Photo

1.9 TDI or 2.0 SDI.....?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi All, have just stumbled across this site so I thought I'd post [:D]. Im looking for a bit of advice.

I have been looking for a 1.9 TDi on a 04/05 plate. The only thing now is that my insurance company are trying to mug me off and make me pay 700 just to change over my policy for 5 months!!!!!

I have read a few bad things about the 2.0 SDi's, are they really that bad? It is cheaper for me to insurance one of these, but I know the performance isn't as good. Being as I'm 21, my age goes against me. Should I just risk it and get a SDi?

#2 bud572

bud572

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

I was looking at both models like yourself, I test drove both too... trust me, do not even entertain the 2.0 SDI - Its appauling - moves so so slow especially for a weightier car.

When I jumped into the 1.9TDI, although my insurance went up 300 (over a space of 8 months left remaining) it is worth every penny in comparison.

My insurance wanted the full 300 too, but then I asked if they could spread it over the remaining months, they said no... I asked to speak to a superior as I said I know they can, next thing, they did it for me :)

#3 eyeamsparticus

eyeamsparticus

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

I think both the 1.9tdi and 2.0Dsi are in the same insurance group 6 so doubt there's any savings to be had.

Go to somehwere like www.confused.com and take a look how much you'd pay over 12 months for the car. Then contact your current insurer and ask how much money would you get back if you cancelled your policy. 700 over 5 months for a group 6 car seems like a lot of dosh to me. Thats the equivelent of paying near on 1700 a year.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

I would stay away from an SDI. It really is a bad engine(due to it having no turbo and being so slow it'll likely kill you when pulling out of a junction - infact, it should never been made, just like the 2.0 8v should never have received a GTI bad.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:54 AM

When I was looking I test drove a 1.9 TDI, this felt ok for the car but it certainly wouldn't want to have less power.  Reviews of the SDI say it is very underpowered for the car and is based on old technology.

Have you test driven both? 

#6 Ormy

Ormy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

My dad has one, it truly is awful, if you buy one you'll regret it for as long as you live! 

#7 cabby86

cabby86

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

1.9 TDI, as others have said the 2.0 SDI is sooo slow. Insurance on a 1.9 should not be that bad, I have an 1.9 sport and was paying just under 800 at 20 with no no claims discount.

Chris

#8 MikeyGolfgt

MikeyGolfgt

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

What is so bad about the Sdi's? any problems i should be made aware of? :$

I have an MK4 SDI and its brilliant apart from no elecy windows/mirrors/no rear speakers and only 68 BHP but im 19 and i love my car and got it cheap :) AND group 4 insurance!!!!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

What is so bad about the Sdi's? any problems i should be made aware of? :$

Well, diesels are generally slow without a turbo, and the SDI has no turbo :)

All those GT TDI's use the same engine as a SDI I think? Just with a turbo on it.

What is bad can also be good, i'd say the SDI might prove to be a LOT more reliable than a TDI.

#10 b0rk

b0rk

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

All those GT TDI's use the same engine as a SDI I think? Just with a turbo on it.

The SDI is 8 valve SOHC whilst the 2.0TDI's are 16 value DOHC. The SDI is IIRC an early development version upon which the 2.0 TDI where later developed.

#11 Roger Irrelevant

Roger Irrelevant

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

What is bad can also be good, i'd say the SDI might prove to be a LOT more reliable than a TDI.

That's probably fair to say, except for the fact that TDIs tend to be pretty much reliable themselves.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:44 AM

Hey ccfc 1927

it'll be ccfc 2008[B][D][<:o)]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

id try your best to go for a 1.9tdi.

I have a mk5 sdi. o7 plate. i love my car. handles well, looks great. build quality is second to none, but i constantly find myself wishing i could overtake and accelerate more confidently. drove a 1.9 and although it wasnt fast, it wasnt slow, which the sdi just is.

0-60 comes in over 16 seconds and it doesnt do much over 100 at a push. down i ahii i can get 118 tho (huge hill + wind on my back tho) lolz

power chip helps a bit. smokes when it has supermarket crap in the tank tho.

#14 lexlennox

lexlennox

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:40 AM

My old 1.4 mk4 beats my friends 2.0 SDI mk5, its really not worth it mate 74bhp in such a heavy car isnt fun and the sound of the rough diesel isnt nice without the turbo hiss. go for the 1.9 TDI mate, theres more tuning potential with the turbo. . LEX

#15 carlosmk4t

carlosmk4t

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:45 AM

I wouldn't even bother with an SDI. They are cheap but a TDI will have better residuals anyway.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

I have got the sdi too, and i have the same problem, qwich Q u mentioned you
have a power chip can u supply me more details on that plz, such as product
details

Regards

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

I have got the sdi too, and i have the same problem, qwich Q u mentioned you
have a power chip can u supply me more details on that plz, such as product
details

Regards

Asif

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

I have the sdi too and u mentioned u have a power chip could u give more details on that,

#19 14N GTTDI

14N GTTDI

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1753 posts
  • Margate
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Defo shop around on your insurance, and get a 1.9tdi instead unless your not fussed about power etc, at 21 it shouldn't be that much to insure one, i had a ST170 at 21 and it was around £500 fully comp, now at 24 my tdi is around £400 but try a comparison web site then ring them up as you'll be able to get it bit cheaper still because your going direct to the insurer not through a 3rd party,

also try direct line and companies like that, they're usualy pretty good

Ian

#20 Leanne

Leanne

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Horsham, West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

I find brokers are good as they have access to several insurers, and some that you might not necessarily know but that offer fantastic deals.

#21 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

18 months old, people. 18 months.....[;)]

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.