Which Golf is better - the Mk4 or Mk5 - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Which Golf is better - the Mk4 or Mk5

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 skyrat

skyrat

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

I am lookng at getting a new car and want something better built and more reliable then my current french rubbish (Peugeot 306 GTi-6).

I was looking at the Golf Mk4 TDI 150, but I soon realised that these cars are at least 4 years old and being diesel tend to be high mileage.

I am still looking at Mk4's but because I need to get rid of the Pug ASAP (before it costs me anymore money) I may have to consider the Mk5's - how do these compare to the Mk4's ?

What version of Mk5 Golfs are the equivalent to the Mk4 TDI 150 ?

My absolute maximum budget is 10,000

#2 v2brett

v2brett

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

i suppose the equivalent is a mk5 tdi 140, id get scanning the autotrader for some prices.  IMO both cars have there strong points.

if you spent 10K on a mk4 you should get something with reasonable mileage and very decent spec, happy hunting[:D]

heres a couple of examples mate; 

theres a mk5 tdi on trader @ 9995 with 32,000miles on and its a gti look-a-like or theres a mk4 anni @ 9750 with 59,000 miles

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

Its totally which one you prefer! I personally much prefer the mk4!

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

im not sure which one is better but i preffer the mk4, not to keen on the new shape of the mkv

#5 maxitrol

maxitrol

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6209 posts
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

when i went to lokk at the mk v golf i didn't like it at first but when i took it out for a test drive..just amazed  how much better of a car it was over my brothers mk iv gt tdi...

#6 eblaster101

eblaster101

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

again dont like the look of the mk5 but i i have seen the interior of the mk5 and i thought it was so much nicer and looked solid

#7 Kaz219

Kaz219

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Mk5 - More refined and better handling.

Mk4 - You'll get a top end one for that kind of money - leather, heated seats, 150PD model, xenons, montreal II wheels + more. Decent mileage.

Out of the two, i'm going for a MK5 GTTDI 140 as its newer, looks better IMO, more refined and its a lot queiter it is to drive compared to the mk4, there's not that many modified one's as i want a new project, ermm....that's about it.

Bad points - MK5 - interior looks dodgy n cheapish, hard to find decent parts to mod them up, hard to get second parts as they're only 3yrs old or so. There's that 170bhp which pull up beside you at the lights one day...nothing a remap won't sort though :D

Mk4 - made frm 1998 - 2004 with no physical diferences. Interior bits tend to break - Astray, drinks holder and on my curent golf, bits have started to rattle with the dash and its a late 2003 on a 53 :S

That's just my opnion anyway. Its completely up to you. Both cars are extremly good and i don't think theres much in it. Just drive both...that's what done it for me anyway :D

Good luck

#8 Kaz219

Kaz219

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Or..geta Anni :D

If i could get insured on one, i probably would...

And plus, they'll hold their value better than any other golf mk5 or mk4 diesel if your planning on keeping it long termm...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#9 skyrat

skyrat

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

That Anni on ebay looks great !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-1-9TDI-PD-GTI-Anniversary-Ltd-Edn-Hatch_W0QQitemZ290213767013QQihZ019QQcategoryZ9873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  

Good mileage and price as well.

But after weeks of searching, when I find something nice like that Ive found its at least a few hundred miles away.

So I put the post code into Google maps, hit enter and thought to myself "I wonder where in the scottish hebrides this one will be"

I was a little bit off.... its actually in northern ireland !

Why are all the good ones hundreds and hundreds of miles away in ireland or the far edge of scotland ?

Even the sh1tty ones are nearly a hundred miles away.

#10 suj

suj

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Mk5 interior is so shoot, it's as if they took a step back, compared to the Mk4. For this reason I'd go for the most expensive and nice Mk4 you can find.

Golf Mk4 1.8T 25th Anni. All standard.  :) Fully registered VCDS v. 15.7 (as of 13/10/15) - alarm chirp, auto lock and unlock etc, fault codes scan/clear, basic settings, output tests etc in the Manchester area - PM me  :D

248751.png

#11 Kaz219

Kaz219

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Down south...cars are cheaper due to congestion charge...

Scotland and them kinda areas, there aren't as much people compared to the city therefore, a smaller market. So they'll be selling cheaper.

Go N.I or get the guy to meet you in England and you'll pay price for ferry...

That one's difinitly a bargain...

We bought an Evo Vi a year ago from the top of scotland.

8hr drive it was...we had a mad road trip but saved Over 2k and it was well worth the trip..Cost around 250 inc

A year later, the car sold for 150 less than we paid for it...

But keep in mind...it could be a waste of trip if the car turns out to be banger (mashed engine, dodgy bodywork etc.) !

Good luck - I'll keep an eye out for a cheap anni for you in England !

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

get the mintiest of mint Mk4 anni - and look after it. You will get SO much enjoyment out of it and it will hold its value, but you may not have enough time to wait for one to come along though!

Mk5s are a fair bit bigger than the mk4, if that is of any consequence. Plenty to chose from - usually in grey!

#13 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

Go to Ireland and pay 10k for a nearly six year old car? You're havin a laff aren't you? Mk4 Golfs (even the Anni versions) at that age aren't worth that much.

#14 Dod 1396

Dod 1396

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:30 AM

I think you'll find low mileage Anni's(PD's) are selling all day long at 10-11K

#15 Eddie-NL

Eddie-NL

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1251 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

I would agree that 10k for a golf that is six years old is daft, and I certainly wouldn't buy one. But there are people who will and while they do the traders will sell them. new GTi Edition 30 onwner are p***ed off that VW have not kept to limiting the numbers to 1500 so they will loose more on resale values.

Highline Cluster swops 2004 - 2013 Genuine VAG Commander, VAG CAN PRO, VCDS, Retrofitting Cruise, CAN Gateway, Park Assist and Much more

#16 Kaz219

Kaz219

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Anni's - They're extremly rare and will get rarer as people crash them or clock up the mileage...

Look at the Sierra Cosworths, Golf Mk1 Cabs, Evo Vi Tommi Mac, Subaru Impreza P1, Corrados G60 and Golf G60....

For a golf G60, G reg, 100k, fetch about 4-5k and that's due to how rare they are...

Mk1 Cab, Good example from 3k to around 7-8 depending onthe work put in to in - and they're basic old cars...

Even the Tomi Mac Evos are about 11-12k and you can pick up a evo 7 or 8 for that price or even less..

An Anni will be a future classic and I'd love to have one and keep one...

If you look at my posted topics, there's a guy that has one 0miles in an air tight bag...

I'd definitly pay 10k for a an anni than a mk5 as in couple of  with years time, the anni should be worth more than a mk5 if cared for properly and not too much mileage...

Even now, the good annis (10k-12k) cost about the same as the mk5 tdi 140...

Its completely up to you...but for fun, for uniqueness, less depreciation, better looks, more value for money (18" BBS, Red/black recaro interior, full anni bodykit, the little metal badge that says x out of 1500) get an anni.

You won't have to modify it in any way and IMO, you will have the better car.

Thats my opinion anyway...N I'm the guy who spent 13k on his Golf 1.4 and is selling it for 7k :D - I wish i'd have bought a anni now and paid the 3k insurance..i would have been better off  lol

Good luckk

#17 Kaz219

Kaz219

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1527 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

PS. Heres one at a really good price.

http://search.autotr...pr=&max_mileage=

or lower mileage

http://search.autotr...pr=&max_mileage=

I'd get the lower one and it's not too far frm me so its not in Ireland :P

#18 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

The thing that concerns me with the "Irish one" is what's it doing in Ireland with standard plates on it? I'd be suspicious as to the history of a car that's being moved from country to country to sell it. Makes tracing the history very difficult, and prospective buyers are more likely to buy on the viewing visit having done all the negotiations over the phone. Very dangerous thing to do in my opinion.

#19 skyrat

skyrat

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

The Anni's are nice tho I didnt really want to pay nearly 10K for a car thats done over 50k miles.

The other thing is that I have a 2 year old daughter.

Although I prefer 3 doors, a 5 door would make life much easier.

My current car is a 3 door (306 GTi-6).

At least the mk4 golfs in a 5 door still look good - most 5 door cars dont.

But the Anni's were never made in a 5 door.

I also dont want to pay a huge amount in insurance - tho ive never had a quote for an Anni so I dont know what the price difference would be.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.