Mk4 Golf

Differential noise

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:00 AM

Anyone had a whinning noise from the transmission starts at about 25mph.The main dealer has changed the gearbox but the noise is still there even though it sounds slightly different. The main dealer says it is a known VW problem but there is no fix available! Has anyone else had this problem? (its the 6 speed box) or does anyone have any ideas?

#2 hmi1750

hmi1750

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 12:43 PM

yes i have the noise, the car had its first service a few weeks ago and they said nothing was wrong, though the noise is still there... if you do a search, this has been discussed before, seems a fair no. of ppl have it.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the info I thought I was the only one! Has anyone found a cure or has everyone had to put up with it?

#4 spanner

spanner

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:18 AM

I get a crunching diff like noise when I pull off probably around 10mph. My old PD115 used to do it too, but only when one of the wheels was loosing traction. My 20v Turbo always does it whether a wheel is spinning or not.

#5 hmi1750

hmi1750

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:12 AM

spanner that's a different noise, i think its the traction control kicking in...

#6 spanner

spanner

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:41 AM

That's what I used to think but I haven't got Traction Control as mines a 1999 non-DBW 20v Turbo [:(]

Could possibly be the EDL but i'm not even sure if that's fitted to mine either !

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:07 AM

Does anyone know if the diff noise gets better or worse with age? The main dealer has asked me to see how it goes for a few miles!!! My car has only got 8000 miles so far. When I first got the car there was no whine, thats why I got them to change the gearbox at 7000 miles but it didnt really get any better. They have checked wheel bearings etc and admit the noise is coming from the gearbox.

#8 Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 05:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spanner

That's what I used to think but I haven't got Traction Control as mines a 1999 non-DBW 20v Turbo [:(]

Could possibly be the EDL but i'm not even sure if that's fitted to mine either !

Yes you should have EDL which works up to 25MPH. I wouldn't be that down about having a non-DBW, one level of electronics less to go wrong.[^]

#9 spanner

spanner

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 05:38 AM

Deffo not down about the non-DBW. Love my car. Like you say, less electronic gubbins to go wrong and just as fast [8D]

#10 hmi1750

hmi1750

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidandtracy

Does anyone know if the diff noise gets better or worse with age? The main dealer has asked me to see how it goes for a few miles!!! My car has only got 8000 miles so far. When I first got the car there was no whine, thats why I got them to change the gearbox at 7000 miles but it didnt really get any better. They have checked wheel bearings etc and admit the noise is coming from the gearbox.

I have had the noise increase slightly since the car was new (only a yr old now).. the noise isn't getting any louder and as i said before, the dealer cant correct it... but they do admit it is the gearbox.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 10:33 AM

Thanks hmi1750

Ive heard just today from the main dealer that there are a large amount of cars with the same noise. Seems suprising that there is no fix as its their flagship gearbox!!

#12 ToneD

ToneD

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:38 AM

I get whining, had it since day 1, been to dealers who are clearly deaf as they replaced a wheel bearing (even though the whining goes when press clutch in) - WTF?! Now that very same wheel bearing is noisy (as well as gearbox) so they bodged it[V][V] So it's got to go back and I've got to waste my time explaining problem etc. and get nowhere with it (along with the dozen or so other "features" on the car) - shame that certain things like dealer and quality of car have ruined my first experience of a VW car coz i'll never buy another...it still makes me smile when I boot it so not all gloom and doom [;)]

oh yeh, my whining occurs around 40mph in 3rd and 4th when keep speed constant or liftoff gas and coast (now at 17000 miles) - I only used to get it when liftoff and coast so get getting worse??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.