Mk4 Golf

4th gear shakes !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:51 AM

My problem happens only when in 4th gear and only between 40-45mph. Basically, the gearstick shakes/vibrates pretty violently, but once passed 45mph, it goes away !

This happens in no other gears, and I've tried it in 3rd and 5th at the same speed and it does not replicate [:O]

I've been to VW twice for 2 separate opinions :

Opinion 1 : the gearstick is broken and needs replacing ! Rubbish, absolute rubbish, the problem only happens in 4th, so how can the whole gearstick be knackered.

Opinion 2 : the problem seems to be coming up the shaft from the engine, so it will need putting in the garage for a day stripped down to see where the fault is. Oh, and apparently there is a VW bulletin for a fault very similar to mine.

Is there anyone on this forum who has a similar problem to mine, and what is a VW bulletin when it's at home ?

Sorry for the long post [;)]

Cheers

handsy

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 02:07 PM

It's a very well published fault, mainly on earlier cars but can affect later models. I had to have the s elector shaft on the gearbox changed to fix mine (under warranty). My dealer total ignored my reports of a problem untill I found the Technical Service Bulletin on the internet relating to this problem. Only problem is I can't find the site that listed the TSB now...... I'll keep looking for you. It gave details of how to make adjustments to the s elector to prevent the problem and also a replacement partnumber if the adjustment didn't work.

HTH

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:31 AM

That is brilliant news, at least I know I'm not alone in my troubles.

If you could find that TSB, that would be v.v.v.v.v.helpful, as VW will not let me know the code or the bulletin details [:(]

I want this fixed, but I refuse to pay the £60/hr that VW want for labour !

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:56 AM

Here you go.... found it

http://www.20vturbo....pdf/v349904.pdf

I would print it our and take it to your dealer if I was you.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:03 AM

Is this the same issues as engine shudder when the vehicle is free wheeling???

I thought the cure to the vibrations from the engine were to to do with faulty fly wheels.

Can someone confirm what was the cure to engine shudders as its becoming quite annoying. I have no warranty left and i need to fix it.

#6 Josh_PoloGTi

Josh_PoloGTi

OldSkool Crew

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Sheffield, UK
  • Scirocco GT TSI 2.0 D6F 200PS DSG

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:17 PM

I know we have different cars, but my gear stick moves forward about 1/2 an inch if I'm in 4th and I let the gas off completely. When I put my foot back on the gas, the stick moves backwards about 1/2 and inch!

This only happens in 4th gear (I'm now on my 3rd gearbox, and they've all done it!)

The B&M Sport Shifter reduces the amount it goes back and forth, but it's still annoying!

Any ideas (I've asked another 6N2 Polo owner (different engine) and his does the same!)?

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 05:42 AM

Josh, sounds like VW need to conquer the problem with their gearboxes. 4th sounds like it's the main problem for everybody. The Polo GTI I drove a few weeks back had a 4th gear that just refused to slip in without a grind and kept popping out when you took your foot off the gas.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 03:45 AM

I'd just like to say thanks to Marky Mark [:D]

I printed off the TSB you gave me a link to....took it to my local VW dealer and asked them to do exactly what the TSB said.

They did so, and I now have a perfect gearstick [^]

I am the happiest man alive [;)]

I hope this post helps all you others who have the same problem.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 04:21 AM

Well done, glad it helped.

Funny thing is that when i had the same problem my VW dealer completly denided knowledge of the TSB. Eventually found the TSB on the internet and showed them it. They did the work and all was well. I no longer used the dealer I bought the car from but when I took it to Heron at Newark they were fully aware of the problem and knew about the TSB. Perhaps my selling dealer needs to buck their ideas up if they want to stand any chance of ever selling me another car!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.