my dealer first thing this morning to tell me he had taken £135 off the price of the car for this reason as i'd specced it myself, ADC is also standard now, the spec is changing slightly day by day atm, such as colour availabilty, carbon steel grey is available but sunset red isn't even though the configurator doesn't reflect this.

#14 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

do you mean adaptive chassis control is standard too? that's a £795 option!

#15 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

ADC is standard anyway according to the brochure I've got. Going to ring about the colour display today and see what is said.

#16 Mark V

Mark V

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Camera is definately worth it! Loved it on my old MkVI - miss it on the Roc...

So - are you chaps ordering GTD and GTI's now getting any kind of discount? I have always got around 11% off a new Golf/Roc and will hold out for that before ordering a GTD?

#17 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Can confirm that colour clocks are now standard as Jimble said. Ive ordered the camera instead. Havent got a physical doscount as such but an extra 500 quid trade in and free gap insurance helps. Works out at about 3-4% but its better than nothing. Waiting would have been an option but i doubt youll get a brand new one this side of christmas by the looks of it. Initially only building to order (apparently) with a limited amount of allocation.

#18 Jimble

Jimble

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

do you mean adaptive chassis control is standard too? that's a £795 option!

No, that would've been ACC, and ADC wasn't originally standard, it was added the same time the car went from £27690 to £27915.

#19 TimB

TimB

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have a reversing camera on my Mk 6. I believe it's worth having; I based this on an experience with my previous Mk 5 where I hit a low wall then ran perpendicular to the back of the space whilst parking.

#20 Mark V

Mark V

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Waiting would have been an option but i doubt youll get a brand new one this side of christmas by the looks of it. Initially only building to order (apparently) with a limited amount of allocation.

Thank you - if I go for one I would not be pacing an order until 2014 anyway. I was always under the impression that Golfs higher up the range were largely built to order anyway apart from demo cars?

I think this notion of limited supply will calm down after a year or so - it always does once the 'New Golf'!!! hoo hah wears off ;-)

'Colour clocks' ?? You mean colour MFD?

#21 McMaddy

McMaddy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yeah sorry multifunction display. Totally agree with you Mark about the supply. Its obviously something they do for the initial influx and then when things settle down delivery times should reduce.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.