Mk4 Golf

Clutch/Gearbox!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:15 AM

I've got a 99 Golf Turbo. When cold the gearbox is awful between 1st and 2nd, sometimes can't get it into second.

Any ideas? Anything I could check/how?

Once it warms up, it's not as bad......

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 10:59 AM

My wifes 2001 GTI T has just started doing the same plus it all feels a bit grindy. This could be an oil thing.

I want to know if the engine and gearbox oil are separate.

#3 Mo

Mo

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 05:09 PM

Had the same problem with my last car.What my mechanic did was to change the gearbox oil using synthetic gear oil and an oil additive.Never had the problem again.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 01:44 AM

I think all 02J transmissions are a bit like

this. Mine is really juddery when it goes

in when cold. OK when warmed up. I have

Mobil 1 SHC 75-90 in there as well. I am

going to change my read dogmount bushing for

a poly one to see if this helps.

#5 batty

batty

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 06:53 AM

This problem is due to a weak synchromesh into 2nd gear. The old 02A gearbox used to have the same problem - I thought VW would have sorted this by now.

The basic design issue is that the synchro has to work realy hard when shifting from 1st to 2nd, because this represents the greatest ratio difference of all the gears. Most gearboxes use triple cone synchronisers on 2nd gear to synchronise this large speed difference.

The symptoms are worst when cold because: -

1. The co-efficient of friction between the oil and synchro cones is less when cold (more slippery), and

2. The oil is more difficult to wipe from between the friction surfaces when cold (more viscous or sticky)

and worse when worn because the friction surface has reduced on the synchro cones.

The problem is also worse when making a quick shift since the synchro unit needs to change the speed in less time.

I would recommend: -

1.VW should repair if still under warranty.

2.Synthetic oil may help the problem - but be careful since viscosity and / or co-efficient of friction changes can upset all the synchros.

3. Have a new synchro unit fitted on 2nd (Stealth Racing did my 02A transmission)

- Sorry if I sound a bit nerdy on this, but have recently been working on synchro design of the 4WD transmission fitted to the new Range Rover & on another transmission fitted to the Toureg & Cayenne.

- batty

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 03:31 PM

Ive just noticed a slight difference in gear changes on my car too (only 6 months old). I accidentaly managed to grind the gears between first and second the other day - and after that there now seems to be a slight pause when shifting between 1st and 2nd.

When shifting it sort of pauses in neutral for a split second before dropping into second. The same effect can be felt throughout the gears. Think I could have done any damage when the gears were ground?

It has started geting very cold round here recently though (-2 to 3) every day - and the gears seem to work better when the cars warmed up - which takes some time on the diesel! Plus at 4k, the engine isnt really all that well worn in yet i think.

Anyones opinion???

#7 hmi1750

hmi1750

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 05:18 PM

i had the problem in my mk3, and this bora has a very slow gear change, try to rush it like (dare i say it) in the HOnda and just grinds or wont go in... and yes i do depress the clutch fully...

#8 hmi1750

hmi1750

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 05:19 PM

oh, also, how do ii check the oil in the gearbox? as the car has a long way till service and only done 2k, dont want any further probs.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:22 AM

I had this too.

I got the stealer to adjust the cables, I put redline MTL in the box, and changed the rear engine (dogbone) mount bushings to the poly ones.

Still does it, but not as bad.

You still have to pause from 1st to 2nd when its cold.

Once warmed up its fine.

Its really bad if you're turning right at the same time as changing 1st to 2nd though when cold.

Mind you, its not as bad as the tractor gearbox in my wifes Maverick........

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for all the input, how can I check the gearbox oil level?

If it's low, where do I fill it up?!?!

#11 Hawkeye4658

Hawkeye4658

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia - previously Highworth UK
  • Golf VI GTI 2.0 210PS DSG

Posted 02 January 2003 - 06:50 AM

I have a 99 1.8T and had a problem with 2nd gear when it was quite new.

Took it to the stealers and twice they said they had adjusted it.

They had it the 3rd time, and had it overnight during a cold spell so that they could see what I meant and they eventually agreed that there was an issue and replaced the gearbox oil (under warranty) with Fully Synthetic oil and I haven't had a problem since...now done 49K and still okay!!!

#12 Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:42 AM

I had problems with my 1-2nd shift (99 1.8T GTi) and my dealer changed the whole box under warranty.

The new box still does it but not as bad as the original one. Notice it especially when the gearbox is cold (i.e worse in the winter) but gets easier as the gearbox oil warms up.

#13 Ricardo

Ricardo

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felix

Ive just noticed a slight difference in gear changes on my car too (only 6 months old). I accidentaly managed to grind the gears between first and second the other day - and after that there now seems to be a slight pause when shifting between 1st and 2nd.

When shifting it sort of pauses in neutral for a split second before dropping into second. The same effect can be felt throughout the gears. Think I could have done any damage when the gears were ground?

It has started geting very cold round here recently though (-2 to 3) every day - and the gears seem to work better when the cars warmed up - which takes some time on the diesel! Plus at 4k, the engine isnt really all that well worn in yet i think.

Anyones opinion???

As mine was probably v close to yours on the assembly line (ex Bentleys) I havent any problems like this, however, have gratted ? them a couple o times recently, think its down to the cold, but only on a downshift[:I][:I], and no subsequent problem.

Also mines at 21K and nothing helps the engine (heater) work more quickly[:(][:(] except use!

I used to have a problem like this on my megane, helped by the garage putting some better oil in (dont remember what) which helped on cold days but not hugely.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:41 AM

I'm still having this problem! My dealer won't do anything more than adjust the cables which they have aleady done. Just have to take it slow, which is annoying when you have to cane it out of a slip road on the motorway! Is it anything to do with the hydraulic clutch? It is slow into 1st gear as well which makes me think that the pressure is too low.

I will take it back to the dealer when I can get some time off work.

Simon

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:05 AM

Mines also a 99T and I have no probs with 1st to 2nd, however fast.

Hideous graunches when s electing reverse Fast sometimes.... (and yes I am stationary!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.