Twin indicator - My days tinkering

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Well after giving up on joey modding my headlights I was back to standard headlights with a donor set of lights smashed to pieces.

Decided I'd just keep the standard lights and do the twin indicator mod using the indicators from the donor set instead.

Now most people, and in all the how-to's across the forums, just make up makeshift brackets as the indicator brackets dont line up with the fog/blank mounts.

I don't have any spare metal lying around I could form brackets out of, so I set about doing it differently.

The standard light with blank(non fog version):

Posted Image

Then I took a hacksaw to the bracket on the fog blank, cutting 3mm down the arm:

Posted Image

One still to be cut, and whats left of the cut bracket:

Posted Image

I then plastic welded the blank bracket onto the indicator lens, making sure I marked where it was to be positioned. This took some time getting right, holding it into the light housing to check it was alligned properly. I used scraps of plastic to build up a super strong weld behind and below the bracket onto the unit.

Standard indicator unit beside the other with the bracket plastic welded into position:

Posted Image

A view from the front of the bracket in place:

Posted Image

A closeup of the back:

Posted Image

Now all that was left to do was screw the indicator into place. The finished article:

Posted Image

Will be making a wiring loom at the weekend for these. What does everyone think of this method?

#2 cesc

cesc

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

I like it, very novel idea. 

#3 Filby1

Filby1

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

But Why?

Is it just to be different?

#4 s31teg

s31teg

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

But Why?

Is it just to be different?

is that not why most people mod there car?

#5 Collie

Collie

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

why not filby, hes not using the blanks as he has no fogs.

I like the idea, nioce to see some one doing a bit to there car rather than chatting about it.

#6 R44MS_K

R44MS_K

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

very good!

i wanted to carry out this mod on my standard headlights after i fitted a HID aftermarket xenon kit for the "authentic" oem xenon look!

OEM xenon headlights (like those fitted on R32s) do not have a fog light but an indicator - ie twin indicators per headlight 

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

As said, the reflecting domes of the fog light blank were doing hee-haw and I had the spare set of lights left over from the joey mod. Its something a little different, being bog standard lamps with a twin indicator. It doesn't serve any real purpose except from that.

It was pretty simple to do and I had spare time in between spraying some parts up, so why not. All forms of modding is to make your car individual and different.

Was also a bit of a mini challenge so to speak, as most people (if not all) who have done this just made makeshift brackets. I decided to do it differently with the plastic welding. Its super strong, and since it uses the original bracket, its a perfect fit.

#8 c4nny

c4nny

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

I kinda like it i'm in the middle of trying to joey a set of lamps and was looking into if I could modify the fog lamp lens to fit the indicator as i think it may look good.

Have you thought about using silver indicator bulbs as I think it may look better? 

#9 ad-sport

ad-sport

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

looks cool that pal, how about silver bulbs as well?

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

I may consider silver bulbs once I've got everything else to finish the car off bought and paid for. I think it looks not bad with the orange bulbs, so at the minute can't justify silver bulbs unless someone can post a picture to convince me otherwise.

What are the legalities of indicators? I was thinking of wiring them in such a way the top and bottom alternatingly blink. Otherwise, they will just be getting wired up to blink simultaneously.

#11 ad-sport

ad-sport

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

what as in drivers high and passenger low?? as long as something flashes amber its legal i think

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Say I'm turning right, rather than both the right headlight indicators flashing at the same time, the top one would blink, then the bottom, then the top etc etc. It would blink at the usual speed, just one would be going off as the other comes on.

#13 wilkie

wilkie

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Thats a great way of doing the mod.....I would leave them with normal bulbs to get that OEM look. I seen somewired up and they look real good when both flashing. 

Also, if anyones interested.....I got two spare indi housing hiding in my shed.

#14 JulesT

JulesT

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to do this with Depo projector headlights, or would that be more complicated?

Posted Image

#15 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50126 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yes it can be done with any that have the indicator and foglight vertically aligned like that,but it would be a real shame to make it get off that comfy chair,it looks soooooo happy there[|-)][:DD].

#16 w-all-ace

w-all-ace

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Looks good pal

#17 d9n_dk

d9n_dk

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

nice one bud looks good 

#18 JulesT

JulesT

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Lol, thank's! It's in the box today, it's the other one's turn to sit in the comfy chair [:D]

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.