Mk4 Golf

how do i fit a gearknob!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

hey, ive just bought a gearknob from halfords, a £49 chrome one, looks the dogs, but im having a bit of diffecaulty putting in on.!

i mean how does the other gear knob come out ive no idea !

elp!

[:(]

#2 Reflex TDI

Reflex TDI

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:05 AM

Can't help on fitting the Halfords jobbie.

To remove the VW one, prise off the gaiter surround, which is held in place by small clips at the front and rear. Pull the leather up over the knob[:I].

You will see a brass clip, which secures the knob within a recess on the shaft. Stick a screwdriver in this, and prise it open. The gearknob will then lift off.

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 01:55 AM

I wasnt aware the Halfords etc knobs would fit, as they are screw on heads arent they??

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:37 AM

Chris is right. You will see a plastic "sleeve" which slides over the actual metal gear stick and which the brass clip holds the knob to the gear stick. There is also a plastic sleeve near the base of the knob which clips over a disc on the main plastic sleeve which holds the gaitor tight to the bottom of the knob. So basically if it isn't designed to fit a MK iV golf then you will probably have to resort to grub screws and you may have a problem making the gaitor fit neatly.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but vw seem to have used an ingenious way to fix the gearknob, but it does a neat job.

I may be wrong there might be a satisfactory way to fit it, but i had a quick look not so long ago and decided the vw way was best.

Hope this helps.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 03:09 PM

hey, well a quick word to my mate over at vw and he tells me thats u can fit it but it will take some work, have to use the clips and screws provided. but he did say however the tt gearknob will fit, so ill get that one off him :()

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:37 PM

Hi all

I have just got a MOMO gearknob from also from halfords, Doesn't screw on So it does fit and looks the dogs! But how do I get the gaiter of the old Knob? Or do I have to buy a new gaiter?

Many Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.