Mk4 Golf

Crunch when selecting gears...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:03 PM

I have a Leon Cupra R (OK I probably shouldnt be here[:I]) and I'm experiencing similar problems to you guys I think with s electing gears.

Basically its very crunchy when cold and never really clears up as the temperature rises:( Its had a new gearbox fitted by the dealer and its absolutly no different:(

I can show the symptoms by slowly moving the lever into gear as it gets about half way in ther is a terrible crunching noise as if you are trying to s elect a gear without the clutch depressed fully even though its on the floor!

Have you guys got any ideas? I thought it could be the gear s elector stuff or the clutch not fully releasing etc??

Sorry for posting here but this seems to be the only place I cn find with VAG transmission related posts!

Cheers guys

Matt

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:19 PM

Did you have the clutch looked at/ replaced aswell?

How many miles is the car on?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

Cheers for the reply!:)

Basically I just asked them to sort it so I assumed that would mean looking at the whole gearbox / clutch area but obviously not! This work was done with around 5k miles on the clock. I've since been really busy and not pursued it any further car has 8k miles on the clock now and is no different. Its been like it from very early on.

Particulary bad shifting from first to second at about 10-20 mph.

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:32 PM

Hmm,

Get some time out to get the clutch looked at then Matt. If a new gearbox didnt cure it, its unlikely that 2 gearboxes give the same problem.

On a seperate note :

On my first Gti Turbo, I had the problem of reverse CRUNCHING everytime. The only way to avoid it was to first s elect 2nd gear, and then s elect reverse!! work that one out! Anyway the dealer sorted it out at the first 10k mile service.

Is your main dealer helpful enough?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:40 PM

Cheers bud:)

I started to think it wasnt worth persuing but I will get them to check it out at the 10k service I think. They are pretty good guys and do seem to get stuff sorted out. Its one of those things where I need to demo it I think:)

What did they do to yours at the 10k service then?? Or didnt they tell you:o hehe

Thanks again for ur advice!:)

m

#6 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:24 PM

10k service is abit of a laugh.

I paid something like £150 all inc. Which included Fully synthetic oil (i specified) and oil filter. They also greased the door hinges and checked over the car generally. No other parts were used.

And that's it! £150 for oil and filter change, some grease and an hours labour! (about £25 to you and me for the parts!) Bloody con if you ask me, but then that's how they survive!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:05 AM

Its a damn rip off isnt it!:o

I think mine is around 80-90 quid so not quite bad as 150!

Gears werent so crunchy this morning! typical!!

I may well get the mini disc recorder out and record the loverly brrrrrrrruuuuuuuumm crunch brrrrrrrrrrum crunch and post it up! hehe

m

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:40 AM

I have the exact same problem mate! When shifting from first to second, intermittently, I get a crunch.... I just cringe when I hear it! I've taken it to VW Heathrow... who after performing a "test drive" of approximately 100 meters (according to the display which I reset as soon as I left the car with them) it didn't experience any problems s electing gears, I was told! I'm still getting it... I think it’s the clutch that is causing it

On a similar note, I had a friend of mine who purchased a brand new 1.9 Diesel Golf Match; all the papers signed the deal was closed.. when trying to reverse it out of the showroom however, she discovered that reverse wouldn't engage! Needless to say she swiftly cancelled the order and asked for her money back, despite the dealer spending a good 3 hours trying to fix it there and then... they eventually gave up but offered to replace the gearbox free of charge.... Needless to say she wasn't convinced!!

Good luck with the gearbox let us know how you get on cos it's a very common problem with Golf’s particularly 1st -> 2nd gear engagement.

Raj

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:29 AM

Like you say it really makes you cringe! :o They heard the noise and dropped a new gear box in straight away but this one still has the same thing. Ive tried a TDi 130 ibiza loan car with the 6 speed box and that did it a bit too:(

I dont know if you have tried shifting gear really really slowly ie dip clutch and hold the lever and move it in 5mm steps every second or so. Just as it gets to going into gear it sounds like the two cant mesh together and it crunches and grinds.. The garage suspected dodgy synchos but they looked fine on the old box apparently! :( If one of you golf guys could give that a go I would appreciate to know what its like on yours!

Thanks for the replys:)

m

#10 Toff

Toff

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:35 PM

I'm sure they would have checked this..

But it sounds as if the clutch is not releasing the clutch plate fully. Perhaps the clutch cable needs adjusting so there's a shorter amount of cable between the clutch-pedal and the clutch iteslf??

I'm worried, I'm having a Seat Leon Cupra 6 speed fitted to my car at the moment.. but apparently an Audi clutch (with large centre spline) as been used instead of a Seat unit. Let me know if you want more info!

- Toff.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:17 AM

I'm not very technical here so please bear with me ;)

I thought it had a hydraulic clutch and therefor no cable? Thats certainly what it feels like though! Just cant push the clutch in far eneough! But having said that the biting point is still quite near the top of the travel!

Let me know what yours is like when its up and going mate!

Cheers

m

#12 Toff

Toff

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 05:16 AM

You may be correct AutoMatt! Can anybody else clarify?

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:46 PM

Well i had a prod around today and I couldnt see a clutch cable but then maybe its just not obvious? That cable gear linkage is a bit of a scarey piece of engineering ;)

Whens yours gunna be finished then toff??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.